Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Happy Monday Everyone!!!
Old 11-02-2015, 07:27 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Happy Monday Everyone!!!

Oh how nice it is to be retired. It has been raining here for the last couple of days (almost 3" over the last 24 hours here at the house) and as you might guess, Atlanta traffic is an absolute mess today. Being retired and NOT having to be somewhere is such a great thing. Sure, it's too gloomy and wet to enjoy any hammock time today, but I can lounge around and not do a damn thing today. The view out back is still pretty nice...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yard.jpg (544.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg traffic.jpg (299.0 KB, 27 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2015, 07:42 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's raining here too, and I am free to enjoy the sound of the rain from my cosy vantage point indoors. It's great isn't it!

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:44 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
Oh how nice it is to be retired. It has been raining here for the last couple of days (almost 3" over the last 24 hours here at the house) and as you might guess, Atlanta traffic is an absolute mess today. Being retired and NOT having to be somewhere is such a great thing. Sure, it's too gloomy and wet to enjoy any hammock time today, but I can lounge around and not do a damn thing today. The view out back is still pretty nice...
+1

We got about 5 inches of rain over the past week but it's clearing now. We needed it but am glad it's over (for a while).

Big task for today is to finish resetting all the clocks in the house. I'll do the cars tomorrow. I didn't want to over do it yesterday.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:47 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Sundays are pretty nice too, in retirement. No need to rush about doing the laundry, cleaning, and grocery shopping in preparation for the week. It has been raining here too, so I just played couch potato (in my easy chair) and played my favorite video game for much of the day.

Today the rain has lessened, so we are off to the gym. Like you, I do love being retired. I try to get up early enough to watch the traffic report on the morning news.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:48 AM   #5

I though this was a invitation to see a band at the Hacienda in Manchester circ 1986

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:55 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Sundays are pretty nice too, in retirement. No need to rush about doing the laundry, cleaning, and grocery shopping in preparation for the week. It has been raining here too, so I just played couch potato (in my easy chair) and played my favorite video game for much of the day.

Today the rain has lessened, so we are off to the gym. Like you, I do love being retired. I try to get up early enough to watch the traffic report on the morning news.
I do enjoy Sundays more than I used to, but since the DW continues to work (for the LIFE of me I can't convince her otherwise!!!) she's tends to drag me down a little on Sunday.

Mondays? I LOVE them now. From watching the traffic reports on TV to seeing the morning exodus of commuters leaving the 'hood it just makes me smile.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:12 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I do enjoy Sundays more than I used to, but since the DW continues to work (for the LIFE of me I can't convince her otherwise!!!) she's tends to drag me down a little on Sunday.
How odd. Oh well, it also means that you get her paycheck to blow on whatever you want as long as she is still working, since with adequate financial planning for retirement you don't really need a penny of that money to live on.

I guess that those of us who are single retirees are lucky that we don't have to get dragged down on Sundays.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
I though this was a invitation to see a band at the Hacienda in Manchester circ 1986
You're twistin' my melon man!

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:31 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

No longer dread Mondays! Seldom even think about what day it is. While we could use some rain, it's almost 60, crisp blue sky can't see a cloud. Still some color left on the oaks.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:44 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Stumbled out of bed at 5:30 am today because I forgot to reset the clock in the bedroom. It's Monday?

Raining here in California ... we needed this! I'm bored but will probably use the rain to do things in the house like reorganize the garage stuff. Need to take a walk in the woods or our neighborhood.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:44 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How odd. Oh well, it also means that you get her paycheck to blow on whatever you want as long as she is still working, since with adequate financial planning for retirement you don't really need a penny of that money to live on.

I guess that those of us who are single retirees are lucky that we don't have to get dragged down on Sundays.
The first few months I thought it was odd too. But, I think she is just "wired" that way. Her parents are wildly successful and could have retired MANY, MANY years ago but continue to toil nonetheless. They do play a lot and spent accordingly, but when they w*rk, they W*RK!!

That is one thing I think the DW enjoys is having "her money" to spend willy nilly on stuff that I would ordinarily harass her about. She knows that she could stop w*rking today if she wanted, so that may enable her to keep on keeping on. For me it was the exact opposite. When I figured out that we would be truly independent (financially speaking), I couldn't get out the door fast enough!!!

I do have a new venture that's on my mind (commercial property income vs. SFH income) that if we decide to bite off on could keep her "occupied" instead of the daily trudge she currently has.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:45 AM   #12

is it Monday already?
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:22 AM   #13

No rain here in SoCal yet.... but it should rain tonight. As mentioned, we need it.

Had a really nice walk on the beach with the dog this AM.... Trying to get motivated to do some chores... but my comfy chair, laptop, and cuppa coffee are winning the battle to be a slug.

SO glad to not have to fight traffic - the freeway project near my work that started a few years before I retired is still not done... And won't be completely done till 2019. (Unfortunately, the latter stages will impact the on/off ramp that's closest to my house.) But I'm really glad to not have to deal with commuter traffic mixed with freeway construction.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:07 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
When I figured out that we would be truly independent (financially speaking), I couldn't get out the door fast enough!!!
+1

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:15 PM   #15

Here in PA it's 70 degrees and we have been raking leaves and chatting with our fellow ER neighbors who want to GIVE our DS a living room set since they are downsizing.

Life is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Very true. I remember back a few years ago when I first starting experiencing the joys of "stress free" Sunday evenings, not feeling any anxiety about the whole Monday morning back-to-the-salt-mines thing. I really don't think I could ever go back to a lifestyle that required me to drag myself out of bed and out onto the roads every Monday morning. It will be interesting to see if I get "dragged down" by any future SO's anxieties regarding Sunday evenings.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:47 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

OMY Joe here. We have the rain in the Carolinas. The commute was terrible.

Yesterday, I had the "Sunday dread".

What the hell am I still OMYing for?
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:50 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
What the hell am I still OMYing for?
You love your job? You are greedy and want more money? You are afraid of retiring? I give up.... Why?
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:51 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Is it Monday? Gee, I guess it is! Actually I did know because Saturday I had to set the alarm to make sure I was up in time to lead a hike for the nature foundation, and Sunday I had to set it to get up for a trail run with some friends who only have time for long runs on weekends. Didn't bother to set it today.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:54 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
You love your job? You are greedy and want more money? You are afraid of retiring? I give up.... Why?
Well, actually, as I've shared elsewhere - to sync my retirement date with the DW.

But I gotta tell you, days like this make me want to just shove it.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote