Happy Monday Everyone!!!

ExFlyBoy5

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Oh how nice it is to be retired. It has been raining here for the last couple of days (almost 3" over the last 24 hours here at the house) and as you might guess, Atlanta traffic is an absolute mess today. Being retired and NOT having to be somewhere is such a great thing. Sure, it's too gloomy and wet to enjoy any hammock time today, but I can lounge around and not do a damn thing today. The view out back is still pretty nice... :D

Attachments

• Yard.jpg
    Yard.jpg
    544.4 KB · Views: 27
  • traffic.jpg
    traffic.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 27
It's raining here too, and I am free to enjoy the sound of the rain from my cosy vantage point indoors. It's great isn't it!

Oh how nice it is to be retired. It has been raining here for the last couple of days (almost 3" over the last 24 hours here at the house) and as you might guess, Atlanta traffic is an absolute mess today. Being retired and NOT having to be somewhere is such a great thing. Sure, it's too gloomy and wet to enjoy any hammock time today, but I can lounge around and not do a damn thing today. The view out back is still pretty nice... :D

+1

We got about 5 inches of rain over the past week but it's clearing now. We needed it but am glad it's over (for a while).

Big task for today is to finish resetting all the clocks in the house. I'll do the cars tomorrow. I didn't want to over do it yesterday. :)

Sundays are pretty nice too, in retirement. No need to rush about doing the laundry, cleaning, and grocery shopping in preparation for the week. It has been raining here too, so I just played couch potato (in my easy chair) and played my favorite video game for much of the day.

Today the rain has lessened, so we are off to the gym. Like you, I do love being retired. I try to get up early enough to watch the traffic report on the morning news. :D

Last edited:
I though this was a invitation to see a band at the Hacienda in Manchester circ 1986

Sundays are pretty nice too, in retirement. No need to rush about doing the laundry, cleaning, and grocery shopping in preparation for the week. It has been raining here too, so I just played couch potato (in my easy chair) and played my favorite video game for much of the day.

Today the rain has lessened, so we are off to the gym. Like you, I do love being retired. I try to get up early enough to watch the traffic report on the morning news. :D

I do enjoy Sundays more than I used to, but since the DW continues to work (for the LIFE of me I can't convince her otherwise!!!) she's tends to drag me down a little on Sunday. ;)

Mondays? I LOVE them now. From watching the traffic reports on TV to seeing the morning exodus of commuters leaving the 'hood it just makes me smile.

I do enjoy Sundays more than I used to, but since the DW continues to work (for the LIFE of me I can't convince her otherwise!!!) she's tends to drag me down a little on Sunday. ;)

How odd. Oh well, it also means that you get her paycheck to blow on whatever you want as long as she is still working, since with adequate financial planning for retirement you don't really need a penny of that money to live on.

I guess that those of us who are single retirees are lucky that we don't have to get dragged down on Sundays. :D

No longer dread Mondays! Seldom even think about what day it is. While we could use some rain, it's almost 60, crisp blue sky can't see a cloud. Still some color left on the oaks.

Stumbled out of bed at 5:30 am today because I forgot to reset the clock in the bedroom. It's Monday?

Raining here in California ... we needed this! I'm bored but will probably use the rain to do things in the house like reorganize the garage stuff. Need to take a walk in the woods or our neighborhood.

How odd. Oh well, it also means that you get her paycheck to blow on whatever you want as long as she is still working, since with adequate financial planning for retirement you don't really need a penny of that money to live on.

I guess that those of us who are single retirees are lucky that we don't have to get dragged down on Sundays. :D

The first few months I thought it was odd too. But, I think she is just "wired" that way. Her parents are wildly successful and could have retired MANY, MANY years ago but continue to toil nonetheless. They do play a lot and spent accordingly, but when they w*rk, they W*RK!!

That is one thing I think the DW enjoys is having "her money" to spend willy nilly on stuff that I would ordinarily harass her about. She knows that she could stop w*rking today if she wanted, so that may enable her to keep on keeping on. For me it was the exact opposite. When I figured out that we would be truly independent (financially speaking), I couldn't get out the door fast enough!!! :dance:

I do have a new venture that's on my mind (commercial property income vs. SFH income) that if we decide to bite off on could keep her "occupied" instead of the daily trudge she currently has.

No rain here in SoCal yet.... but it should rain tonight. As mentioned, we need it.

Had a really nice walk on the beach with the dog this AM.... Trying to get motivated to do some chores... but my comfy chair, laptop, and cuppa coffee are winning the battle to be a slug.

SO glad to not have to fight traffic - the freeway project near my work that started a few years before I retired is still not done... And won't be completely done till 2019. (Unfortunately, the latter stages will impact the on/off ramp that's closest to my house.) But I'm really glad to not have to deal with commuter traffic mixed with freeway construction.

Here in PA it's 70 degrees and we have been raking leaves and chatting with our fellow ER neighbors who want to GIVE our DS a living room set since they are downsizing.

Life is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Very true. I remember back a few years ago when I first starting experiencing the joys of "stress free" Sunday evenings, not feeling any anxiety about the whole Monday morning back-to-the-salt-mines thing. I really don't think I could ever go back to a lifestyle that required me to drag myself out of bed and out onto the roads every Monday morning. It will be interesting to see if I get "dragged down" by any future SO's anxieties regarding Sunday evenings.

OMY Joe here. We have the rain in the Carolinas. The commute was terrible.

Yesterday, I had the "Sunday dread".

What the hell am I still OMYing for?

What the hell am I still OMYing for?

You love your job? You are greedy and want more money? You are afraid of retiring? I give up.... Why?

Is it Monday? Gee, I guess it is! Actually I did know because Saturday I had to set the alarm to make sure I was up in time to lead a hike for the nature foundation, and Sunday I had to set it to get up for a trail run with some friends who only have time for long runs on weekends. Didn't bother to set it today.

You love your job? You are greedy and want more money? You are afraid of retiring? I give up.... Why?

Well, actually, as I've shared elsewhere - to sync my retirement date with the DW.

But I gotta tell you, days like this make me want to just shove it.

But I gotta tell you, days like this make me want to just shove it.

I remember those days (3+ years ago now). The last few years before I retired I felt that way very often. However, once I set my retirement date and gave my ~3 month notice, that seemed to go away. Now it's just a distant memory.:dance:

When I was still working, every time I read a post like this, my heart was filled with excitement, and a bit of impatience. Now, that I've ER'd, I can relate, with great joy, to every word FlyBoy5 wrote in this post. Thank you FlyBoy5 for posting. This morning I lay on my sofa, with my old dog draped across my belly, and I was thinking of the John Lennon's quote something along the line of ...The time we enjoyed wasting was not wasted time.... How true. It was one of the BEST mornings of my life and nothing spectacular or unusual happened.

I simply had the time to walk around in pajamas, made and enjoyed my coffee, pet my dog and told him how handsome he is and that he's such a healthy boy for his age, and then I enjoyed lounging around on my sofa while reading quotes attributed to John Lennon. Another glorious morning in ER.

When I was still working, every time I read a post like this, my heart was filled with excitement, and a bit of impatience. Now, that I've ER'd, I can relate, with great joy, to every word FlyBoy5 wrote in this post. Thank you FlyBoy5 for posting. This morning I lay on my sofa, with my old dog draped across my belly, and I was thinking of the John Lennon's quote something along the line of ...The time we enjoyed wasting was not wasted time.... How true. It was one of the BEST mornings of my life and nothing spectacular or unusual happened.

I simply had the time to walk around in pajamas, made and enjoyed my coffee, pet my dog and told him how handsome he is and that he's such a healthy boy for his age, and then I enjoyed lounging around on my sofa while reading quotes attributed to John Lennon. Another glorious morning in ER.

My pleasure! Look at that...I DID accomplish something today. Never mind the fact that it's almost 5 PM and I am still wearing my pajamas! :)

And I don't think our old junkyard dog has been out of the bed YET today!

Attachments

• 10610783_10205224192025175_5720905004102237929_n.jpg
    10610783_10205224192025175_5720905004102237929_n.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom