Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-31-2012, 08:26 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Hawaii's Chinese culture at New Year's has always been an excuse for the pyromaniacs to go nuts (whether they have Chinese ancestry or not), but in the last few years the legislature has throttled back fireworks sales. People can still buy little stuff like poppers and Roman candles, but the big noisy firecrackers are supposed to be limited by permit fees.

The skies are clouding over, and it could be a rainy evening. Judging from the "testing" that we've seen so far this month, it looks like everyone's stash of illegal aerials has been just about used up. There'll probably be some final hurrahs but if it rains enough then it'll be less noisy than ever tonight. We'll still close all the windows but it looks like we might get away with a low-smoke evening.

Otherwise we'll stay hunkered down at home. Maybe we'll go surfing tomorrow, but south shore has been flat and North Shore is pushing 30 feet. We should probably rent some stand-up boards and paddle around for a while.

Our daughter headed out to hike Kokohead Crater this morning with a friend who's an ensign aboard one of the Pearl Harbor ships. Maybe they'll post an update on Facebook, but otherwise I don't think we'll hear from either of those ladies until Tuesday, possibly Wednesday...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2012, 08:52 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Happy New Year!

DH and i ate dinner out and had a few beers. Home now, watching the news. I won't make it till midnight as I must be up early (7:30AM is early these days) to visit family.

Here's to a better/blessed 2013.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:07 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Happy New Year!

I stay home and will most likely be in bed before midnight although the neighborhood fireworks will surely wake me if I'm asleep by then.

Looking forward to a great year in 2013!

Just joined an aquarium that opened a couple weeks ago. I plan to go visit on New Years Day. It's local and I'm hoping it will be a fun place to visit and hang out a couple times a month through the year of my membership.

Oh boy, the fireworks have already started and it's 3 hours till midnight. Gonna be a long noisy night.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:19 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Happy New Year!!!

Our roots are from the East Europe, so NY is a big deal, much more so then other holidays. This is probably the only one time a year when we actually get together with friends, around 11 PM and celebrate till ~3-4 am.

(—Charles Bukowski)
wanaberetiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:42 PM   #25

Happy New Year. We stay at home. I played board games with son-in-law, his brother and his wife. They also taught me a new card game. I am not sure what time my DH went to bed, but he would not play any games with us. I had an enjoyable evening.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:59 PM   #26
Administrator

OK, it's New Year's now, here in New Orleans. The fireworks are going nuts outside!

Happy New Year! 2013 is going to be SO great.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:06 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
OK, it's New Year's now, here in New Orleans. The fireworks are going nuts outside!

Happy New Year! 2013 is going to be SO great.
Ditto from Chicago!
Old 01-01-2013, 12:53 AM   #28

Oh no! Now I'll have to remember to put the correct year on my checks!

(Working on my 3rd glass of Dom and I am hi-larious.)

Happy New Year from my home! I stood in my front lawn and listened to everyone else go crazy. I think I am the wild one on my block as I didn't see a sign of anyone else on the street.

Is it wrong to make a mimosa with Dom Perignon?
Old 01-01-2013, 01:23 AM   #29

Finally left the last of the stragglers by the dying embers of the backyard bonfire at 2am and glad to call it a night. Lots of fun with a handful of good friends and looking forward to the new year!
Shot fireworks, the .22, the potato cannon, and fire hooped! Plus rode the mini-bike around a few times.
We had burgers, chili, beers, and a friend's special pinto bean recipe. Will be up not-too-early to prepare the southern meal of collards, cornbread, field peas and rice, plus some pork. Hope we have a lot of folks, as I have three giant bunches of collards!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:35 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Will be up not-too-early to prepare the southern meal of collards, cornbread, field peas and rice, plus some pork. Hope we have a lot of folks, as I have three giant bunches of collards!
Yep, we have always done the same. Suppose to bring you luck for the new year. I don't have collards but have everything else. My mom has always prepared this in the past but it will be up to me this year. Wish me luck.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #31

Went to annual party for mostly "seniors" last night. Party over by 10:30. Today we'll have another group of friends at our place for the traditional pork, cornbread, blackened peas and greens. We will watch lots of football of course.

Happy New Years! (BTW, did we fall over the fiscal cliff?)
Old 01-01-2013, 08:47 AM   #32

Went to bed last night at 10. At midnight heard a few gunshots turned to DW wished her a Happy New Year and fell back to sleep.
This morning is the excitement. Ran my tax numbers and every retirement calculator I could find - May-July 2014 timeframe for FIRE looks fairly solid.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #33

I have a cold so did not do much. Was awake at midnite and sent texts to a few friends and relatives. I had a three or four hour nap before 12:00 and had seen some of the same people throughout the day but spent most of the day resting and may do the same today although I feel better I am not completely over it. Had a good year overall. Will have to try to post here more often but have been really busy doing other things. Have a GREAT New Year.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:02 AM   #34

Son and Grandaughter Riley (3) here for the holidays. Blessed and happy and thankful. It doesn't get any better than this.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Happy New Year everyone.

We went to a NYE party/open house in the neighborhood with about 20 people, and then out for late dinner at a favorite local restaurant. Neither one of us made it to midnight, haven't in many years.

And today is our 33rd anniversary.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #36
Administrator

Congratulations, Midpack. Wishing you and your bride many more.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim View Post
Is it wrong to make a mimosa with Dom Perignon?
Martha Stewart never covers the important topics, does she?

Quote:
Will be up not-too-early to prepare the southern meal of collards, cornbread, field peas and rice, plus some pork. Hope we have a lot of folks, as I have three giant bunches of collards!
This sounds suspiciously like the ancient Southern tradition of getting rid of leftovers that nobody wanted to eat on the first try...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm told the black-eyed peas are for “coins”, the collard greens are for “folding money”, the pork and cornbread are to remember to be “humble”. Everything else is extra and preference (peach upsidedown cake?).

A nice tradition I was unaware of until I was almost 40 (dumb Yankee) and spent a wonderful NYE with an Aunt & Uncle on Lake Murray in SC. They were insistent about exactly what we ate, it was fun!

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Congratulations, Midpack. Wishing you and your bride many more.
+1

Happy New Year Folks.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #40

Happy New Year!