Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-01-2014, 12:09 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

But I am truly concerned that IL will not be a good place for a long-term retirement, due to the fiscal issues. I'm also afraid that if I wait too long to decide, it may be too late. Though I guess my home NW isn't that huge of a % of total NW, so maybe delaying a move isn't that big a deal.

-ERD50
+1, but the way I look at it is that I'll be downsizing, so the lesser $ I make in the sale of my house because of it being in Illinois will be offset by the lesser that I'll have to pay for a smaller house elsewhere

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2014, 12:09 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think some of those "Best and Worst States" to live in, retire in, etc polls might use the whole aggregate of the state, while others simply use data from the capital cities, and that's one reason why results can vary.

Looks like my home state of Maryland ranks high on that list too, #3 at 49% of the people. Personally, I don't have a problem with the state. I'm not crazy about certain parts of the state, mainly the areas that are more crowded, corrupt, or crime-ridden. But, you get that anywhere.

Now, in the next 5-6 years I would like to leave the county I'm in, and maybe move about 20-30 miles out from where I'm at, to a place where you can get more land and seclusion, and lower property taxes, but still not be *too* far from everything. But I'm happy, for the most part, with the state. I have found that as I get older, I do get less tolerant of winters though. Maryland's winters usually aren't that bad, though.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:13 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraC View Post
Lived both north and south in IL. Chicago's cool, but prefer the rolling hills of the south.

IN government recently has shown how discriminatory and backwards they are in a 2014 society which makes it a factor in considering moving to a different state. (no I did not vote for those government people that are backwards)
Got it, the governments of IL and IN do have their differences. Didn't realize that's what you were getting at. I'd contend that geographically and culturally, you could drop most small towns in MI, WI, IL, OH, IN, PA, MO in any other of those states, and no one would notice. I had a lot of customers in those states, surprisingly alike, though most residents wouldn't have known.

OTOH, Chicago seems unlike any other Midwestern city IME. Not surprising given it's size. More progressive and more expensive, with outsized issues as well. Truly wonderful place to visit IMO. And Chicago is unlike most of the rest of IL as well...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:26 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Got it, the governments of IL and IN do have their differences. Didn't realize that's what you were getting at. I'd contend that geographically and culturally, you could drop most small towns in MI, WI, IL, OH, IN, PA, MO in any other of those states, and no one would notice. I had a lot of customers in those states, surprisingly alike, though most residents wouldn't have known.

I would agree....And as unofficial spokesman for MO., I don't think we would have any concerns annexing Southern Illinois.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2014, 12:28 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Will be leaving Il on retirement.

Will split time between FL and WI with residency in FL. Park systems, taxes states 2nd amendment stance are important amoung other things.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:34 PM   #26

Personal preferences...
We live in North Central Illinois, and really like it. Taxes don't affect us.

Smallish town 9000, with a 50,000 "metro" population... (the travel area that uses our Best in the Nation new YMCA.)

Every major store and franchise within 2 miles, and one mile in any direction to country roads, and 2 miles to the Junction of interstate highways 39 N/S and 80 E/W. Almost no red lights. People are much nicer than in city areas, and you see lots more smiles. We love the four seasons (2014 winter excluded), and it's 27 miles to our camp on the lake. A wonderful city park for walking and festivities, and rivers for canoeing, as well as bike trails that go from here to Chicago along the Illinois River. Next to Starved Rock State Park... #1 Illinois recreation area. Low house taxes, low crime and good schools.

One more year (winter) in our Florida senior community and then back here to Illinois to serve out our time.

We probably would have been happy to continue to live in our onetime home on Martha's Vineyard, but life didn't turn out that way.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Of course, ultimately it comes down to a single house...
That made me laugh, as it comes quite close to the truth. Even assessing the "worth" of individual towns or cities seems to me an inaccurate exercise at best. In many large cities, there is a significant difference between living in the nice areas and the bad areas, yet people compare cities as if they are homogeneous entities.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:55 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
That made me laugh, as it comes quite close to the truth. Even assessing the "worth" of individual towns or cities seems to me an inaccurate exercise at best. In many large cities, there is a significant difference between living in the nice areas and the bad areas, yet people compare cities as if they are homogeneous entities.
There are streets/homes in my neighborhood that I wouldn't live on/in...I suspect many would agree.

The planet-country-state-metro-city-neighborhood studies/surveys are useful for narrowing choices in the selection process, that's all they're meant to offer...

Old 05-01-2014, 05:52 PM   #29
Administrator

The young wife and I quite deliberately chose to move to Connecticut 25 years ago, and we have never regretted it. We love it here and don't plan to leave.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:06 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
The young wife and I quite deliberately chose to move to Connecticut 25 years ago, and we have never regretted it. We love it here and don't plan to leave.
So you're part of the half that wants to stay.

Like I said earlier, we wanted to retire in Mystic, we just concluded we couldn't afford to...

Old 05-01-2014, 06:31 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I know several people who would leave IL in a heartbeat if their job wasn't in the area. But with the huge tax/pension/budget problems looming this state is doomed...
Old 05-01-2014, 06:41 PM   #32

I bet this past winter convinced quite a few ILers to leave
Old 05-01-2014, 07:27 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

If you can make a living in Oregon few will leave.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:33 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Personal preferences...
We live in North Central Illinois, and really like it. Taxes don't affect us.
Two things going for ya:
- Smaller town, lower (real estate) taxes than a place like Chicagoland
- Retirement exemption income... nice if you are fully retired

I'm still w*rking and family is in Chicagoland. I'd be murdered by the taxes, as my siblings are. With my dad still up there and in decline, I've considered moving back but won't. I spent a lot of time up there this winter and darn near died. I forgot just how brutal the winter was.

Then there is the living expenses. I'd have to have a serious rise in pay, I mean serious to move back. I guess I'm saying the study talks about people moving out, but what about those considering moving in? I think a lot look and say "no".

In another thread, imoldernu pointed out how having a residence during nursing home years can be a shelter for net worth. True. But siblings and I decided to sell dad's home while he is now in care. The carrying costs were killing us. It was just too complex. Dad had a shack of a condo and was paying about $10k in taxes and fees.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:53 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Where to live is a fine balance. Once you are elderly proximity to family is very important PROVIDING that they are able to oversee your needs.

The fine balance is the emotional needs of the aged senior, their finances, and their health care needs. No magic bullet.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:02 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I must say I am surprised at CT being so high on the list. Been there twice for a day or so seem like a pretty nice place, with an affluent population and good schools.

I am not surprised about IL, I suspect the government and the prospect of higher taxes has a lot to do with it.

None of the places on the bottom of the list Montana, Hawaii, Maine or Oregon surprise me much either.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:21 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

I left Connecticut in 1981 for a job with Big Oil. Glad I (we) left as each time I go back to visit, more manufacturing plants are shut down, the biggest employer is the city (in my old town), my sister's property tax is about 5% of the value of her home, my nephews can't find decent paying jobs, etc...

But there is a Dunkin Donuts on each corner!

Oh, two nephews left CT last year for work in other states.