Handy Forum Words

I have my isues with grammar and spelling, but recently was treated to a very nice letter of recommendation the Dean of Instruction for a community college wrote for a relative. A few quotes from that letter:

"I’m writing this reference letter in support of Xxx Xxxxx whom is applying for the"...

"One thing that has been most impressive about Xxx’s work on campus is with our faculty."

"...
, I asked for Xxx’s assistance at a conference I was presenting at."

"
Xxxxx came with me to help with the presentation, make sure the technical piece of having the Ipads interact with the hotel wireless, managing a new downloaded app, and then assistance for workshop attendees during the presentation."

I'm an ingrate to pick at the letter.

My customary response is to point at the bike lane and step to one side. In this case the riders were a middle aged couple, and one yelled "wat, yawannaus toget kilt?"
Yes, if at all possible!

I have my isues with grammar and spelling, but recently was treated to a very nice letter of recommendation the Dean of Instruction for a community college wrote for a relative. A few quotes from that letter:

"I’m writing this reference letter in support of Xxx Xxxxx whom is applying for the"...

"One thing that has been most impressive about Xxx’s work on campus is with our faculty."

"...
, I asked for Xxx’s assistance at a conference I was presenting at."

"
Xxxxx came with me to help with the presentation, make sure the technical piece of having the Ipads interact with the hotel wireless, managing a new downloaded app, and then assistance for workshop attendees during the presentation."

I'm an ingrate to pick at the letter.
I hope your relative will go elsewhere for his/her education.

Ha

As I struggled with grammar/spelling in school, I noticed that many of my very literate classmates stumbled badly when it came to multiplication/division of fractions and other math functions.
Today I still have difficulty with the keyboard while easily and seamlessly switching between metric, inch, and fractional measurements in the shop.
Math test is next. :)

Alot, abit, should of; then we you mean than, rediculous, hugh for huge........there's a million of 'em.

As I struggled with grammar/spelling in school, I noticed that many of my very literate classmates stumbled badly when it came to multiplication/division of fractions and other math functions.
Today I still have difficulty with the keyboard while easily and seamlessly switching between metric, inch, and fractional measurements in the shop.
Math test is next. :)

You're not alone.
Math, science, and history came easy, I was interested in the subjects and had good teachers. Grammer was not so easy, my primary teacher was both verbally and physically abusive. It was the 60s, we all knew what happened to complainers.
When I w*rked inspecting lumber, I did fractional math in my head all day long. That was one of the most enjoyable parts of that j*b.
MRG

"Most everybody does it"

This one drives me crazy. In the past few years even educated, non-shlubbs have started using it as if it were actual English that expresses an idea.

It's either "ALMOST everybody does it" or "MOST people do it.

You're not alone.
If I recall correctly, one of the errors in the first Hubble mirror was caused my a miscalculation when switching between inch/metric scale.
In the metal shop standard tolerances are .1mm, .001", and 1/64" for working stock in the US.
Most here would have no trouble deciding if 13/64ths is >/< 1/2". It gets a little more difficult when the spec calls for 13.3mm OD. Can I start with 1/2'' stock or do I need 17/32"? etc...

Last edited:
Spelling counts too!

Attachments

• 1941506_658512017542780_693561815_o.jpg
    1941506_658512017542780_693561815_o.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 9
Whenever I read a thread like this, I always want to kindly remind participants to this forum that some posters - including myself - are not English native speakers. Therefore please be patient with us. I do my best when I post but mistakes and typos sometimes do happen, even with the auto-correct function turned on with the iPad.

Thank you :)

Last edited:
[-]Your[/-] You're right about that!

Tech types back at MegaCorp (including my boss) couldn't bring themselves to use "you are" or the contraction "you're." It was always "your."

I'd email "we need that project completed by Friday." They'd email "your not going to get it." I'd reply "did you mean 'you're'?" They'd reply "your nuts!"

I gave up.

Whenever I read a thread like this, I always want to kindly remind participants to this forum that some posters - including myself - are not English native speakers. Therefore please be patient with us. I do my best when I post but mistakes and typos sometimes do happen, even with the auto-correct function turned on with the iPad.

Thank you :)

Je le comprends.

"Most everybody does it"

This one drives me crazy. In the past few years even educated, non-shlubbs have started using it as if it were actual English that expresses an idea.

It's either "ALMOST everybody does it" or "MOST people do it.
The version I often hear is "Most everyone does it." If enough people adopt it in their everyday use of the language (both written and spoken) it will become an accepted usage. Perhaps it already has? It hadn't even occurred to me before you mentioned it.

But people say "myself included", not "me included", correct?

Personally I'd say "Including me"....... 'myself', for whatever reason, (perhaps as part of the everybody-gets-a-prize philosophy which attempts to downplay the individual), has insinuated itself into 'popular culture' to a point where you'll hear people on the radio saying "Call myself at......"

(But, hey, I'm basically an autodidact, what do I know?) ;)

Me vs Myself | e Learn English Language

If enough people adopt it in their everyday use of the language (both written and spoken) it will become an accepted usage. Perhaps it already has?

I think an example of that is the very proper "Hold your horses. I only have two hands!" Grammatically it should be "I have only two hands. But the first was is the way most everyone says it.

I think an example of that is the very proper "Hold your horses. I only have two hands!" Grammatically it should be "I have only two hands. But the first was is the way most everyone says it.
This could get weird. There was a song first out in the '30s, "I Only Have Eyes For You". This was later done by the Flamingos and was in the American Graffiti soundtrack. So say he changed it to "I have eyes only for you". What would he be saying? His Honey can have sole possession of his eyes, but he isn't promising anything about all those other organs?

Sounds like less than a wonderful deal for her.

Ha

Last edited:
I believe that the phrase "I have eyes for you only" would offer her more comfort.

So here's a punctuation question for the group:

What is the proper way to use a colon, as I did above, if it is also a question?

Example:

Where could I find examples of the following?:

< list of stuff>​

So it's a question, but it also seems to need the colon to show that it leads into the following list. But ":?" or "?:" or "? :" looks awkward. But maybe it is correct that way?

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom