Join Early Retirement Today

Gutter Problem
Old 01-23-2015, 05:45 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Gutter Problem

Today I noticed a slightly darker patch of paint on the wall of the living room. It is right inside the place where this gutter hits the outside wall. Note that the gutter slants down 25 degrees or so--that's not perspective that you are seeing.

The problem, as you may guess, is that when the downspout is clogged the water backs up and overflows against the siding of the house.

You can tell from the discoloration of the stain on the siding.

In addition, the flashing on that portion of the roof ends at the gutter, and the wood is carved out there (red arrow). It seems to have been sealed, but that seal may not be holding.

One solution is to just make sure it doesn't clog. I'd have to clear it out once a week.

A second solution would be to keep it cleared out, but also cut out a hole where the yellow arrow points. In that case, when it's clogged and the water backs up, the water will flow out the hole, and not against the wall.

Third solution: bring the whole thing away from the wall. That won't deal with the flashing problem, however.

Fourth solution: Call a gutter person.

Ideas?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2015, 05:53 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Several years ago I went with the leaf guard gutters and I love them. No clogs and no maintenance.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:00 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Looked some more and discovered that water coming off the roof along the flashing can go down where the green arrow points:

There was sealant there, but it's worn away. Replacing that will help.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:16 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Basically you are missing a piece of flashing called a kickout diverter. This seems to be common mistake, I did a major repair on my porch because of this ( simple $3 piece of flashing missing causing hundreds in damage )

Repair Siding: Use a Kick-Out Flashing to Stop Rot
Old 01-23-2015, 06:26 PM   #5

I have that same problem, but my gutters spill out from the opposite end, so the problem is not severe at the house end of the gutter.

Get a small piece of flashing and trim/fit/ under the shingle and also under that piece of horizontal siding (under the metal edge). Use a type of caulk/cement appropriate for the material.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:40 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
Basically you are missing a piece of flashing called a kickout diverter. This seems to be common mistake, I did a major repair on my porch because of this ( simple $3 piece of flashing missing causing hundreds in damage )

Repair Siding: Use a Kick-Out Flashing to Stop Rot
That looks like the right way to do it.

I'd also consider the the 'leaf guard' type systems to help prevent clogging. I got mine at costco, forget the actual name, but it is an open-cell black foam that fills the gutter. Leaves and junk don't get in, but water flows right through. Been working well for two years now.

-ERD50
Old 01-23-2015, 10:31 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

At the 25-degree slope of the gutter, a torrential rain may cause the water to flow with such speed that it overflows the gutter end cap (where the green arrow points). More flashing may be needed, or baffles installed along the gutter length to slow down the flow. The open-cell foam would also serve that function.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:04 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

+1 on the open cell foam. I put it in last year and it's been working like a champ. We've got a Live Oak that drops a ton of leaves on the roof. They go down to the gutter, stop on top of the foam, then blow off. I wouldn't recommend it if you've got lots of pine needles, but for most any other type leaf they work great.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:23 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Definitely agree on the addition of the kick out flashing.

One thing that I did with my gutters that helped a lot is to install funnel shaped connectors from the trough to the downspout. I also upsized the downspout to the larger, commercial size. It has been several years now and they rarely clog, plus they can handle much more intense rain before they overflow.

Outlet PVC Big Mouth 3x4
Old 01-24-2015, 09:32 AM   #10

When we had a new roof put on last year there was widespread rot and wood damage from flashing and gutters issues. The areas of greatest damage, flashing was poorly installed or missing entirely.

Our roofer also said that kickout flashing was the critical element, the ones he used for us are bigger and longer and should minimize this problem. We also added an additional downspout and increased the size of the gutters and downspout.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
That looks like the right way to do it.

I'd also consider the the 'leaf guard' type systems to help prevent clogging. I got mine at costco, forget the actual name, but it is an open-cell black foam that fills the gutter. Leaves and junk don't get in, but water flows right through. Been working well for two years now.

-ERD50
anyone have a link to the costco product?
Old 01-24-2015, 11:14 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Ah, yes, kickout flashing, bingo. It has a tiny kickout flashing thing, but it wasn't constructed correctly. The piece shown by the arrow pulls right out.

I'll fashion a new one like this (but smaller):

Thanks.

Our clogging is 100% pine needles. I've tried a number of clog-prevention systems, but removed them and went with this tool, which works great:

Amazon.com - Gutter Sense Gutter Cleaning tool - Home And Garden Products
Old 01-24-2015, 12:09 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Our clogging is 100% pine needles. I've tried a number of clog-prevention systems, but removed them and went with this tool, which works great:

Amazon.com - Gutter Sense Gutter Cleaning tool - Home And Garden Products
My main problem is pine needles as well (white pine) and I found that the larger opening into a larger downspout helps quite a bit. In the fall, though, when they do a major dump of needles, I still have to manually remove them.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:00 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I got so many pine needles that they'd clog the downspout where it made the turn at ground level. This catch basin fixed that:

Old 01-25-2015, 01:41 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

OK, got it. I almost chickened out and called a roofing contractor, but I think my solution will work well:

And here are the emergency drain holes:

I'll wait for the caulking to dry, then test it out. I think I can simulate even the hardest downpours with the hose.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:11 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
anyone have a link to the costco product?
Just checked Costco, it says they don't sell it any more. But you can buy it at any of the big box hardware stores now, or off Amazon. I bought mine at Home Depot, and I've seen it at Lowes.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:59 PM   #17

Al, In the pictures, the down spout isn't connected to the gutter. Did you temporarily disconnect?
Old 01-25-2015, 05:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Just checked Costco, it says they don't sell it any more. But you can buy it at any of the big box hardware stores now, or off Amazon. I bought mine at Home Depot, and I've seen it at Lowes.
harley, thanks for checking. we seem to have all kinds of debris from various trees around from small flakes to twigs/branches. Pretty sure the fines would clog the foam as they would the normal screen type stuff. Guess I'll have to keep up the core muscles for the ladder exercise........................
Old 01-25-2015, 06:06 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Al, In the pictures, the down spout isn't connected to the gutter. Did you temporarily disconnect?
It just looks that way. The hole to the downspout is smaller than it should be.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 01-25-2015, 06:51 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
......... The hole to the downspout is smaller than it should be................
And that makes it plug up and overflow more easily.