Join Early Retirement Today

Haitian donations
Old 01-14-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Haitian donations

Does anyone know the best way to donate to help the people in Haiti.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2010, 11:35 AM   #2

Usually Red Cross is a good organisation to start with.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:37 AM   #3

I'd venture to say the Red Cross....at least I know that they are there doing something! There are (and will be) so many 'organizations' scamming money from folks for 'relief efforts in Haiti', that I'd be pretty darn leery of giving to others (unless I could verify that they are, indeed, legitimate organizations. That just my view, for what it's worth.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:43 AM   #4

Yeah, I thought of Red Cross but I remember reading an article about the bonuses the big wigs get. I'd like my donation to go to the people of Haiti, not some fat cat.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'll throw out one we have donated to in the past when these unfortunate natural disasters stirke. Americares.

Also, check out charitynavigator.org for some other suggestions and to verify how your favored charity ranks in terms of efficiency. Red Cross is a constant favorite, but spends about 10% of their collections on overhead and administrative expenses.

From charitynavigator's "featured" charities for Haiti relief (not all the highest rated):
Old 01-14-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Salvation Army

Salvation Army, they have been in Haiti for many years. Their staff pay is modest, top notch emergancy aid skills and their history of helping others long. International Salvation Army: Home
Old 01-14-2010, 02:57 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Direct Relief International: Emergency Response - Haiti Earthquake

Doctors Without Borders | MSF USA

American Red Cross Disaster Newsroom
Mobile donors can text “Haiti” to 90999 to send a $10 donation to the Red Cross. 100% of the donations will support relief efforts in Haiti.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:26 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife had me donate to UMCOR today. According to my wife, 100% of the funds go to supporting the relief effort.

UMCOR - United Methodist Committee on Relief (Haitian Emergency)
Old 01-14-2010, 05:35 PM   #9

X2 On Doctors Without Borders, sent them some $$, we work with and support Habitat For Humanity and Heifer Project but feel that DWB are great first responders. After the initial medical help Haiti will need everything else too, so don't let up. We worked in the Gulf Coast with HFH a year after Katrina and they were still hurting, and that is the US.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapper View Post
My wife had me donate to UMCOR today. According to my wife, 100% of the funds go to supporting the relief effort.

UMCOR - United Methodist Committee on Relief (Haitian Emergency)
Thanks everyone, I like UMCOR with 100% going to how needs it. Also the Red Cross has a text from the cell phone set up. You just put in Haiti and then a code, I think it's 90999. My DW did it and I forgot the code but I'm sure it's all over the internet. It's only 5 or 10 bucks depending on the code but it's something.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:36 PM   #11

Definitely donate to well known, established disaster relief groups. One great one is Oxfam America On the Ground in Haiti: Oxfam’s Humanitarian Coordinator Describes the Scene — Oxfam America

Also, DWB's 3 sites in Haiti were affected by the quakes so know they will need the support to get them back up...

I'd think it's a huge job to run a giant organization like Red Cross and they should be paid well...but hey, I'm biased...
Old 01-15-2010, 07:23 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Heard this morning on the news that Red Cross will be bringing 45000 refugees from Haiti to Florida.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:35 AM   #13

Never heard of UMCOR before, but Charity Navigator gives them good marks. They do have some operating expenses, so it's not 100% of donations that go to their programs, but it is in the high 90's - which is very good compared to a lot of other charities. CN shows charities with similar ratings for efficiency, and which are working to provide relief in Haiti are:

ADRA:

Doctors Without Borders | MSF USA

Episcopal Relief & Development - Home
Old 01-15-2010, 09:12 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Never heard of UMCOR before, but Charity Navigator gives them good marks. They do have some operating expenses, so it's not 100% of donations that go to their programs, but it is in the high 90's - which is very good compared to a lot of other charities.
I checked UMCOR's web site again and it notes that for "The Advance (which) is an official United Methodist program that gives you the opportunity to give to the ministry of your choice" guarantees that "100% of your gift will go to the ministry you choose. No exceptions."

The Haitian Emergency Effort falls under The Advance program.

My wife told me that the UMCOR operating expenses are supported through apportionments paid by local UM churches.

I'm not Methodist so I'm indifferent as to how the funds make it to those in need as long as expenses for the organization are low. In the past I tended to use the Red Cross for these types of emergencies.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:38 PM   #15

I contributed thru the cell phone program by texting Haiti to 90999, so $10 will go to the Red Cross' dedicated efforts in Haiti. So far, this effort has raised more than $5 million.

The other organizations noted by previous posters are all legit and all do good work.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:51 PM   #16

I noted when I was at the supermarket yesterday that they were taking donations for Haiti I think on behalf of the Red Cross. Supermarket involved is Luckys.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I chose Salvation army
Old 01-15-2010, 02:36 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Salvation Army for me also.

Heads up for the many, many scamers and spammers that are lurking.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:12 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I went with World Vision. They have worked in Haiti for over 30 years, have relatively low administrative costs, and they will tell you what your donation can buy. e.g. $550 will buy 10 emergency kits for 10 families.

The Canadian government is matching individual donations up to $50m.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:24 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Not a big deal according to the article, but the implication that texting a code will speed a donation is a bit misleading:

Quote:
Texting a donation to Haiti relief efforts feels like an immediate way to help, but it could take up to three months for your $10 to land in American Red Cross coffers.
Haiti text message donations may take 90 days to process - Jan. 15, 2010

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote