Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-09-2010, 05:19 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Um...I was 9 years old.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2010, 05:23 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Or you didn't practice hard enough to do it right!

People between the ages of 16-20+ in 1967 would be at least 58 years old by now...

Funny how no one asks for sentimental memories of "The Summer of Disco". I wonder how that documentary would sell.
Didn't they already do one of these? It starred John Travolta IIRC.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #23

I lived in Washington, DC, during the '60's where they had what they called "Be Ins."
They just had speakers and lots of people/hippie types sitting around on a lawn protesting quietly. I didn't participate, because it, frankly, looked boring and uncomfortable sitting on the grass. I didn't get what sitting would do?
Do remember protests with Stokely Carmichael and the Black Coalition marching down the street past my work one day. That was more exciting to me.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:17 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I stopped by the Haight in August of 67 driving across the country with a bunch of guys from Chicago. But at the time we were all pretty straight so we didn't take advantage of most of what was "offered." I was back out for a few days in 69 and stayed in an apartment on Haight St (friend of a friend) but by then it was definitely not a summer of love. That time the friends I was traveling with drove back cross country to Woodstock but I ended up stopping in Chicago to go to work at the Illinois State Psych Institute as part of my college work. I always seemed to just miss out on everything

Edit: I was present for the 68 convention. Got back home from NY just in time to make that event.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:23 PM   #25
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I always seemed to just miss out on everything
I returned from Nam in September '69. Be grateful that you missed out on some things ...
Old 02-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Psst - titanium. Secret clearance. Beat those Ruskies.

Not as buttoned down as Bob Newhart - but close.

heh heh heh -
Old 02-10-2010, 03:49 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

On the way to Vietnam in June 1968 I had a 1 week layover in San Francisco. One of the places that I visited was Haigt-Ashbury, as well as Carol Doda's topless bar. I remember the bar more than the Haight, but it was cool to be there at that time in history.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:08 PM   #28

I never made it to HA that summer, nor did I do protests, sit-ins etc, but I learned to love the sex, drugs and rock-n-roll. Can we bring it all back?
Old 02-10-2010, 04:39 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post

Edit: I was present for the 68 convention. Got back home from NY just in time to make that event.
I wasn't there but remember that one; knew young people who were there--second hand news. My parents lived on the Illinois/Wisconsin line. I remember calling them from Madison and they didn't know anything about it; I suspect there was a news blackout from Chicago stations, did you get that impression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
I returned from Nam in September '69. Be grateful that you missed out on some things ...
Yeah, my childhood friend's ex-husband was killed there in Dec. '68.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:03 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Got that right. It wasn't all love and flowers. Those were some difficult times for sure. Thanks for serving in Nam rescueme.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:12 PM   #31

Quote:
I returned from Nam in September '69. ...
Welcome home!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:49 AM   #32

I was three then, however, I worked in Berkeley in the 90's early 2000's with many who had participated. Let's just say their judgment at times left a lot to be desired even 20-30 years later. Some of the stories I heard curled my hair, but then I grew up in a conservative household (active military) and am a Reservist now. The juxtaposition of what was/is OK in Berkeley versus the military....oooooweeeee.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:03 AM   #33

Any one of you that served in Nam has my admiration and respect.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:06 AM   #34

That doesnīt mean that I donīt respect those who didnīt go there. Their reasons for not going were pretty sound. Itīs just that the fighting over there must have been pure terror.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:52 AM   #35

I'm still totally appalled that anyone would spit at any of our military who have fought for our freedom..but they did...sadly. People make sacrifices for us and we spit at them? Such out-of-line behavior, and I hope these folks have matured and seen how wrong they were to do that. It's even embarrassing to know they belonged to my generation.

Vietnam turned out to be such a shameful error, and I read that President Lyndon Johnson was so upset he made the decision for us to go into Nam that that was the cause of his heavy drinking before he died. The burden of a bad decision was just too much.
Wonder if Bush will have any regrets and act out?
Old 02-11-2010, 07:32 AM   #36
gone traveling

Thanks for all your positive comments. Forty years later, I finally received a "welcome home" ...
Old 02-11-2010, 08:33 AM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
I never made it to HA that summer, nor did I do protests, sit-ins etc, but I learned to love the sex, drugs and rock-n-roll. Can we bring it all back?
It would kill us now. We would have to be 40 years younger.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:00 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Far out
I lived in Sacramento in the late 60's, and we used to go to SF to the Winterland auditorium. I saw "It's a Beautiful Day", Janice Joplin etc. The only thing I can say is that it was fun! interesting! Cosmic! And, I remember and relish most of it. There was an aura of innocence and beauty if you were part of the counter-culture. I am glad that I got to experience those years.

On the other hand, if you were "straight," you were in another world, almost a parallel universe. Typically the straights shunned the hippies.

I was caught in the middle. The counter-culture was a luxury I couldn't immerse myself in completely, but I would dip my toes in during weekends. Actually, I lived for those weekends! I was working myself through college, which turned out to keep me from going overboard - and I did see those who ended up with bad trips, in mental hospitals (they were still in existence then), or dead.

In hindsight, I think life is all about balance. The whole flower child scenario has turned out class A gardeners all over the world. The straight lifestyle has helped us all to stay on course in retirement savings. And, many of us ended up in recovery.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:04 PM   #39

I was in Haight-Ashbury in 1968, it was already getting dangerous then. One friend I was there with was robbed at gunpoint about a half block off Haight.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:07 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I was in the army 66 miles away from "Woodstock" at the time. Missed out. We had guys go an return several days late (AWOL), saying Wow!. No regrets. Saw Jefferson Airplane in Greenwich Village and Jerry Jeff Walker in Connecticut, among others. What did I do? Ain't sayin'.

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote