Join Early Retirement Today

Hanging on to my part time job (rant about a coworker)
Old 09-24-2017, 05:52 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We hired her right out of university a couple years ago so she is probably around 25, pretty and an aspiring actress and singer. My friend saw her in an off off broadway play and said her voice had good range. She's actually taken a leave of absence to pursue that acting career only recently returning to her 'day job'. I've worked on jobs with her and she is very good worker. (She hadn't heard or seen any HoneyMooners episodes- which immediately made me suspect) Before I go further with my story I should say I have great respect for artsy people as I cannot draw, sing or whittle. So those who can always amaze me. They strike me as a different breed.

I understand she asked to go part time and was declined. We have two part time people - myself and a bright lady, with 3 kids, who is kind of a business manager. We, meaning the business I work for generally don't do part time. I got it because of three reasons -the work I do is pretty specialized I have both technical and business skills. I just came back from the second knee and my mobility isn't what it used to be. As much as I wish it were otherwise but sometimes my legs get sore and I think about how much walking I need to do even just going for lunch. Finally I my 35th year anniversary last week and am well regarded.

It came to my attention that our actress spoke to my partner and complained that it's not fair 'Ray works part time... If they'd let me work from home I could get more sleep.' My partner pointed to the 35 year award on my self and basically said you aren't Ray.
He also told her you need to choose.

I am enjoying my 3 day work week, I'm productive and the work is challenging and I'd like to continue doing so for a while while longer. Having anyone draw attention to my special situation can't be good for my cause. I also can't help but think how selfish this gal is.. what if management said ok you are right it is unfair.. starting next week no part timers.

I don't plan on saying anything but I can't help but wonder if all thespians are a self centered lot? Or am I seeing this all wrong?
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2017, 06:19 AM   #2
Administrator

Many people think that "But so and so gets to do it " is a legitimate and convincing argument. My mother disabused me of that notion well before kindergarten.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:23 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I also can't help but think how selfish this gal is..
Can you explain more about why you feel this way? Why is it selfish? Because she wants to do other things with her life besides this corporation? Its not like she is getting full time pay or benefits for part time hours.
sturbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Hanging on to my part time job...
Old 09-24-2017, 06:40 AM   #4

Hanging on to my part time job...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturbridge View Post
Can you explain more about why you feel this way? Why is it selfish? Because she wants to do other things with her life besides this corporation? Its not like she is getting full time pay or benefits for part time hours.

I have no issue with her desire to act or for her to go part time. Why would I? It went to the top and She was turned down -If she continues to complain management may just say no part time for anyone. I've seen it before ...It is easy solution for them.

When the business manager went part time the rest of us just said - wow she's got a good gig.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:52 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
I don't plan on saying anything but I can't help but wonder if all thespians are a self centered lot? Or am I seeing this all wrong?
That’s a pretty broad brush you’re painting with.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:54 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's convenient to stamp a label on someone.

I don't see anything wrong with asking for PT status. If one employee has it, it is probably a sure thing that others will want it too. In fact, it is something I am thinking about. But I give it a lot of thought, and how to present it.

A younger individual probably does not understand all that goes into a PT decision by management. Still, she can probably get a PT job just about anywhere that pays the same or more. Just does not realize it.

The question for manager, is whether or not she has potential, and how to guide her.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
A younger individual probably does not understand all that goes into a PT decision by management.
Probably true.
For you two part timers, I imagine the decision was to reward you after you had proved your value.

For the newcomer, it should be straightforward to explain that and offer to reconsider it down the road somewhere if appropriate.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:39 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I had a gal on my team who pointed out that some couples were allowed to w*rk in the same departments but she and her spouse had been turned down.

According to the policy it was the head of the department's decision and she wasn't on his good side. She persisted in her attempts.I was transferring out of that area and suggested she back off, as she was upsetting the other couples who were allowed to.

She was canned a month after I left.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:18 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
We hired her right out of university a couple years ago so she is probably around 25, pretty and an aspiring actress and singer. My friend saw her in an off off broadway play and said her voice had good range. She's actually taken a leave of absence to pursue that acting career only recently returning to her 'day job'. I've worked on jobs with her and she is very good worker. (She hadn't heard or seen any HoneyMooners episodes- which immediately made me suspect) Before I go further with my story I should say I have great respect for artsy people as I cannot draw, sing or whittle. So those who can always amaze me. They strike me as a different breed.

I understand she asked to go part time and was declined. We have two part time people - myself and a bright lady, with 3 kids, who is kind of a business manager. We, meaning the business I work for generally don't do part time. I got it because of three reasons -the work I do is pretty specialized I have both technical and business skills. I just came back from the second knee and my mobility isn't what it used to be. As much as I wish it were otherwise but sometimes my legs get sore and I think about how much walking I need to do even just going for lunch. Finally I my 35th year anniversary last week and am well regarded.

It came to my attention that our actress spoke to my partner and complained that it's not fair 'Ray works part time... If they'd let me work from home I could get more sleep.' My partner pointed to the 35 year award on my self and basically said you aren't Ray.
He also told her you need to choose.

I am enjoying my 3 day work week, I'm productive and the work is challenging and I'd like to continue doing so for a while while longer. Having anyone draw attention to my special situation can't be good for my cause. I also can't help but think how selfish this gal is.. what if management said ok you are right it is unfair.. starting next week no part timers.

Rayinpenn, this sort of thing is why it is difficult to consider some of those who move to a part time job, to be fully retired. You are still putting up with aggravation and baloney that no retiree should even have to think of after they are retired.

I'd think differently if you said, "oh well, I don't need this hassle, I'm outta here!" and started occupying your time otherwise, perhaps planning to travel the world or following other pursuits. Then I would believe that your present job is just a fun job in retirement.

Time to think about what retirement really means to you. My guess is that what you described above isn't it. What are your dreams for retirement?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:55 AM   #10

Ray, my old barber cant sing , but it didn't stop him from serenading me during my last and final visit to him. You can belt out a few lines from the All In The Family opening song, she probably never saw that show either.

Im sure someone will advise her to contact a labor attorney, seems to be the flavor of the decade, if all else fails sue for some perceived wrong.

If I was on her side, I would say you could eat lunch at your desk there by you wouldn't have to walk to the lunch room. And you could work 5 days like the rest of the bunch. I would let you bring in a small ice chest and microwave if it was necessary to care for your noon day feast.

As far as going to the bathroom I would suggest you bring in a large coffee can and get some Depends so you can relieve yourself with out needing to walk to the mens room. I can see your not trying hard enough to be a team player.

In my old job, some of the newer folks wanted a chest full of medals, weekends off, and a desk job. The fact that the ones that had those positions were 35 year members that had paid their dues wasn't their concern.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:01 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

This is all I see in it, too. Not a darn thing to do with her specialties, in fact I would not have thought to connect them.

I was never shy about asking if I could do something I saw others doing. In fact, while working full-time, I requested the privilege of working extra hours during the week and taking every other Friday off. I knew some people who did it, and I knew I had the "hard worker" chops to get away with asking. But I almost did not get permission, b/c my managers were worried that a certain someone else - who was not a hard worker - would demand the same privilege and make trouble if they didn't get it.

Now if this young woman stamps her foot over being denied, I would say that is due to her personality, not the fact that she is "arty."

Quote:
I
A younger individual probably does not understand all that goes into a PT decision by management.

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:12 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
................ I can't help but wonder if all thespians are a self centered lot? .................
It is not fair to judge her for her sexual preferences.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:19 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Rayinpenn, this sort of thing is why it is difficult to consider some of those who move to a part time job, to be fully retired. You are still putting up with aggravation and baloney that no retiree should even have to think of after they are retired.

+1
This is what I was thinking, how I'm glad I no longer have the aggravation of "work politics" or the petty thinking of fellow employees over company status symbols like parking spots.

I do occasional work, not even part-time, not regular, so I can easily ignore all the drama at the client office as I'm only around a few days each time.

Now, OP - I do like your posts and your participation here, and wish I had joined a few years before my retirement.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:25 AM   #14

Quote:
I also can't help but think how selfish this gal is.. what if management said ok you are right it is unfair.. starting next week no part timers.

