Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-29-2015, 10:02 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
WOW.... just looked at my house policy and I have almost $6K deductible on hail/tornado coverage.... so now it looks like a 10 minute storm will cost me $8K total...

Had someone look at the roof and he said it should be replaced... now have to get with insurance...

Also, DW was in a car accident yesterday .... So, another insurance claim that I now have to deal with... (their fault, so another ins company also)....
Last year my agent specifically pointed out a hard to find clause in our updated policy.

Roof damage was your deductible + 5% of your homes value. I thanked her and asked about other providers.

🐑
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2015, 11:29 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Last year my agent specifically pointed out a hard to find clause in our updated policy.

Roof damage was your deductible + 5% of your homes value. I thanked her and asked about other providers.

🐑

Since there is a line specifically for hail/wind damage I do not expect to get this surprise... but did notice that my tornado is 5% of value instead of 2% like the hail...

Now I see why they like to have the 'value' of your home so much higher than it really is... more premium to them and higher deductible!!!
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:17 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Since there is a line specifically for hail/wind damage I do not expect to get this surprise... but did notice that my tornado is 5% of value instead of 2% like the hail...

Now I see why they like to have the 'value' of your home so much higher than it really is... more premium to them and higher deductible!!!
I don't think you'll have an issue. I just hate for folks to get surprised you did, and I would have on my policy, like that. I'm all in favor of businesses making profits, just do in a fair way.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:58 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For my policy the deductable is 1% of value for anything. It used to be 1% for wind and hail, and less for other perils, but they raised it to 1% for everything. The higher roof deductables argue even more strongly for class 4 hail resistant roofs. If you are willing to endure cosmetic damage it means it really takes a lot to do damage. (plus at least standing seam metal roofs are more wind resistant, since its one sheet from peak to eaves) It appears that a metal roof also reduces heat load in the summer.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:16 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
For my policy the deductable is 1% of value for anything. It used to be 1% for wind and hail, and less for other perils, but they raised it to 1% for everything. The higher roof deductables argue even more strongly for class 4 hail resistant roofs. If you are willing to endure cosmetic damage it means it really takes a lot to do damage. (plus at least standing seam metal roofs are more wind resistant, since its one sheet from peak to eaves) It appears that a metal roof also reduces heat load in the summer.

Yea, I was not paying attention.... have $1K deductable for most items... but saw that hail/wind is 2% and hurricane is 5%.... and my premium went up almost 88% from last year with no claims... I would hate to see what it would be if I had the low deductable I used to have....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote