Handy Forum Words

Interesting braumeister. I had assumed this usage was an American colloquialism, but it seems that it goes back to the mother country.

Oops! Sorry, there I go confusing people unnecessarily again. You're probably thinking of the English Midlands, but that reference was to the American "South Midland" dialect region. Basically, it extends from eastern Oklahoma and northeastern Texas on the west, over to West Virginia on the east.

That conforms to the wikipedia article you cited, but my point is that it was also considered perfectly normal English in Brooklyn when I was growing up in the 1950s.

Oops! Sorry, there I go confusing people unnecessarily again. You're probably thinking of the English Midlands, but that reference was to the American "South Midland" dialect region. Basically, it extends from eastern Oklahoma and northeastern Texas on the west, over to West Virginia on the east.

That conforms to the wikipedia article you cited, but my point is that it was also considered perfectly normal English in Brooklyn when I was growing up in the 1950s.
I thought that you probably meant the American South Midland region, due to the lack of an "s" at the end of Midland (the presence of an "s" would have made me think it was a reference to the English Midlands).

No, rather, I was thinking of your previous post in which you said that your Random House Unabridged dictionary traced the word "anymore" back to Middle English (used in this way - in the affirmative sense).

Back
Top Bottom