Join Early Retirement Today

Hair styling device.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:44 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hair styling device.

My wife's birthday is coming up in late September, and I saw that Amazon had one of their special sales today on a sort of combination dryer-brush-styler thingumbob, so on an impulse I ordered one. It's this: Amazon.com: Infinitipro Spin Air Rotating Styler, Black: Beauty. The thing is, if anyone uses it on my wife's hair, it's going to be me, not her, since I'm the one who trims her hair. My knowledge of hair styling is at a very primitive level, so I thought perhaps you all might have some helpful hints about how to use the thing when it gets here. I gather from the Amazon user reviews that the device works best on fine, medium-length hair, which is what my wife has, so it might work out well.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2011, 09:12 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I can't help. I use a Flowbee

Flowbee factory direct Also Flowbee deluxe with vacuum

Old 09-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have thick, coarse, naturally curly hair, which I discipline (I wouldn't say straighten) with a round brush and a blow dryer. Your device looks like somebody took a round brush and put a blow dryer inside it.

What I'm about to describe is what I do with my hair, but I don't see why it couldn't be adapted to your wife's hair texture. A hairdresser once told me that the secret of pumping up finer hair is "getting air into the hair," and that blow dryers are a great aid to this.

You may be able to use the device to give your wife's fine hair more volume by lifting/sectioning/pinning the upper hair layers to the top of her head (using hairdresser's butterfly clips - please don't actually pin it to her scalp) , then sectioning the bottom layers and drying each section separately by rolling it up on the brush and then carefully unrolling it. (Hair dried this way tends to be nice and bouncy). Then dry each top section the same way. Then carefully comb the whole head of hair back and up a little, to add height and volume. (At this point your wife is probably grabbing the comb out of your hand, wanting to do the rest herself!)

Good luck, it's nice that you care so much about your wife's hair.

Amethyst
Old 09-17-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I got a round hairbrush caught in my hair so badly once that I had to cut it out.
That spin option sounds like it could be wicked. Use with caution.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
My wife's birthday is coming up in late September, and I saw that Amazon had one of their special sales today on a sort of combination dryer-brush-styler thingumbob, so on an impulse I ordered one. It's this: Amazon.com: Infinitipro Spin Air Rotating Styler, Black: Beauty. The thing is, if anyone uses it on my wife's hair, it's going to be me, not her, since I'm the one who trims her hair. My knowledge of hair styling is at a very primitive level, so I thought perhaps you all might have some helpful hints about how to use the thing when it gets here. I gather from the Amazon user reviews that the device works best on fine, medium-length hair, which is what my wife has, so it might work out well.
(emphasis mine) I think that you will have fun trying this gadget. However, since she will not be the one to use it I think that you should buy her something else in addition to this for her birthday. Maybe flowers or a romantic dinner out?

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
You may be able to use the device to give your wife's fine hair more volume by lifting/sectioning/pinning the upper hair layers to the top of her head (using hairdresser's butterfly clips - please don't actually pin it to her scalp) , then sectioning the bottom layers and drying each section separately by rolling it up on the brush and then carefully unrolling it. (Hair dried this way tends to be nice and bouncy).
I'll try that. The device is supposed to be good at adding volume.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Maybe flowers or a romantic dinner out?
I do have a history of getting her gadgets that are more fun for me than for her. I did also get her a mystery novel by one of her favorite authors.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:46 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
I do have a history of getting her gadgets that are more fun for me than for her. I did also get her a mystery novel by one of her favorite authors.
Oh good! I think you did well, then.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote