Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-01-2008, 03:35 PM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

@@#$%%^ @##$$%%^^ @#%%^^. I lost two shingles from my house, and it is, of course, on the steepest part of the roof. I HATE heights!! I guess I'll have to suck it up and fix the roof, but since this is the second hurricane it has gone through I think a new roof is in order.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2008, 04:19 PM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just talked to a buddy from New Orleans. He stayed like a nut. His wife and parents(living with him) drove back to Meridian but he stayed with his animals. He does live in an area that is a little higher and has not flooded in previous storms. But I can't see staying when you know the power will probably be off for several days. He does have a gas generator, but I would have gotten the heck out of there. He did say the storm didn't appear to be that bad but the power went out at 5:30 a.m.

Oh well, to each his own. He's not dumb though. He was an engineer for Chevron Oil and retired at the age of 44. Common sense? Well.............

Old 09-01-2008, 04:48 PM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Bubba and Ricki are fine(Slidell) - so who is Bubba and Ricki say's I? She tells me I meet them years ago - Evelyn's daughter and her little brother who is forty something.

Riiiiight. ok ok so the power may be out many places - but this time the phones are working much better and she is taking role call - and she knows a lot of people.

So far pretty much - the usual no power, trees down with some minor damage among the ones we know.

heh heh heh - Not over til it's over - but so far .
Old 09-01-2008, 06:33 PM   #124
Administrator

Slidell is an eastern suburb of New Orleans, bordering on Mississippi, so hopefully that worked in their favor a little as far as wind goes since the storm was to the west, UncleMick. I'm glad they didn't get too much storm surge though.

One of my neighbors stayed, and says that my shutters were torn off but no flooding, my tree didn't fall down, and I still have a roof!! There is no electricity. After Katrina, no electricity meant no plumbing/sewerage/water too since the pumps were down. Don't ask me - - I don't understand the fine points of city sewage all that well. As soon as Parish officials can evaluate the overall damage and what needs to be done, they will let us know when we will be allowed to return. Hopefully that won't be long. More info from the Parish at 7 PM. WWL radio reports that it is not safe at all to return yet because of all the downed trees and power lines.

When I called my agency's emergency number for employees, all I got was a recording saying that we are on admin leave indefinitely, and to call again tomorrow for more information. Electricity is out at work, too, I gather, since I just get a busy signal when trying to get to my work voicemail.

Overall, it could have been worse.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:44 PM   #125

glad to hear so far you all survived in good shape. now to see where hanna goes (good luck sarah) and then were ike goes (good luck me). i'm getting real tired of this real fast. just a few more weeks till we come off peak season. looking foward to a boring post-hurricane season.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:55 PM   #126
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
glad to hear so far you all survived in good shape. now to see where hanna goes (good luck sarah) and then were ike goes (good luck me). i'm getting real tired of this real fast. just a few more weeks till we come off peak season. looking foward to a boring post-hurricane season.
Yeah, and check out the NHC website - - there are 3 more areas of concern in the Atlantic right now, too (other than Gustav, Hanna, and Ivan) Ike, even if they aren't named storms as yet. Looks like a rugged September coming up.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-01-2008, 07:04 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Nags Head, NC vacation this 14th thru the 21st.

heh heh heh heh heh heh

May have to whip up a gris gris bag for good luck.

heh heh heh - .
Old 09-01-2008, 07:40 PM   #128

Uncle, be sure your bag covers me in Chucktown, now!
Glad to hear it wasn't too bad in Louisiana for y'all!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:43 PM   #129

Darn, W2R, you scared me with that Ivan--I'm like hey, we've already had that storm. I now see the new one is Ike. Great--that is just what Lazy and the rest of the Floridians need-an Ike Turner storm!
Hanna sounds like a nice polite sort of girl, not one to come by here and whup up on us or anything so unseemly.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:08 PM   #130
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Darn, W2R, you scared me with that Ivan--I'm like hey, we've already had that storm. I now see the new one is Ike. Great--that is just what Lazy and the rest of the Floridians need-an Ike Turner storm!
Hanna sounds like a nice polite sort of girl, not one to come by here and whup up on us or anything so unseemly.
Oops!! LOL Sorry 'bout that.

More news about conditions in my community - -

According to WWL radio:

All roads into Jefferson and Orleans Parishes are blocked by State Police, to prevent evacuees from returning prematurely. Blackhawk helicopters are sweeping the area looking for anyone in trouble who needs to be rescued.

Trees, power poles, power lines, transformers, traffic signals, fences, billboards, and signs are down in my town. Streets are blocked with all this mess. So, obviously it would be dangerous for the Parish to allow people to return and try to navigate through everything at night. Also for public health reasons we need electricity to work the pumps at our sewage lift stations before everyone returns.

Few homes were damaged in my community. A few missing shingles from some homes but that's about it.

Our Parish President says Grand Isle got 10 feet of storm surge and Lafitte is sandbagging now to keep out additional surge. These communities are located to the south of my community closer to the Gulf and outside of the levee protection system, and were seriously damaged. My suburb had no reported flooding outside of low lying areas, no tornados, and only two fires. Hurricane protection pumps in my community continued working.

Our Parish President also just announced that in 24 hours he will announce a re-entry schedule. Sounds like we won't be able to return for a while. But since I know my house is fine, I am perfectly happy up here anyway.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-01-2008, 08:13 PM   #131

Good news, W2R, but I am sorry for the folks in Grand Isle and Lafitte. I remember trying to make out the roof of our house from the aerial footage taken by helicopter of our island after Hugo hit Charleston nearly 20 years ago. Once you know your house is okay; you can rest a lot easier.
Now enjoy the unexpected break from the office!

Old 09-01-2008, 08:20 PM   #132

W2R - too lazy to go back a read the thread...where did you go?
Old 09-01-2008, 10:01 PM   #133
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
W2R - too lazy to go back a read the thread...where did you go?
We went to Springfield, Missouri - - our tentative ER location. So, we have been exploring the area to pass the time.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-02-2008, 06:53 AM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
We went to Springfield, Missouri - - our tentative ER location. So, we have been exploring the area to pass the time.
At least you know your home will be there when you get the green light to return. I am so relieved New Orleans was spared. I was terrified of seeing a repeat of the death and destruction of three years ago. Also, I'm afraid if Gustav had been another Katrina, it would have been the end of this unique city.

Enjoy your time exploring Springfield and have a safe trip home.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:04 PM   #135

Im curious. Is everyone ok from that area? Have you returned? Let us know
Old 09-02-2008, 08:44 PM   #136

DH is with the Red Cross in Baton Rouge. He said there are tons of trees and power poles down and it is expected to take a couple of weeks to get power back to everyone. They are getting ready to be deployed to New Orleans. He hasn't mentioned anything about conditions there.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:22 PM   #137
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Im curious. Is everyone ok from that area? Have you returned? Let us know
Yes. No.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-02-2008, 09:25 PM   #138
Give me a forum ...

The mayor asked everyone to stay away for a couple of days while they clean up a bit and change the drapes.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:28 PM   #139
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
DH is with the Red Cross in Baton Rouge. He said there are tons of trees and power poles down and it is expected to take a couple of weeks to get power back to everyone. They are getting ready to be deployed to New Orleans. He hasn't mentioned anything about conditions there.
New Orleans didn't get hit nearly as hard as BR, from what I understand. The Red Cross doesn't like to send volunteers into hazardous situations as they explained to us during the first months immediately after Katrina. Makes sense to me!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-02-2008, 09:46 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Glad to see nasty old Gustav didn't hurt any of my ER friends. I'd offer to help clean up, but I'm retired .

I know NOLA has lots of charm but I'd sure hate to have to deal with a hurricane every few years when I really get old. Missouri sounds much less exciting.