Join Early Retirement Today

Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2012, 07:53 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Happy New Year!

As we approach New Year's Eve, I was wondering how everyone celebrates, if at all.

DW and I have always felt that this night is somewhat over rated. We usually stay home, wait for the ball to drop, then go to bed. This was always a chore in the Central time zone. The big ball would drop in New York, and we would have another hour to go. Now that we live in the Eastern time zone this particular problem has been solved.

Last year, we found some friends that didn't really celebrate either, so we invited them over, to not celebrate together. Simple soup dinner, good conversation, and scrabble. At twelve, we toasted (with Johnny Walker Blue) the new year, said goodnight, and went to bed. This year we will have a repeat performance.

I better start my bean soup. Again, happy and prosperous New Year to all!!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2012, 07:59 AM   #2
Administrator

We no longer celebrate it, although if we were back in England we'd go stay with my sister in the NE where it is still a pretty big deal.

Happy New Year to everyone here.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:10 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brdofpray View Post

DW and I have always felt that this night is somewhat over rated. We usually stay home, wait for the ball to drop, then go to bed. This was always a chore in the Central time zone. The big ball would drop in New York, and we would have another hour to go. Now that we live in the Eastern time zone this particular problem has been solved.

Last year, we found some friends that didn't really celebrate either, so we invited them over, to not celebrate together. Simple soup dinner, good conversation, and scrabble. At twelve, we toasted (with Johnny Walker Blue) the new year, said goodnight, and went to bed. This year we will have a repeat performance.

I better start my bean soup. Again, happy and prosperous New Year to all!!
I lived in NY for over 20 years and I only went to Time Square once to see the ball drop.

Since my latest divorce 6 years ago, I celebrate New Year by closing out year end paperwork and charts. I have exceeded my savings goal 4 out of 6 years. Also, print out year end 401K statement to see where I am with my goal to not work another day. In other word, I just stay in my tiny apartment and closeout 2012 and make new charts and start new folder (both computer and paper) for my retirement savings. I hope to retire before I'm 62 but may or may not happen depending on factors beyond my control. I have lots and lots of things that I want to do. First thing is to sleep when I want and wake up when I want.
The time to take counsel of your fears is before you make an important battle decision. That’s the time to listen to every fear you can imagine! When you have collected all the facts and fears and made your decision, turn off all your fears and go ahead! – General George S. Patton
Sandhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brdofpray View Post
Last year, we found some friends that didn't really celebrate either, so we invited them over, to not celebrate together.
This is a great approach!
We would like to do the same, but all our close friends live just a little too far to be comfortable driving home after midnight, so we simply have a relaxing evening at home.

My one concession to the holiday is to have a very special bottle of beer to toast the occasion. This year we're looking forward to a magnificent French cider:
Cidre Dupont Reserve, 2003, matured four months in Calvados casks.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We do something fun during the day. Today we're going out to brunch with DS and then to the beach for a beach walk. Might also do a light dinner out. Then come home and watch a DVD with some champagne. DS will be out with his buddies.

We won't stay up until midnight. Will get to bed early and be ready in the morning for a nice brisk run (and walk for DW).
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:56 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

No big celebrations here, but New Year's Eve was my parents' wedding anniversary. When they were both alive we did celebrate with family. I splurged for their 25th anniversary (when I was in college) and hosted a large group at a fancy restaurant. The gifts were mostly silver. Those were the days, before I was frugal!

Here's a toast to you, Mum and Dad!

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Happy New Year!

I will stay home, as usual, to avoid the drunk drivers and such. Also, I don't drink so NYE parties can be awkward. I usually watch the fireworks on TV, and as usual there will be more than enough right here in the neighborhood all around me. I am excited to be alive to experience whatever fun and interesting possibilities 2013 has in store for us.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:11 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

We are jet lagged and tired of socializing after our holiday trip. So we will stay home, drink some bubbly, eat some good food, and go to bed shortly after midnight.

Happy new year, everyone!
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:25 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I will have my med's in the safety of my home. Watch a few games on TV and surf the net. Exciting.

Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2012, 11:41 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I will stay home, as usual, to avoid the drunk drivers and such. Also, I don't drink so NYE parties can be awkward. I usually watch the fireworks on TV, and as usual there will be more than enough right here in the neighborhood all around me. I am excited to be alive to experience whatever fun and interesting possibilities 2013 has in store for us.
Sounds like my typical new year's plans as well. Avoid the insanity!
azphx1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:10 PM   #11
gone traveling

No hats and noise makers for our household. LSU vs Clemson game starts at 6:30 and then DW has a DVD for us to watch. That coupled with a couple of glasses of wine and it will be off to sleep shortly after midnight.

Happy New Year to all of you!
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:14 PM   #12

I almost forgot the big one.
On New Year's Day (not eve), you must have a piece of pickled herring.

My father's family came from northern Germany, where this is a very old tradition, and one I haven't broken in my life, except for the year I was in Vietnam. Besides, it's really tasty!
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:16 PM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

We have several restaurants within a mile so we'll go to one for an early dinner and some drinks with friends .We will be safely home in plenty of time to see the ball drop.New Years day will be a football marathon for Gary & a make the new budget day for me .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:37 PM   #14

We are normally homebodies but this year were invited for karaoke and Wii games with a few friends. Unfortunately, DH didn't sleep well last night so we had to cancel and will be homebodies again. I'll make some oyster chowder and we'll enjoy it with some bubbly. I'll probably watch some football and hope DH gets a good night's sleep.

Happy New Year everyone!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:40 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Happy New Year to all forum members!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:16 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Si-fi channel has their annual twilight zone marathon on all day today if any fans here.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:33 PM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
Si-fi channel has their annual twilight zone marathon on all day today if any fans here.
It's been raining here so it's been on all day except when I switch over to the market news on FOX a few times. (and since there's no pro football on TV today)

I suspect it will stay on all night and into next year since the wife likes Sy-Fy.

Happy New Year to all....
HighRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:00 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

DH and I are staying home. I'm cooking up a batch of my navy bean ham soup. I'll serve it with salad, fresh baked bread, real butter and champagne! DH is getting the fireplace lit and we'll hang out together with our kitties and watch TV.

Happy New Year’s everyone!
Old 12-31-2012, 04:48 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We always stay home and play games, listen to Pandora and just enjoy the evening. Tonight is a little different though since DH has expresses an interest in learning to play bridge, so we're going through some bridge tutorial software together.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:59 PM   #20
Administrator

I am just about to sit down to a nice rack of lamb, accompanied by a nice bottle of Cabernet. After dinner, we'll play a game of Scrabble. Tomorrow morning, we'll make our traditional bunch of butternut squash and smoked chicken hash with poached eggs, and fresh cranberry scones with honey-wlanut butter. Washed down with a bottle of Champagne. We've made the same brunch on New Years for 20 years.