It strikes me that thespians are indeed selfish when it comes to their careers and jobs... along with just about everyone else. Back when you asked about going to a 3 day/week schedule, that was also for "selfish" reasons, wasn't it? I think your thespian co-worker is motivated by the same general selfishness that everyone is, but perhaps it doesn't appear that way to you because you view your own motives for wanting a part-time schedule as somehow more worthy than hers?
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:53 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

She made it all the way to her late 20s before smacking into the reality that life is not fair?

This has nothing to do with her hobbies, talents, job situation. She just doesn't understand how the world works, and believes that it should give her things just because she asked for it. So I'd chalk it up to both being very naive and a bit stupid and hope she learns more as time goes by.

If the variation of the words "It's not fair if X gets something and I don't." ever come out of a person's mouth, I automatically know that they are naive, and unfortunately might just be a bit stupid. The stupid part scales upwards with age. So I'd not judge a 10 year old as stupid, but a 20-something? Oh, my yes.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:13 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Life is not fair when one is denied things, otherwise it seems fine if one gets the reward.

Perhaps she is pretty, pretty people get more than others sometimes simply because they are pretty. It becomes more surprising to them when they get denied because it's less often.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:38 PM   #17

Quote:
A younger individual probably does not understand all that goes into a PT decision by management. Still, she can probably get a PT job just about anywhere that pays the same or more. Just does not realize it.
That's the thing- I don't think she could get a PT job paying anywhere near her hourly rate. My colleague told her so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

I'd think differently if you said, "oh well, I don't need this hassle, I'm outta here!" and started occupying your time otherwise, perhaps planning to travel the world or following other pursuits. Then I would believe that your present job is just a fun job in retirement.

Time to think about what retirement really means to you. My guess is that what you described above isn't it. What are your dreams for retirement?
I am truly blessed financially to be able to retire anytime I want... I work to stay busy, the job is challenging, 9.5 miles away, with indoor parking and I can work from home anytime I want. Trust me when I say this gal is tiny bump in the road all things considered. It is an awesome gig. I'll stay as long as they have me or until I get tired of it. So far that hasn't happened.

In truth my son is a freshman in college and as soon as he's stable at school I'd like to relocate. With my 4 day weekends I've decluttered and painted the garage to that end ... you know a tidy freshly painted garage is a beautiful thing.

I dream of me sitting in the sunshine, a fishing rod in hand, on a bridge or a pier or maybe a little putt putt boat.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:53 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I can see her point of view too. She sees that some employees have more privileges than others. She may be wondering whether ageism or sexism is contributing to this. In fact, that may well be the case. The OP has indicated that she is a good worker. IMHO she is within her rights to advocate for equal treatment. She is clearly not happy with the response she has received. Her next decision will be whether to (a) accept it; (b) look for another job; or (c) get advice from a labour lawyer.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
She may be wondering whether ageism or sexism is contributing to this. In fact, that may well be the case. The OP has indicated that she is a good worker.

Sexism/sexism: naah There are 2 part time workers 1 is a gal young maybe 32 and 1 is me (ancient). The group she works in has several workers that are better and fully committed to their careers. She clearly isnt.

Oh neither of us part timers has the same role as her...
Old 09-24-2017, 03:10 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I think you are worrying when you should not...

Mgmt has made its decision.... you are part time, she is not...

Now, if you were not needed or not good at what you do the maybe you could worry... however, if you are FI, then who cares?

I remember my last job where there was no company policy for sick leave... but one person took advantage of the situation and the owner had me come up with a policy... I did try and make it flexible so you could go do Dr appts without taking off, but it did change how some people felt about the company.... the guy who caused the problem was gone in less than a year, but the policy lived on...

BUT, there are a couple of people who have long commutes and can work from home a few days a week... the normal response when someone would try and get that bene was 'you do not do that kind of job'....

Another thing to consider... does the company need someone to do that job full time? IOW, the reason I was let go from my job was I had gotten the work down to part time and sat around a good amount of time doing nothing but web surfing and napping... that did not go over well with the people who had to put in longer hours... but I got all of my work done and did it very well...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote