Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-13-2010, 10:20 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was in the Haight from about 63-68. Lived on Waller Street at one time. Also lived on Cole Street (1/2 off of Haight). At first, the Haight was really a fun place, lots of everything either exciting and/or sort of illegal. The Haight was actually safe in the first part of the 60's. People were polite, gentle, kind and generous. And, perhaps a bit spacey. But, the bikers, the bad guys, the crazies and the really nasty people began to move in and take advantage of the true hippies. The hippies really did wear flowers in their hair and went to the Family Dog dances (Janis Joplin, Jefferson Airplane, Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks). Wonderful posters for the dances. Really works of art. Wish I still had mine. Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if the Haight returned to it's former days in the sun. The Haight was the right place at the right time in the early part of the '60's. (But that's just my opinion). Well, maybe all the dropping of acid wasn't such a good idea...but other than that...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2010, 08:13 AM   #42

Got my Draft notice in early 67, actually volunteered a month before my draft date. Spent a summer pleasant in Ft. Jackson SC, & Ft Gordon GA. Missed all that group grope stuff.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:32 PM   #43
Dryer sheet wannabe

I was in high school in the 10th grade in Castro Valley, Ca, across the bay from San Francisco. Made it to the Haight for a day with a friend to hang out but wasn't into "the scene" there. Great music and posters came out of that era and we did finally get out of Nam, though not for another six years or so.

Is99, like you, I went Fort Jackson, South Carolina (boot camp) and Fort Gordon, Georgia (microwave radio operator). I had received my draft notice in '72. My draft number was 56 and they drafted up to number 98 or 99 that year so I probably would have spent time in Nam. Joined the National Guard so it could have been worse..
Old 02-16-2010, 07:04 AM   #44

I totally missed it all. In 1967-68 I was in high school, had a part time job in a gas station (back when pump jockeys pumped the gas and cleaned the windshield) a Yamaha Twin Jet 100 motorcycle, a stunningly beautiful girlfriend who I was madly in love with even though her parents (wisely) forbade her getting on the bike, and for the most part trying to figure out what would happen when I grew up.

And I thought hippies were creepy, weird, strange folk with absolutely no sense at all.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:26 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oh! Now I remember:

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:02 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I'm still totally appalled that anyone would spit at any of our military who have fought for our freedom..but they did...sadly. People make sacrifices for us and we spit at them?
Many of those stories likely are urban legend. Reinforcing his myth hypothesis, Lembcke cites a Harris poll reported to Congress in 1972 that indicates 93% of returning veterans found their homecoming friendly, while only 3% found it unfriendly. The poll also reported that over 75% of returning vets were opposed to the war. Vietnam Veterans Against the War: THE VETERAN: Debunking A Myth

As a teenager I protested the war and everyone I knew had nothing but respect for the soldiers. Some were former military. Some were trying to avoid being soldiers. Some had brothers that had been drafted.

I was too young for the summer of love. Did my summer of love about 5 years later.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:16 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Many of those stories likely are urban legend. Reinforcing his myth hypothesis, Lembcke cites a Harris poll reported to Congress in 1972 that indicates 93% of returning veterans found their homecoming friendly, while only 3% found it unfriendly. The poll also reported that over 75% of returning vets were opposed to the war. Vietnam Veterans Against the War: THE VETERAN: Debunking A Myth
Speaking from personal experience, I found the atmosphere towards the military in the Vietnam era was directly correlated to geography. I was never uncomfortable wearing my uniform in public when in Florida, Kansas or Texas, but California was an entirely different story. Only there did I hear shouts of "Baby Killer!" and "Murderer!".

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:54 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Speaking from personal experience, I found the atmosphere towards the military in the Vietnam era was directly correlated to geography. I was never uncomfortable wearing my uniform in public when in Florida, Kansas or Texas, but California was an entirely different story. Only there did I hear shouts of "Baby Killer!" and "Murderer!".
Makes sense. IIRC San Francisco got rather hot so I can imagine people going over the line. My experience was Minnesota and one trip to Chicago, where I didn't witness any of that kind of hostility. Soldiers weren't "the man." So I am sure it depends on where you were and who was there.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:21 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

One of my best friends was in the National Guard, said he was terrified to be sent to a college campus because he felt he was not properly trained for it. He was a genuine pacifist but he and his two brothers served anyway. I worked in a symbolic campus building that was the site of many protests. During a protest, the building’s doors were guarded by a local cop and a Guardsman and I would talk my way back into the building after lunch until one day they let me in and it was filled with tear gas. How young and stupid is that, to walk up to armed troops and demand admittance? Wouldn’t do that now! I still remember the way the tear gas, pepper gas and nausea gas permeated the wood. Years later I went back to smell it but was disappointed by the academic sweet smell of pipe smoke.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:26 AM   #50

I was state side in the military in 1968. The guys from CA would bring back some "home made" pills when they went on leave with very interesting names associated with them. One night several of my friends indulged in an 4 way tab. That night I met god and told him I was very glad to meet him. Just then one friend tapped me on the shoulder and said, "man you are really tripping man...your talking like god and stuff to a poster of Frank Zappa".
Old 02-16-2010, 11:58 AM   #51
gone traveling

Quote:
...93% of returning veterans found their homecoming friendly, while only 3% found it unfriendly.
While it is true that I was not "spat upon" my return, I did face prejudice for the uniform I wore - not the color of my skin, during those days.

I still remember my return in early September, 1969 when leaving Travis AFB, there were a handful of protesters at the gate, with signs hung on the security fence. Since it was just a second or two till the taxi went through the gate, the incident was not considered (at least to me) to be of importance.

What did "stir my soul" over the next several weeks were the looks I received while in uniform, while out in public - not near a military base.

In the airport, eyes averted yours. There were no smiles, no handshakes, and certainly no "welcome home" comments by strangers.

These are things that were done during WWII, when both my father and my future FIL served.

There were neither parades nor acknowledgement of what we were, regardless of your opinion for/against the conflict.

Even at my wedding (held three weeks after my return), there were a lot of folks (friends/relatives) that did not know how, or even if they should talk to me.

Before I went over, I was much like of Ron Kovic, as portrayed by Tom Cruise (no - you won't ever mistake me with Tom). However, as shown in the early part of the film, the personal honor, and duty of Ron (as related to his sense of pride in his country) was the same as I felt before I left.

However, once I was in-country and witnessed the FUBAR of the situation of basically being an outsider participating in what was a civil war, I just counted the days (and the hours) till I would get back to the world.

At least today, the folks that go in harm's way are acknowledged for their personal sacrifice, not the politics involved in the conflict.

That's progress.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
your talking like god and stuff to a poster of Frank Zappa
I thought Eric Clapton was God?
Old 02-16-2010, 04:15 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
In the airport, eyes averted yours. There were no smiles, no handshakes, and certainly no "welcome home" comments by strangers.

At least today, the folks that go in harm's way are acknowledged for their personal sacrifice, not the politics involved in the conflict.

I'm not usually emotional, but your story (multiplied by thousands - and several that I know personally) has me sitting here with tears in my eyes. I was blessed with a high enough draft number but was otherwise 1-A at the time. I even took my draft physical. Only by the grace of God did I not have to endure what you endured (before, during and after). May God, time and perhaps your fellow forum members help to heal your scars and the scars of the many who had to endure this tragic event - and I include the people of Viet Nam. God bless all of you.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:33 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
... a Yamaha Twin Jet 100 motorcycle, a stunningly beautiful girlfriend who I was madly in love with even though her parents (wisely) forbade her getting on the bike, and for the most part trying to figure out what would happen when I grew up.
Don't leave us hangin', man, the suspense is killing! I have to ask: what happened to the bike?

Quote:
The poll also reported that over 75% of returning vets were opposed to the war.
There's a difference between opposing war on philosophical grounds and opposing it on grounds for incompetence.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:18 AM   #55
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

As a teenager I protested the war and everyone I knew had nothing but respect for the soldiers. Some were former military. Some were trying to avoid being soldiers. Some had brothers that had been drafted.

I was too young for the summer of love. Did my summer of love about 5 years later.
I was in the 3%. When I was in uniform on leave in Portland, Oregon, I got flack from a couple of adults. I expected it.

After I mustered out, working as a painter, a Portland cop stopped me because I had short hair (!). I went back to college at the University of Washington. There were enough vets there to go drinking with.

The hostility was there, trust me. We took off our uniforms as soon as we could.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:34 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Don't leave us hangin', man, the suspense is killing! I have to ask: what happened to the bike?
After riding it through a winter I sold it to buy a car that had a heater in it for the following winter. I was NOT going to do that again! I'm still not "quite right in the head" about cold weather, I think in part because of that experience. But I'm one of those people who doesn't come out of long sleeves until the temperatures are 80 F or better.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:24 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

DH's return home from active duty (stateside, thank God) in the early 70s was pretty much invisible--go home, change uniform, done. No hostility but no thanks either.

Maybe 75% of returning vets were opposed to the war back in the day because many of those vets were drafted (like DH--not that he was necessarily opposed). Many of the people today who have been in the armed forces (including the reserves and National Guards) for a while didn't really sign up for combat, but at least they chose to sign up. They all deserve a parade.