Join Early Retirement Today

Happiness and goals
Old 10-21-2004, 06:25 AM   #1

Happiness and goals

This is mostly to dispel the notion that I am an unhappy
pessimist. Actually I think the reverse is true. What inspired this topic was the frequent complaints I read
from people (ERed and wannbees) who are/were
miserable in their jobs. I worked a long time and I
don't recall ever being miserable in any job and I had a lot of them. If I had been I would have quit immediately
as even at a young age I recognized that we are
here only briefly. Same with my first marriage. I was not miserable. Work or marriage,
or relationships, or life its own self , I always moved on for what I thought was something better down the road, not because I was "miserable". Usually I was right,
but even when I got blindsided a bit, I took the lemon
and made lemonade. Because of this, I can't recall a really major decision in my life where I looked back and said, "Man, that was the wrong way to go." (My wife would say that;s because I think things to death )
Anyway, I see myself as an eternal
optimist, at least in so far as my own abilities to make my life better.

John Galt
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

"Optimist"
Old 10-21-2004, 07:04 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

"Optimist"

Nope, when I look in the dictionary I just don't see Ayn Rand's photo by this word.

I guess it's time to go back to the library. Maybe I finally have enough time in my life to tackle "Atlas Shrugged", "War & Peace", "Anna Karenina", and L. Ron Hubbard's science fiction "novels"...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Happiness and goals
Old 10-21-2004, 07:48 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I do believe that people commonly think that what they own, or what they do or where they live will make them happy without realizing that happiness is (IMHO) an "inside job". I do not remember being particularly happy as a child but in my 30s I went through a combination of religious/consciousness (maybe accidental) experiences and just "got happy". This drives my 15 year old son nuts, he rolls his eyes and says "Oh no, Dad is having another happy attack". But its generally true. I get a raise-I'm happy, car breaks down-I'm happy. I eat at Mc Donalds or a fine restaurant-I'm happy. I'm not sure but maybe my wife picked me for this reason, I look at her and my eyes light up. Stuff-take it or leave it. Oh, I actually, really like kayaking.
I'm not sure what this has to do with early retirement but I'm not worried about that either.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:46 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

John Stossel narrated a TV special several years ago - his theory: there is a lucky minority born with the "happy gene".

Unfortunately I'm basically a pesimist and a worrier - but after twelve years of ER - I don't take myself seriously anymore - things just seem to work out.

unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 11:53 AM   #5

Quote:
I do believe that people commonly think that what they own, or what they do or where they live will make them happy without realizing that happiness is (IMHO) an "inside job". I do not remember being particularly happy as a child but in my 30s I went through a combination of religious/consciousness (maybe accidental) experiences and just "got happy". This drives my 15 year old son nuts, he rolls his eyes and says "Oh no, Dad is having another happy attack". But its generally true. I get a raise-I'm happy, car breaks down-I'm happy. I eat at Mc Donalds or a fine restaurant-I'm happy. I'm not sure but maybe my wife picked me for this reason, I look at her and my eyes light up. Stuff-take it or leave it. Oh, I actually, really like kayaking.
I'm not sure what this has to do with early retirement but I'm not worried about that either.
Yaakers:

You have got a very good handle on what's important.
I especially liked your last paragraph, where you stated that maybe your wife picked you for "this reason". Also, when your eyes light up when you look at her, is exactly the way I feel about my wife of 42 years.

John Galt: Read above post, and maybe you'll realize that it's not about me, me, me. (You aren't fooling anybody, and certainly not me).
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 11:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Roberto Benigni acknowledges your type in the wonderful film 'Life is Beautiful', a comedy set during the Holocaust.
Re: "Optimist"
Old 10-21-2004, 12:00 PM   #7

Re: "Optimist"

Quote:
Maybe I finally have enough time in my life to tackle "Atlas Shrugged", "War & Peace", "Anna Karenina", and L. Ron Hubbard's science fiction "novels"...
If you've got to prioritize them then the Ayn Rand cult documents definitely fall behind the L. Ron Hubbard cult documents. If you want to read a big book have a look at Doesteyovsky. I would recommend The Brothers Karamazov. It has some portions that speak to some of the ideas behind early retirement.
Hyperborea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 12:01 PM   #8

Hi Jarhead! FYI, I am not trying to fool anyone
(why would I?). Nope, I just calls 'em like I sees 'em
and let the chips fall where they may. I have quite a few
traits which many find unappealing. Unhappy
pessimist ain't one of them.

John Galt
Old 10-21-2004, 12:36 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I do believe that people commonly think that what they own, or what they do or where they live will make them happy without realizing that happiness is (IMHO) an "inside job".
Yakers,

Great post! I was just saying this to my wife the other day (only not as eloquently).

Regarding your eyes lighting up when you see your wife: we have a plaque on the wall in our home that says this: "The Best Thing a Father Can Do For His Children is to Love Their Mother" (and the reverse is also true). We have been very lucky in that regard - we were married at ages 21 and 20 and have been married for 31 years now; she is everything to me. I have two brothers who weren't as lucky (through no fault of their own) so I count my blessings regularly.
Bob_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 12:47 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh, I actually, really like kayaking.
There are some things we were simply never meant to know. We must just bask in the warmth of their realities and not question further...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 12:51 PM   #11

Quote:
we were married at ages 21 and 20 and have been married for 31 years now; she is everything to me.
Bob,

My wife is also everything to me and we tell each other that every day. While most people fret here about running out of money, I fret about losing my wife. We have made a deal that we will both go at the same time, because we could not bear to live without each other.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:56 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
While most people fret here about running out of money, I fret about losing my wife.
I agree Cut-Throat.
Bob_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 05:13 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

John Galt - one of your better threads - we all need to take responsibility for our situation and happiness.
Yakers - I'm with you (no children though) I can be happy with the simplist things
Unclemick - I'm also with you - I can worry abou a lot of things that keep me from happiness - I'm working on that.
Those who have a wife that light up their eyes are among the luckiest of all.
It is great to read some really mature posts. Is it unusual that they were written by men?
OK enough of that emotion - how about Boston - is that a sign of the end of the world?
Thanks for the post - I enjoyed them
Old 10-28-2004, 09:51 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Happiness, to me at least, is learning new things. When I think back on the times in my life when I was happiest, it was when I was learning new things (high school, university, the first 5 or so years at work).

For the next 30 or so years, I will be spending a majority of my time discovering the world that has been hidden from me. I don't expect or need to find anything that someone else hasn't found before, but it will be new to me and that's what counts. Considering that my interests up til now have been rather narrow (technical/scientific), I have plenty of opportunity to be happy, if I can just open my mind enough to let the new ideas in.

Unhappiness is stagnation. Happiness is growth.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:12 AM   #15
Dryer sheet wannabe

Maturity and aging play a part in our perceptions and outlook. People can and do change. I realize how poorly I handled some former supervisors and stayed in jobs that were NG. I went back to school at 44 and after graduation changed jobs. The last 7 years have been SO much better.
tenative is offline   Reply With Quote