Join Early Retirement Today

Halloween on the Hill
Old 11-01-2008, 03:33 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Halloween on the Hill

Halloween is always a big deal on Capitol Hill, DC. We get hundreds of trick or treaters on the side streets and East Capitol Street gets many thousands. East Capitol houses are decked out to the nines with lights, sounds, and ghouls. We took our daughter when she was young and still walk around every year just to see the sights. Last night the weather was great and the crowds were huge. My favorite house was the one that always does a tongue in cheek political theme with various headliners outfitted as ghouls. This year they had McCain as the devil and Obama as an angel (hope this doesn't get the post moved to the soap box). I took a cell phone shot but it isn't very clear. It may give you an idea of the crowds:

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2008, 05:08 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

So who goes broke giving out candy? I had a tad over twenty at most all night out in our suburb.

And left over candy to rot my teeth - I only buy what I like.

heh heh heh - good weather also. Nice picture.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:45 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Capitol Hill is a great neighborhood. I live in Northern Virginia but did a lot of work in that area and got to know it quite well. If I was going to move into the city, Capitol Hill would be the place. BTW, I bought a huge bag o’candy at Costo and we only got two trick or treaters last night. Where did all the kids go? We had quite a few last year.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:57 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
So who goes broke giving out candy? I had a tad over twenty at most all night out in our suburb.

And left over candy to rot my teeth - I only buy what I like.
We had a bunch of candy 'odds & ends' laying around, so we took some small 'ziplocs' and put a hand full in each bag.....all wrapped candy, not loose stuff like jelly beans or anything like that. We had 30 bags made up, plus we had bought 2 bags of 'fun size' Snickers bars. Gave out all 30 bags, and the last kid got a couple of Snickers.....the candy bar kind!

Some years we have 50-60 kids, some years a dozen or less....and the numbers aren't affected by good/bad weather. Last night the it was perfect out......low 60's and nice....and only 31 kids. Fortunately this year they were almost all little kids, and only a couple of teenage beggars.

We've always bought the kind of candy that we like, because whatever is leftover will more than likely go to waist....ours!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:52 AM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

We also had perfect weather but alas the only kids we had were The SO's grandchildren . I had bought little bags of Oreo's figuring they'd be candied out .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:21 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sounds like fun donheff! My kids are still too young to enjoy the spooky part so the slightest spookiness puts them on edge!

In the burbs here, very few kids. I live in the neighborhood that I grew up in and it used to be streaming with kids. I thought it was just the demographic shift (older kids here vs younger) that caused the blight during halloween - I think we had about 6 or so doorbell rings all night. But guess it's contagious.

I know a lot of people go to neighborhood festivals or church events because they think it is "safer" than going to the neighbors houses...there was probably only every 4th or so house even with a light on around here...
Old 11-02-2008, 11:43 AM   #7

The number if kids varies wildly here, sometimes dozens, sometimes very few. DW said there were perhaps a dozen this year (I was at work). So I filled a gallon-size ziplock with the leftover candy, took it to work yesterday and handed it out to everyone who came in the gate. Found out that people don't expect the security guys checking ID's and searching cars to hand out candy. Lots of surprised smiles.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:03 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

It's a joke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post

My favorite house was the one that always does a tongue in cheek political theme with various headliners outfitted as ghouls. This year they had McCain as the devil and Obama as an angel (hope this doesn't get the post moved to the soap box).

No reason for that to send it to the SoapBox, it's all in good fun. So I'm sure you'll appreciate bringing a little balance to the humor. Here's one I came across:

Quote:
Some kids go up to a house and say, "trick or treat!"

The guy comes out and says, "Wow, look how much candy you have gathered. I am going to take half and give that portion to the kids who are too lazy to go trick or treating."

The kids reply, "Oh crap! It's Obama's house!"
Please, if that upsets you, take your reply to the SoapBox!

Happy (post) Halloween everyone!

PS: We also had fantastic weather here, and it seemed like fewer trick & treaters. Odd.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:32 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

i live on a sharp turn on a country back road with no streetlights and crazy drivers doing 55+ in a 45 MPH zone. some make the turn, some don't.
but every year i make sure i have Reeses PB cups on hand "just in case". my annual record for trick or treaters in 25 years here was exactly 3.
gee whiz, what shall i do with the leftover candy?