Happy Independence Day America!!!

Red Badger

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hoping those who celebrate have a grand (and safe) day! We're not planning much. DS working. I'll probably fire up the smoker and toss in a slab of beef ribs. I do need to stop by my local micro-brewery as I am out of IPA. :(

FWIW, I always believed that July 4th should be a commemorative day, while Oct 19th as a cause for a celebratory occasion. It was Oct 19, 1781 when Cornwallis surrendered. Between those dates, America came close to losing the Revolutionary War on several occasions. As you enjoy the holiday, keep in mind the sacrifices paid by so many, that allow us to chart our destinies, largely unfettered by the government we put into power.

As a nation, we are far from perfect. But, as an idea, we just ROCK!! :dance: Happy Birthday America!!!

Love this country.

Happy July 4 to good neighbours.

:greetings10:

Red Badger, nice post and have a great holiday to all E-R members. Too hot here for much outside, under an excessive heat advisory with heat index 105-110F.

Happy Independence Day!

Attachments

• fireworks2018.jpg
    fireworks2018.jpg
    844 KB · Views: 16
Hoping those who celebrate have a grand (and safe) day! We're not planning much. DS working. I'll probably fire up the smoker and toss in a slab of beef ribs. I do need to stop by my local micro-brewery as I am out of IPA. :(

FWIW, I always believed that July 4th should be a commemorative day, while Oct 19th as a cause for a celebratory occasion. It was Oct 19, 1781 when Cornwallis surrendered. Between those dates, America came close to losing the Revolutionary War on several occasions. As you enjoy the holiday, keep in mind the sacrifices paid by so many, that allow us to chart our destinies, largely unfettered by the government we put into power.

As a nation, we are far from perfect. But, as an idea, we just ROCK!! :dance: Happy Birthday America!!!

I was thinking of the sacrifice this morning - and to think that a third of Washington's men battled through the winter with no shoes.

We became a country of great opportunity and freedom because of our patriots. I have been truly blessed and lucky to have my retired life lived with the protection of our Armed Forces and allies. [emoji631] Happy 4th of July from the Battle Born State of Nevada!

I am proud of my country, proud to have served my country and proud to say I am an American!!!!!

It saddens me to read a recent poll that most younger people are not at all proud of America or proud to be Americans

With a little time on my hands, today I spent more than two hours reading the annotated Declaration of Independence on Wikipedia.

Possibly the most appreciated read in the past several years. IMHO worthy of a full years college course... perhaps mandatory.

How soon we forget.:(

We had a July 4 party and prepared a Jeopardy game with the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution as two of the topics. I had not thought about how wise our Founding Fathers were for a while.

For the first time in a long time, we brought in BBQ rather than making the food ourselves. Far less stressful and very good. Only cost us $150 or so more than if we had bought the food and cooked it ourselves. Well worth it for a stress free party!

With a little time on my hands, today I spent more than two hours reading the annotated Declaration of Independence on Wikipedia.

Possibly the most appreciated read in the past several years. IMHO worthy of a full years college course... perhaps mandatory.

How soon we forget.:(

OP here.

I had the great fortune of having a brilliant history professor while completing my undergrad (in my 30's). He sparked a fire in me that grows today. I've read many books about the founding of our great and blessed country, with an emphasis on the constitution /constitutional convention.

As a small example of how they got it so near perfect, just look how many Supreme Court decisions hang on just the Bill of Right. Without those ten simple changes, America would be a very different place (I think it might a much darker place w/o those ten rights).

One thing i found amazing that illustrates just how "young" this country is...

Someone in their 80's (of which there are many) has lived 1/3 of its history!

One thing i found amazing that illustrates just how "young" this country is...

Someone in their 80's (of which there are many) has lived 1/3 of its history!

Definitely something to ponder.

My grandparents were all born long before powered flight was invented. A couple of them lived to fly on commercial jet aircraft and one watched men walk on the moon.

As a German friend once put it, the difference between Americans and Europeans is that one thinks 200 years is a long time and the other thinks that 200 miles is a long distance.

I remember Paul Harvey telling the story on how the word Yankee came about . During the early days of our country New York city was known as New Amsterdam because of all the Dutch . Now it seemed the British did not like the Dutch and often made fun of them . Because the most common Dutch name at the time was Jon and the Dutch were always eating cheese . . The British called them a bunch a bunch of Jon Cheese . When the Dutch said it , they pronounced it as Yon-kees . The Dutch took it as a somewhat compliment So they became Yankee Doodle Dandies

All the best as we celebrate the birth of the USA.

Some of your may know this, perhaps most, but on this day in 1826 two of our most famous founding fathers died within a short time of each other - John Adams and Thomas Jefferson. If you ever want to spend a good 12 hours in front of your TV, dig up the DVD of The Adams Chronicles (1976) staring George Gizzard as John Adams and Lisa Lucas as Abigail Adams. It covers multiple generations of this very remarkable family.

Happy July 4th to everyone.

If you ever want to spend a good 12 hours in front of your TV, dig up the DVD of The Adams Chronicles (1976) staring George Gizzard as John Adams and Lisa Lucas as Abigail Adams.

I would also highly recommend the biography of John Adams by the inimitable David McCullough. You will feel as if you're there during his life.

John Adams

Happy July 4th to every American, wherever you are from your neighbours to the north.

To quote a great American classic:

"Here's to the Army and Navy and the battles they have won; here's to America's colors, the colors that never run.

May the wings of liberty never lose a feather."

Happy Independence Day American....

This is birthday number 245!

In 5 years we’ll be celebrating 250 years as a nation!

Happy Independence Day!

Happy 4th!

I love being so close to fireworks displays. I can't see them from my house, but I can drive 5 minutes and have a short walk to have a great view. After the display, when everyone is funneling out of the one exit on the mountain, I cruise away from all that back to my house on the backside of the mountain. As another plus, I can wait and watch the weather, and something popped up 1/2 hour ago and it looks like rain for the next hour. So I might just skip them, with nothing lost in drive time.

Back
Top Bottom