Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Haight-Ashbury: Summer of Love
Old 02-09-2010, 12:14 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Haight-Ashbury: Summer of Love

Just watched an interesting documentary on the above. Got me wondering did any board members remember these times or participate in the Summer of Love? Looks like an interesting time, some of the concepts were good, however it looked like some people embraced it more for the freebies than what it stood for.

So share your Summer of Love stories if you have one.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I wasn't even 2. But I was less than an hour's drive away from the Haight...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:25 PM   #3

Was it the summer of 1968? Was it the year Sergeant Pepper´s Heart Club Band was released? What an album! My sophomore year at Law school....
Old 02-09-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Was it the summer of 1968?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Well, then I have nothing much to say.
It took some time/years in Spain before we started hearing about The Summer Of Love.... In fact most of my countrymen don´t know what that means, even now.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:28 PM   #6

I was 3, and my mommy loved me very much.

I did spend most of the 70s listening to Beatles records (frontwards and backwards) and wishing I'd been born 15 yrs earlier.
Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Just watched an interesting documentary on the above. Got me wondering did any board members remember these times or participate in the Summer of Love? Looks like an interesting time, some of the concepts were good, however it looked like some people embraced it more for the freebies than what it stood for.

So share your Summer of Love stories if you have one.
Rule of thumb: If you remember the Summer of Love you didn't participate in it.
Keim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:34 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I spent a month with my college friend in the Haight in December '67. He was a resident at SF General. It looked awful to me, a lot of very bedraggled and glassy eyed little girls, a lot of predatory older guys, and a lot of very naive idiots. And then there was the "acid look". Yuck!
Old 02-09-2010, 01:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
It looked awful to me, a lot of very bedraggled and glassy eyed little girls, a lot of predatory older guys, and a lot of very naive idiots.
Some people will just never understand Cosmic Consciousness.
Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:47 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I spent a month with my college friend in the Haight in December '67. He was a resident at SF General. It looked awful to me, a lot of very bedraggled and glassy eyed little girls, a lot of predatory older guys, and a lot of very naive idiots. And then there was the "acid look". Yuck!
I lived in Madison, Wisconsin at the time. My roommate's brother returned from that summer with horrible LSD flashbacks. We were fascinated to listen to his stories. He essentially blow his mind and could only get a job in a metal working factory, very dangerous work. He was killed on the job at age 33.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:52 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

You can watch a lot of the individual parts of the Monterey Pop film on YouTube (this post prodded me to watch my Janis--heartstoppingly beautiful to me). That to me is like a documentary.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #12
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Correct - I did not participate (I received my draft notice in January of that year)...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:22 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I was just 6. My main memories of the time were the evening news footage from Vietnam and the Watts riots in nearby LA. My mom was a social worker and my dad an engineer, they differed a lot in their politics so I got to hear both sides of most issues.
I was a little frightened by it all--it seemed like the country was having a big fight and that things were unstable. A little kid doesn't have much sense of perspective. OTOH, a lot of adults thought things were falling apart, too.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:26 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Or you didn't practice hard enough to do it right!

People between the ages of 16-20+ in 1967 would be at least 58 years old by now...

Funny how no one asks for sentimental memories of "The Summer of Disco". I wonder how that documentary would sell.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:28 PM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
16 and in a small town, I didn't even hear about it 'til I got to college in fall of '68.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Is this the one you mean, DangerMouse?

American Experience | Summer of Love | PBS
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:34 PM   #17

Hey CJ, that's the one. I found it interesting because I had heard so much about it as an adult, but being Australian and only 5 years old at the time, it wasn't anything we really heard about at the time.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:34 PM   #18
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I was a little frightened by it all--it seemed like the country was having a big fight and that things were unstable. A little kid doesn't have much sense of perspective.
You indeed understood the period, regardless of your young age at the time ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:07 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Oh, come on. Everyone knows that all of us were there... and at Woodstock, too.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:11 PM   #20

I was 14 in 1968 and kept under tight constraints by my conservative older parents(Mom was 40 and Dad was 50 when I was born). I was always kinda preppy to tell the truth, never a flower child.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote