Happy 4th of July weekend! What are your plans?

Good to have the beaver back in the business, Al. It's good to have you back, too.

TromboneAl said:
On the last wave of the day, the board did a nosedive, and I did a sommersault off the front.  Had only a split-second to think how funny it must of looked, when I got a major whack from the board.  Even through the wetsuit hood it caused a lot of bleeding.
When you surface, you're supposed to wave at the beach crowd to show them that you meant to do that!

Then you show your wounds to the judges for extra bonus points-- or at least the "best wipeout" award.

I guess one advantage of a wetsuit is that it's positively buoyant and it knows which way is up while you're trying to regain consciousness...

Actually got a good reaction from DW when she saw all the blood in the hair, and got lot of undeserved pampering.

You're so lucky you don't have to wear a full wetsuit, Nords. Sometimes it takes more energy to get that thing off than it does to surf.

And please get a new picture of you surfing so we can give you the respect you deserve.

TromboneAl said:
You're so lucky you don't have to wear a full wetsuit, Nords.  Sometimes it takes more energy to get that thing off than it does to surf. 
Hey, there's a reason we live here. We learned to dive in Monterey Bay and we used to spend a lot of time off Monastery Beach & Lover's Point. I have a custom-fitted 3/8" farmer john/beavertail with a full hood hanging in the garage where I hope I never have to use it again. When we bought all our tanks from people who'd learned in Hawaii it made us go "Hmmm..."

One of my favorite surfing photos isn't dramatic or even very artistic. It's Doc Ball in the '40s or early '50s surfing in just a swimsuit... in the 65-degree water. I think the caption is "Grin & Bear It" or some play on words like that.

TromboneAl said:
And please get a new picture of you surfing so we can give you the respect you deserve.
I'll take that as a compliment! I'm trying. I've discovered a few things about surf photography:
1) The cameras don't usually float.
2) You can't use a wrist strap and paddle a board with any effectiveness.
3) Cameras around your neck and heavy surf don't mix too well.
4) Camera in one hand, surfboard in the other-- bad idea.
5) @#$%ing viewfinders are not designed for the presbyopic.

When I get more comfortable with 1-4 we'll give the camera to the kid and let her see what she can do.

I've gained immense respect for the guy taking the picture of the surfer in the tube.

Same thing I do every day...

Hoist the flag
Check the crab traps
Go to the beach
Swim
Knock off a few chapters
Drink some beer
Make sure everyone's bikini's are ok
Drink some more beer
Think about the walk back for cocktails

Just another day in ER paradise :)

happy 4th all!

Bum,
You obviously are working too hard. Take some time off! ;)

Happy 4th to all!

Just off the phone

BBQ over here. Then off to see the fireworks. :confused: 6-10 people counting kids - so far.

Pretty straight forward.

Now - if we were back in Louisiana - the kid in me would be over the Parish line picking out really cool stuff at the fireworks stand to shoot illegally in New Orleans Parish.

At heart - I'm bad, bad bad.

heh heh heh heh - maybe next year.

Crap crap crap and double crap

Me and the late step daughter's son/wife went out last night and got more meat and fixings for the BBQ(more last minute people coming).

And then we sat around remembering some 4th's when he was little and I was er ah 'younger' - when his wife mentioned this humongous warehouse fireworks place north of KC and south of St Joe.

Rats! - It's going to be a long long long day!

Think food. Right?

heh heh heh heh - happy 4th everyone. The crowd arrives at noon.

Tori loved the fireworks at the local park, we used bubbles to keep her happy until the big show. That's yours truly looking dorky and more enthralled than her!

img_407267_0_f94ca2a0ba9495f35885369da0c165ec.jpg

img_407267_1_e27610b046c77f78c92bfd5c3a723e41.jpg

Laurence said:
Tori loved the fireworks at the local park, we used bubbles to keep her happy until the big show. That's yours truly looking dorky and more enthralled than her!

Wow, those are some WHITE thighs Laurence! I thought you lived in SD:confused: ;)

Great pictures Laurence! I didn't know you wore glasses.

I usually wear contacts, I'm giving my eyes a rest, plus, it helps Tori keep hers on when we "put our glasses on!". :)

Hey, put the Irish in San Diego, they don't become any less Irish! :LOL:

Tori really is a cutie, Laurence

Love seeing those father/daughter moment pictures.

KB said:
Tori really is a cutie, Laurence

Tori's pics doesn't do her justice. She's not only a beautiful baby, she has a very sweet spirit too.

cube_rat said:
Tori's pics doesn't do her justice. She's not only a beautiful baby, she has a very sweet spirit too.

Why thank you! Although I think she'd cry if she met your current avatar in person! :eek: ;)

Laurence said:
Why thank you! Although I think she'd cry if she met your current avatar in person! :eek: ;)

Ouchy the clown is a well known figure in the bay area. He kind of reminds me of that evil clown in that Rob Zombie movie, The Devil's Rejects. :eek:

Laurence said:
That's yours truly looking dorky and more enthralled than her!
There's a great photo-caption contest in that second shot!

We did manage to meet up with Astromeria and her husband who were on their Grand Tour of Italy. Really delightful folks and we had fun visiting Monte Oliveto Maggiore and the villa gardens at La Foce.. "tourist" things that we tend to indulge in only when guests arrive. My camera battery was dead and I'd misplaced the spare, so no pix, but maybe Astromeria will post some when she gets back.

Have a great summer, all!

Last night we arrived in Rome, having spent 2 delightful days (4 e 5 luglio) talking, sightseeing, and eating with ladelfina and hubby in Southern Tuscany. Count yourself lucky indeed to have ladelfina as your hostess and guide! I think we could've gone on chatting away to the end of the month at least  :) And they took us off the bus & train routes to see the gorgeous and peaceful monastery of Monte Oliveto Maggiore and the beautiful gardens at La Foce.

After almost 3 weeks in Venice, Bologna, Florence, Cortona, Pienza, and environs, we're taking our first morning off. This afternoon, it's Classical Rome--Colisseum, Capitoline Hill, Palatine Hill--all walking distance from our hotel. Tomorrow, the Vatican, and Saturday, the Pantheon, Borghese Gallery, Spanish Steps, Trevi fountain, and general meandering. Then, onward to Positano. What a trip!

glad to hear you made it OK! What the H*** are you doing posting here, you mad woman? Go out and get a gelato or something!! :eek: 8)

Back
Top Bottom