Join Early Retirement Today

Happy Dog Story
Old 03-01-2007, 01:09 PM   #1

Happy Dog Story

These sad stories about the pups break my heart, I'm so sorry for the wrenching losses experienced by fellow members lately with their pets.

I wanted to give you all a good story though, about a very lucky puppy! Yesterday I left work in usual rush hour traffic, driving across our spectacular new Cooper River Bridge here in Charleston, SC. 4 lanes each way, 55+mph traffic. As I topped the bridge, I saw brakelights in farthest left lane and then traffic slowing.

Then I saw it, a small black lab mix pup, running across 4 lanes of traffic. Some cars stopped, others kept going, the pup just kept running, weaving, darting in and out of traffic, miraculously not getting hit. I stopped my car, got out and started chasing the dog, stripping off my shirt (yes, I had on a tank top) to try to lasso him. So there we are, both weaving in and out of cars, trying not to get hit. Let's just say it must have been quite a spectacle! He ran past me, and I jumped for him and missed. He kept going, so I jumped back in the car and chased him towards the first off ramp, along with another lady in a beemer.

We got him down the ramp, blocking traffic all the while, then amazingly he ran into an office building parking lot that had a big chainlink fenced area at the back with an open gate. He collapsed, exhausted, inside the fence and I got the gate most of the way closed and pulled my car across the rest of the hole. With the help of a nice lady from the office building, we got him leashed. He was so exhausted, he couldn't even walk to the car. I carried him (trying not to think of all those shots if he was rabid) to the car, and then called animal control to meet me to get him to our SPCA, which has a great vet clinic attached (it was after hours for my vet by then).

I checked in on him today, he's in fine shape, healthy but limping, and they will hold him for five days as a stray before releasing him for adoption. He is small (35lbs) has black longish hair, and is young and very spry! I am sure we can find a great home for this little fellow who is very lucky indeed. I have no idea how he got on top of the bridge (maybe came out of the back of some redneck's truck) but he must have missed being hit by more than 100 cars. Sometimes we win one!

Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Happy Dog Story
Old 03-01-2007, 01:47 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Sarah. I needed that .

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:53 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
Thanks, Sarah. I needed that .
Really ! A very edifying story on more than one level. Can you say a little
more about the tank top ?

Old 03-01-2007, 02:27 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

Awesome story. Thanks for chasing him down!!
Old 03-01-2007, 03:14 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

cooper is a good name for the dog. or he could be called highway. good job sarah. glad you didn't get hurt.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:42 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

You're a fine lady, Sarah!! Got my vote for a "Hero" award!

Job well done.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:12 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We would have been sad if the puppy got hit, but we'd have been a lot sadder if you'd gotten hit.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:26 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

TWO good dog stories, although I have a bunch of good cat stories too.

About six years ago my wife (then my girlfriend) decided we should have a second dog, so we went off to the pound. As we finished parking, we heard a dog yelping so loud it made it all the way out to the lot. When we went in, we looked for the source of all this noise and we saw this:

[img width=750 height=562]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e369/cutefuzzybunny/PB090097.jpg[/img]

Unfortunately, he'd just been found and brought in, and they had several days waiting period before we could take him. AND a scuzzbucket had already been in that day and, having decided that he needed a dog to chain out in his yard for protection, wanted him as well.

We showed up the minute they opened on the day he was to be released. And wouldnt you know it, the scuzzbucket was there already.

I had a brief conversation with him where I persuaded him to choose another dog somewhere else.

And Ted is now Gabes trusty steed and persistent protector.

Other story...

We got our first dog Jasmine almost 8 years ago. We had put her outside on a lead hooked to the back door to practice 'doing her business' somewhere other than the living room carpet when I looked out the back window to see a large dog in the yard about to touch noses with her. Being concerned as she was a wee little thing, I opened the door and off he ran.

Over the course of the next few days I noticed him sleeping out in the big open field behind my wifes house. The next time we put Jasmine outside, back over he came once we were inside, this time with a stick in his mouth. Jasmine saw the stick and of course, wanted it more than anything in the world. This new dog came up to where she could barely reach at the end of the leash...and he held the stick out to about 1" further than she could reach and waggled it at her.

A real bastard...of course I liked him immediately.

Over the course of the next 3 years, "Jake" came closer and closer to us, and my wife gained his full trust. We left food out for him and he'd sleep in the carport on bad weather days. He played with Jasmine and Ted and often come close enough to let me touch him. He was fairly tame, and must have been someones pet at some point. We wondered if he escaped a yard or was left behind by someone when they moved. He was easily a couple of years old when he first came around and had been stealing food and eating out of the grocery store dumpsters. Everyone in the neighborhood knew him and animal control was always on the prowl for him.

Then my wife and I got married and started working on her house for sale.

Quite a puzzle what we'd do with Jake. A neighbor that liked him might put food out for him, or we might try to find a buyer that would take the house "with dog".

Then on one trip over to the house to check on things, we packed the dogs into my Expedition and Jake came to the back of the truck to say goodbye to them. And I picked him up and threw him in before he knew what was going on and shut the door.

As I got in the car my wife, still trying to get over the fact that I managed to toss the shy dog into the car, the one who had avoided animal control for years, said "What the?!?"

"He's going to our house with us".

He surprised me by taking to living in our fenced yard quite well. He digs a few Hogans Heroes holes near the fence now and then, but he doesnt really seem interested in leaving. He's sleeping on his own memory foam bed in a corner of the kitchen as we speak, fat on chicken jerky and too many dog biscuits.

Every once in a while when he lets me rub his belly, I tell him that he's the luckiest dog in the world.

Now for my next trick...getting him into the garage and throwing him in the back of the truck again.

[img width=750 height=624]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e369/cutefuzzybunny/P8260017.jpg[/img]
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:24 AM   #9

CFB, I love the pictures! Great, life affirming stuff! Ted looks a lot like a Rottie/Lab mix we had when I was a teenager--what a lucky bunch of pets you have! And shy Jake, how awesome that you were able to scoop him up like that! Good luck with luring him into the car for move #2! How do you handle the vet? We have so many, the vets come to us!

And yeah, Rusty, think redneck lady running around like an idiot, not Miss February bobbling around up there!

I think we've found a potential forever home for our latest foster Border Collie Petey, so we might have room for (Cooper does sound good) this pup til we find him a good place. Fostering is so hard, though, we get very attached!
Sarah (here's Petey with Donald and Hokey the cat...can't figure out the photo thingy)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Donald reading.JPG (29.1 KB, 12 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb Donald reading.JPG_thumb (38.2 KB, 0 views)

Old 03-02-2007, 12:09 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Coincidentally, when Molly Bea (Yellow lab) and I went out to get the newspaper (is my age showing yet?) on Wednesday morning, this followed us back to the house:

I'm guessing she's 7 or 8 months old at the most, is wearing a collar with no tags, and appears well fed even though she's skinny compared to Molly:

I've gated our deck as a pen for Molly and she's thin enough to fit through the balusters, which she slipped through to "fish" for whatever she could find in Molly's water bucket.

Since I live in a rural area, it isn't unusual for someone to drop off unwanted animal, but this is the first one that has "adopted" us. She's a little bit shy, but has spent the entire time hanging around the house, slipping on and off the deck to bug the heck out of play with her new friend.

The problem is, of course, we do not need another dog. I'm hoping we will be able to do some traveling in the not too distant future, and finding someone to care for Molly is going to be challenging enough without a second one. I have a call in to the Animal Defense League to see if I make a large enough donation they will take her.

Sheesh...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:22 PM   #11

REWahoo---how adorable! We have dropoffs all the time, too. Sucks!

Find a friend who can be talked pressured into taking her! I have had to stretch further afield with each new stray, but have always found somebody I knew to take the ones we find. My family hides/won't return calls if they hear I've got a new one around the house....

One idea I've used is to take a cute/soulful/pitiful picture and put it up in the vet's office bulletin board with a heartfelt message and a great name! I got a bite within 2 days on the mournful hound we named Rufus who showed up in a blinding thunderstorm. He's now called Jake, living the big life with a caterer, who shares all kinds of people food with him!

Our rescue group posts on Petfinders.org and always have great luck finding good folks. But, think about it...if you are going to be traveling, Molly Bea needs a friend to keep her company when her people are gone!

Sarah

Old 03-02-2007, 01:21 PM   #12

Those ARE happy dog stories!

I've been haunting petfinder.com and our local shelter lately. It's been 8 mos. since I lost my dog, and I really miss having one.

I really want to start with a puppy, but with both of us working it seems impossible. The wise thing would be to wait until Sept. when SO ER's, but my resistance is weakening.

Also, since I've had a non-shedding breed for 13 years, I'm not excited about taking on the whole dog-hair-everywhere thing. I'd rather adopt than pay money to a Labradoodle breeder, but I don't have much hope of finding a non-shedding puppy breed in the shelter. OTOH, that's where I found my purebred Portugese Water Dog 13 years ago, so anything could happen.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:34 PM   #13

Hey Sheryl, is there a national rescue organization for the Port. Water Dogs or any of the other non-shedding breeds you are interested in? That might be the place to start...they may have so few dogs to place that they don't use petfinders. The Weimareiner folks are that way. But now...you wanna border collie? We've got plenty! Where are you?

I'd say get a dog now, don't wait, you'll never regret getting one sooner, but maybe not a little puppy, but one older--the puppy experience is WAY over-rated! And I really don't like those Labradoodles--have heard bad things about the disreputable breeding since it has become a popular cross. Lots of behavioral problems. Poodles can be really nice, though, and easy keepers available in any size you could want.

And hey, what's a little dog hair--just don't buy any fleece jackets!

Sarah

Old 03-02-2007, 01:57 PM   #14

Oh man.. that Jake I would not be able to resist.. what a handsome guy!

Kudos to all you folks who have taken in strays!
Old 03-02-2007, 04:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclesters
Hey Sheryl, is there a national rescue organization for the Port. Water Dogs or any of the other non-shedding breeds you are interested in? That might be the place to start...they may have so few dogs to place that they don't use petfinders. The Weimareiner folks are that way. But now...you wanna border collie? We've got plenty! Where are you?

I'd say get a dog now, don't wait, you'll never regret getting one sooner, but maybe not a little puppy, but one older--the puppy experience is WAY over-rated! And I really don't like those Labradoodles--have heard bad things about the disreputable breeding since it has become a popular cross. Lots of behavioral problems. Poodles can be really nice, though, and easy keepers available in any size you could want.

And hey, what's a little dog hair--just don't buy any fleece jackets!

Sarah
There is a rescue - but they get very few dogs - and have a waiting list, I think. I would love a border collie. If I don't go the poodle/PWD route, I'd like a border collie or Australian Shepherd. A smart dog that likes to run.

We are about as far as you can get from SC - Washington State. But I may be back east in a few months...
Old 03-02-2007, 08:23 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Hmm...Jake and the vet...well...he's never been sick or injured except one time he showed up at my wifes old house with a good size gash over his right eye. I'd guess that someone took a shot at him and it glanced off his head at a sharp angle. I washed it up, put some AAA on it for a couple of weeks and it settled.

I give them all heartworm and the other two go to the vet for shots, but we've just let Jake go on his own merits. Theres no way I'd get him leashed up and into a vets office on a regular basis and no way he'd let anyone other than the three of us get near him. He surprised me a bit by taking to Gabe right away...very gentle with him.

Its going to become a bit more problematic as he gets older - and he has to be 9-10 by now although we have no idea as to his true age - and a real problem towards the end.

But right now he's fat, happy, and just about to come in for another snooze on his bed.

Wahoo...our dog Jasmine likes to paw and bite the water. When we take her to the lake, she proceeds to try and remove all the rocks from under the water at the shoreline and take them all back up to the treeline. A daunting task, but one feels duty-bound to fulfill.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:44 AM   #17

Just a quick update on my happy dog story...
"Arthur" has found a new home with a lovely family! I've been working with the SPCA on getting him placed through them instead of bringing him home, thinking he would get more exposure there. And it happened!

He was adopted out this weekend! Yeah! What a great change of fortune from running around at the top of the bridge in rush hour traffic to a new home with a nice family! Awesome!

Sarah