Join Early Retirement Today

Had a new roof installed last week ......
Old 08-23-2019, 10:39 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Had a new roof installed last week ......

Got 5 quotes. One company, well established, been around for 35 years, sent a drone over my house to measure. The rest of the companies did it the old fashioned way....you know, guy on the roof taking measurements.

The drone company came in with the lowest bid by nearly 4K! All the others said the drone drastically under measured and not to use them. I went with the drone company. Lifetime 30 year guarantee. They were amazing and professional. And.............when they finished, they even had one box of shingles left over to give me! Under measured? Nope. Hum, have we been overpaying in the past and then they keep 3 or 4 cases for the next job?

The drone company told me their drone measurements have been amazingly accurate vs. manually done with mistakes and helped them lower costs to consumers.

Retired January 2019, age 63
35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Floridatennisplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2019, 10:51 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Perhaps the use of the drone technology is a sign that the company is forward-thinking in their use of technology in other aspects of their business operations (scheduling, procurement, payroll) allowing them to operate much more efficiently than their competitors.
Omalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 11:10 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I got three estimates to replace our roof a few years ago, two were done the old fashioned way by walking the roof. The third was estimated using satellite photos - no one physically came to look at the house. All three estimated the number of shingles needed within one square of each other.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:13 AM   #4
gone traveling

After storm damage most insurance adjusters use drones to measure the roof and assess damage.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 11:42 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We had a new roof installed last month. We got 2 quotes. Lowe's used a 3rd party company that didn't send anyone out to look at the roof. Their quote was about $1K less than the quote from a roofer, who actually went up on the roof, looked at an issue that we knew we had because of faulty construction, and quoted a price that included fixing that issue. (Lowe's quote also supposedly included a discount on shingles with an expiration date.) We felt it was better to pay a bit more for the assurance that the issue would be fixed at the agreed-on price.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:01 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good luck on estimating my roof. I must have 12 planes up there--mostly triangles on a very steep angle. I want one roofing company that removes the roof one day and fully installs the roof the next day.

It's a shame that black streaks are on so many roofs before their lifespan is actually up.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:06 PM   #7

There's more to roofs than just eyeballing shingles. I would submit a quick walk along the surface could discover some things just looking at it cant. Unless the drones have some sort of infrared "3rd eye" capability that can see structural deficiencies.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:32 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

They also had a guy walk the entire roof solely to inspect for issues. But he did no measurements.

35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Old 08-23-2019, 03:39 PM   #9

How were the estimates in terms of sq footage?

I suspect that most estimates should be close in terms of measurements. The labor cost may be where the real difference is.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:23 PM   #10

In the final stages of the new roof journey that began back in January. All satellite software estimates.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post

It's a shame that black streaks are on so many roofs before their lifespan is actually up.
You need more hailstorms.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:33 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I notice those on our 20 YO roof (been there for a few years). Roof is in pretty good shape, but will be due in a few years.

If I were to put the place up for sale, I'd look into a cleaning service. It seems minor, but I really do think it (maybe sub-consciously) affects 'curb appeal', and that first impression. Just looks kinda dingy.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:42 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, I just called a driveway blacktop sealer this afternoon to come out and give me a quote. He said, I’ll have your quote here in about 30 seconds. What? Don’t you need to come out? No here is your quote, I just did it by satellite. Yikes!!!!

35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Old 08-23-2019, 08:48 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridatennisplayer View Post
Well, I just called a driveway blacktop sealer this afternoon to come out and give me a quote. He said, I’ll have your quote here in about 30 seconds. What? Don’t you need to come out? No here is your quote, I just did it by satellite. Yikes!!!!
Why "yikes"? That happened on my last call. Their sq foot estimate was as close as the guy who came out a few years earlier to give me a quote for a tear-out/replace using the tape-wheel and walking it out.

Even if they were 10% off, I doubt their variable costs matter much after the required markup. Two guys come out for a few hours, us X amount of raw material +/- a few %, there's your cost.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 05:47 AM   #15

I got tired of replacing my roof every 10-12 years here in Florida. With the harsh sun damage, northeasterns, hurricanes, etc. they don't last long. Even the shingles that had a 35yr warranty. Even if they are a major brand and go bad early like mine they are prorated for the cost of the shingles only which becomes an insignificant cost after 10 years. Finally got smart and bit the bullet for a quality metal standing seam roof.
Now there are no leaks, wind resistant more than any fiberglass shingle, helps reduce heating and cooling costs, and will last beyond my lifetime. I will never have to worry about replacing my roof again. Even though it costs more than fiberglass shingles I will come out ahead since I won't have to pay for another roof replacement.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 05:52 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.... It's a shame that black streaks are on so many roofs before their lifespan is actually up.
Dark brown roof here so even if we did have black streaks they wouldn't be so noticeable.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 08:05 AM   #17

Had three estimates this spring. Everyone had a guy on the roof with a tape.
Was talking to the guy I chose and learned he and his crew subcontracted for one of the higher bid ders. Could if had the same crew for more money if I went with th e more expensive bid.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:16 PM   #18

For a thread about quotes and estimates, I don't see a single one in this thread.

My roof is about 2300 sq. ft. and a shallow pitch, and I figure it will be over $12,000 for architectural shingles. There's one warped area at the overhang. Another concern is that the tacked-on overhangs on the sides of the house are sagging a few inches, causing the gutters to overflow, so I have to get that fixed first.
GenXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 03:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXguy View Post
For a thread about quotes and estimates, I don't see a single one in this thread.
That's because the thread is about how the measurements were done, not what the dollar amounts were.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Good luck on estimating my roof. I must have 12 planes up there--mostly triangles on a very steep angle. I want one roofing company that removes the roof one day and fully installs the roof the next day.
I modeled my house using Sketchup, so I can select all of the roof planes, then it spits out the square footage. The measuring for the model was done while on the ground, plus I got the angles by going to the attic.

We had a hail damage roof replacement and they did it all in ONE day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roofdrawing.jpg (54.5 KB, 38 views)
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote