Habitat for Humanity-- internationally

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
I've never thought about it before, but of course HFH sponsors international trips to build homes & schools.

http://www.habitat.org/cd/gv/schedule.aspx

Here's a sample:
New Mexico -- July 31-Aug 13, 2006. Join the second annual women’s build to Taos, New Mexico for awesome scenery and cultural opportunities.

Mongolia -- August 26 – September 9, 2006. Travel with us on this amazing adventure to Mongolia!

Tajikistan -- Sept. 2-16, 2006. Are you searching for an interesting and rewarding adventure? Come build houses and hope in Tajikistan.

Guyana – Sept. 14 - Oct. 1, 2006. Participate in the first Global Village Women Build project in Guyana!

New Zealand -- Nov 4-18, 2006. Come along on a once-in-a-lifetime adventure to the spectacular South Island of New Zealand!

And, of course, they're coming to Hawaii in November...

Our local chapter near Bellingham, WA, for many years went down to Costa Rica in Jan or Feb to build houses there. That local director has since retired, but maybe they still do it.

Ed_The_Gypsy said:
Costa Rica in Jan or Feb
I must admit that the thought of surfing crossed my mind.

$1200-$1800, and surely there'd be a nearby beach with a free hour or two of sunlight each day...

Nords said:
New Mexico -- July 31-Aug 13, 2006.
I read about an airline rep who wouldn't allow someone to cash in their FF miles for a domestic trip to New Mexico since it's a foreign country :LOL:

Nords said:
Guyana – Sept. 14 - Oct. 1, 2006.
Don't drink the Kool-Aid :'(

astromeria said:
I read about an airline rep who wouldn't allow someone to cash in their FF miles for a domestic trip to New Mexico since it's a foreign country  :LOL:

I have heard at least 3 widely different versions of this story over the last 20ish years  ;)

My husband and I gave a lift to one of his colleagues in Silicon Valley, an excellent graphic artist/UI designer. While chatting about travel, I mentioned that I liked Wyoming. He asked if it was in new England :eek: Unlike me, he apparently never zoned out in US history class staring at the map.

REWahoo! said:
New Mexico and Hawaii are "international"?  Do you need a passport for the trip?
Don't get me started. Today I agreed to pay $18 for shipping a six-ounce package of anti-bird stickers because "regular U.S. postal service is not available to Hawaii".

$#%^amn zebra doves better not fly into any windows after these stickers go up.

califdreamer said:
Unlike Texas, New Mexico and Hawaii are indeed part of the United States ;)

Yep...

img_413657_0_32e8b2955c6a592b31eda18aaccbeb49.gif

Yep

Back in our RV days the SO fell in love with the Texas anti litter signs and bumper stickers:

Don't mess with Texas.

heh heh heh heh heh - people in New Orleans used to think those - not from NO( ala Lyle Lovett) acted funny and didn't talk rite.

Back
Top Bottom