Happiest states in America - 2018 version

Big_Hitter

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
"To determine where Americans exhibit the best combination of these factors, we examined the 50 states across 31 key metrics, ranging from depression rate to sports participation rate to income growth. Read on for our findings, additional insight from a panel of experts and a full description of our methodology."

https://wallethub.com/edu/happiest-states/6959/

I'm not sure about Hawaii being the Happiest state. On Oahu, where about 1 million folks live, the cost of living is very high, traffic is near the worst in the nation (I used to spend an extra 55 minutes per day driving 26 miles, over what it should have taken me with light traffic). Many folks work 2-3 jobs to make ends meet. Still, overall, we are friendlier (IMHO) than many states, and we are surrounded by amazing oceans, with little pollution, few natural disasters, and relatively low crime rates. That said, I'm here, because it's the state that makes me the happiest! I'm sure most would agree that they live where they do because they like the area....?

Interesting! It doesn't surprise me the top 5 states one bit. Congratulations to those who live there.

Ridiculous.

As long as I have a happy home, I could not care in the least how happy my state is judged to be.

Interesting! It doesn't surprise me the top 5 states one bit. Congratulations to those who live there.

I lived in ND for about 2 years when I was a kid. All I can remember is that it was always cold.

North Dakota is always on the "good" lists. So why do less than 800k people live there?

So Utah is the 2nd happiest state...with one of the highest suicide rates?

Are they happy suicides? (Or am I reading it incorrectly?)

North Dakota is always on the "good" lists. So why do less than 800k people live there?

That is the secret less people makes me way more happier. People that live in high populated states can have it I would be very unhappy living in large metro areas. That cold keeps the bad away most likely. Good for them.

I have noticed that often ND is always at the top of these kind of lists.

Oregon, one of my favorite states, is 39 on the list. Quite low. What's going on?

"To determine where Americans exhibit the best combination of these factors, we examined the 50 states across 31 key metrics, ranging from depression rate to sports participation rate to income growth..

Depression rate is obviously an unhappiness measure. Oregon tops the list in this factor, or was it bottom, depending on how you sort the order. Oregon is the first state that legalizes MJ. Is MJ not supposed to help depression?

I don't like big cities either, but I like small towns even less.

I'm a mid size guy, around a 100,000 - :)

California is number 5, if you believe this list. Even the cows are happy if you believe the commercial for milk.

Last edited:
I believe.

You should blow town.

Oregon, one of my favorite states, is 39 on the list. Quite low. What's going on?

Depression rate is obviously an unhappiness measure. Oregon tops the list in this factor, or was it bottom, depending on how you sort the order. Oregon is the first state that legalizes MJ. Is MJ not supposed to help depression?

There's not much but anecdotal evidence about cannabis and depression. There are related issues like PTSD, and anxiety disorders it's been proven to help. Some people get relief from CBD but it's not mainstream yet.

I'd get depressed in Oregon because of lack of light. Need a tanning bed to live in.

I would have rated California higher than 5. The combination of weather and high paying jobs and all the things to see and do can't be beat. I don't understand why Florida is so low on the list. But then again, our experience with Florida is the South east region (Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami Dade) east of the I-95.

So Utah is the 2nd happiest state...with one of the highest suicide rates?

Are they happy suicides? (Or am I reading it incorrectly?)

After all the sad people commit suicide, it leaves a higher balance of happy people.

I know if I committed suicide, some folks would be happy so I find that motivation to keep on living well :dance:

I moved from Oregon to the big island of Hawaii at retirement a year ago. I am quite happy��☀️��

You have to take these surveys with a huge grain of salt.

The Nordic countries are always rated near the top in happiness, yet they also have the highest per capita consumption of antidepressants. I always wondered how that could be, until a Norwegian I know pointed out that they probably survey people in the summer!

Because less than 800K people live there. If more people lived there, they'd be less happy.

Last edited:

Before I retired I was researching places to live and I wanted to know what state had the lowest population per square mile. That state was North Dakota. Then I went to NOAA's web site and looked up the climate there. Oh. That's why!

I scratched ND off my list immediately. I hate cold weather.:D

WV scored dead last on the happiness scale, but we must be outliers because we like it just fine.

I see the $75,000 a year happiness point quoted again.
Followed that link, it was 2010. $75,000 in 2010 inflates to about $86,500 in 2018.
Damn, I need to get a job or up the Withdraw Rate to be happy.
NY comes in a good place, but the City always skews any state wide surveys.

Before I retired I was researching places to live and I wanted to know what state had the lowest population per square mile. That state was North Dakota. Then I went to NOAA's web site and looked up the climate there. Oh. That's why!

I scratched ND off my list immediately. I hate cold weather.:D

WV scored dead last on the happiness scale, but we must be outliers because we like it just fine.

I am guessing you live closer to the Virginia side vs. Appalachia.

That list is fine if people rank all three categories equally, but most people don't. Those who don't mind cold weather and/or have the means to get away for part of the year can be perfectly happy in a colder place that is less crowded and less expensive. And, of course, those who hate the cold will never be happy in a winter climate regardless of any of the other positive attributes.

That is the secret less people makes me way more happier. People that live in high populated states can have it I would be very unhappy living in large metro areas. That cold keeps the bad away most likely. Good for them.

I have noticed that often ND is always at the top of these kind of lists.

DW and I were visiting cousins (two brothers in a farming partnership) in Jamestown (100 miles west of Fargo) awhile back. We were having a farewell Sunday breakfast at the local Perkins. Every few minutes a customer would come in the door, see our table and walk over for some friendly conversation with our hosts. This was not an isolated thing -- we'd walk into a cafe and the boys knew everyone in the room.

Maybe that sense of belonging is a source of happiness. Or maybe it's the amount of booze the state consumes, eclipsing even my beloved Wisconsin. https://kfgo.com/news/articles/2018/mar/09/north-dakota-americas-drunkest-state/

Back
Top Bottom