Join Early Retirement Today

Happy GroundHog Day
Old 02-02-2009, 07:35 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Happy GroundHog Day

For NE residents, this is big stuff.
Our little furry friend saw his shadow today in PA.
As tradition has it, there will be 6 more weeks of winter - argh!!!

FOXNews.com - Groundhog Day: Phil Sees Shadow, Predicts 6 More Weeks of Winter - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Cabin fever is just about due to hit home, anytime now...wait for it...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just once I'd like that poor critter the bite the hell out of that jerk's hand. Every year some fool snatching him out of his nice warm den
into cold air, flashing lights and a noisy crowed. If it were me I'd be salty. Messing with someones sleep is sacrilegious.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:54 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DW and I went to see our local groundhog today. "Ivy" the Groundhog makes the prediction for the Dayton area. She says 6 more weeks of winter.

It was a lot of fun--many little kids, and the weather guesser from the local news station (not Bill Murray) was there. The museum staff was a little worried, it seems that every year it is harder and harder to get Ivy to wake up (she's 8 years old now--not a kid). She had an understudy "shadowing" her this year, and will take over the franchise in 2010 I think.

Big teeth. The leather gloves are not just for show.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:05 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
Just once I'd like that poor critter the bite the hell out of that jerk's hand. Every year some fool snatching him out of his nice warm den
into cold air, flashing lights and a noisy crowed. If it were me I'd be salty. Messing with someones sleep is sacrilegious.
Your wish came true --NYC Mayor Bloomberg got bitten by Charles G. Hogg, the Staten Island Zoo Groundhog!

How's this for a warning? Groundhog Staten Island Chuck bites Mayor Bloomberg on big day

Quote:
Maybe it was revenge.
Last week, Mayor Bloomberg took a bite out of the Staten Island Zoo's budget. Monday, the zoo's weather-predicting groundhog, Charles G. Hogg, took a bite out of Hizzoner. "He got my finger pretty good," Bloomberg allowed, as he held the recalcitrant groundhog up in the air and declared spring on the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alg_mike_chuck.jpg (34.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-02-2009, 11:05 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

And personally I'd be thrilled if there were only six more weeks of winter! Dream on....
Old 02-02-2009, 11:19 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
And personally I'd be thrilled if there were only six more weeks of winter! Dream on....
My thoughts exactly. I live in Wisconsin. Only six more weeks of winter would mean a short winter as we usually have snow on the ground until late April sometimes May. It's snowed on my brother's birthday numerous times and that's over 13 weeks away.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:19 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Being from Wisconsin myself I'm always grumpy that the Sun Prairie Groundhog gets overshadowed by the guy in Pa. What's the name of WI predictor?

Saw a robin today near my West Coast digs, definitely a good cheerful sign.

Edit: nm, google says he's Jimmy and he saw it:

http://www.channel3000.com/news/18620660/detail.html
Old 02-03-2009, 07:22 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
DW and I went to see our local groundhog today. "Ivy" the Groundhog makes the prediction for the Dayton area. She says 6 more weeks of winter.

It was a lot of fun--many little kids, and the weather guesser from the local news station (not Bill Murray) was there.
Sam, what an adorable picture! I didn't copy it when I quoted you (just above), but thought it was really cute.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:43 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
For NE residents, this is big stuff.
Our little furry friend saw his shadow today in PA.
As tradition has it, there will be 6 more weeks of winter - argh!!!

FOXNews.com - Groundhog Day: Phil Sees Shadow, Predicts 6 More Weeks of Winter - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Cabin fever is just about due to hit home, anytime now...wait for it...

Poor Phil,
Being overshadowed by the superbowl now that they occur at approximately the same time. He used to have the doldrums of winter all to himself.
Nice to have this humorous custom occur nearby. Not as rowdy since they banned the booze a few years ago. Nothing funnier than a rodent being handled by a man in a tux and top hat. Unless it is Bloomberg getting bit by one!

Free