Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-14-2014, 06:52 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Now when I see Euler's formula in this form it brings back distant memories:
e^ix = cos(x) + i*sin(x)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2014, 07:12 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10001377_10152296024724917_903277832_n.jpg (75.2 KB, 7 views)

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:20 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Will that be apple, rhubarb or strawberry?

http://www.thekitchn.com/12-glorious...-pi-day-201296
Old 03-14-2014, 08:26 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pie-pi-mindblow-body.jpg (50.2 KB, 111 views)

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:40 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
That millionth digit is a "1" according to Mathematica.
I memorized pi to 203 decimal places back in junior / senior high school. I wanted to set the world record and at that time the record for memorizing pi was only 1000 decimal places or so. Easily beatable. Then someone memorized it to over 10,000 decimal places and I gave up.

I believe Mathematica uses the Chudnovsky algorithm to compute pi. In fact, I believe most "pi compute records" use the Chudnovsky algorithm. It was developed by the Chudnovsky brothers, two Russian (Ukrainian) mathematicians living in the US. In the early 1990's they set a world record when they computed pi out to 2 billion decimal places. They used a homemade supercomputer in their apartment. I read a New Yorker article titled The Mountains of PI about the two brothers in the early 1990's. Two brilliant men.

A year or two later I was involved in a project that had me computing what were then very large synthetic scientific datasets. Out of the blue I received a request from the Chudnovsky brothers asking if I could send them some of the data. They were interested in exploring numerical patterns in semi-random datasets. I sent them the data along with a note telling them how I once wanted to set the record for memorizing pi and how I read about them in the New Yorker.

Somehow the brothers found out that I was attending the Supercomputing 94 conference in Washington DC that year, and they drove down from their NYC home to meet me. They were two of the most fascinating people I have ever met. I felt incredibly nervous speaking with them because they were so brilliant. But they were very gracious too.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:13 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Does anyone here remember that old Star Trek (original series) episode where some evil alien entity invades the Enterprise's computers? Mr. Spock, in a successful effort to get the entity to flee, asks the computer to "compute, to the last digit, the value of pi." The entity screams and goes crazy and flees the computer. LOL
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:33 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post

A year or two later I was involved in a project that had me computing what were then very large synthetic scientific datasets. Out of the blue I received a request from the Chudnovsky brothers asking if I could send them some of the data. They were interested in exploring numerical patterns in semi-random datasets. I sent them the data along with a note telling them how I once wanted to set the record for memorizing pi and how I read about them in the New Yorker.

Somehow the brothers found out that I was attending the Supercomputing 94 conference in Washington DC that year, and they drove down from their NYC home to meet me. They were two of the most fascinating people I have ever met. I felt incredibly nervous speaking with them because they were so brilliant. But they were very gracious too.
Very cool story!
Old 03-14-2014, 09:46 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Well, the average engineer does not really know much about pure or more abstract math topics. He is taught to handle or process formulas or equations, but is not taught about the fundamentals of mathematics like a math major is. Some of the engineers do take some more advanced math classes when pursuing post-graduate degrees, but not all take the more abstract subjects.

I have had problems explaining to engineer coworkers (those with Master or PhD) the principle of cardinality, or in laymen's terms, different levels of infinity of different infinite sets. Heck, they even call "real numbers" the floating point representation of numbers by digital computers, not realizing that computers can only define rational numbers, and actually a very small, meaning finite, subset of all rational numbers, let alone "real" numbers.

I had exposure to these topics in freshman year in college prior to emigrating to the US. The program required an entrance exam, which admitted 15 students from across the nation that year. In that 1st year, we learned Linear Algebra, Abstract Algebra (or the Theory of Numbers), and Real Analysis ("Real" as opposed to "Complex", and not "phony").

Coming to the States, I switched to engineering as it would pay better, plus I already played with electronics since 12, so it was not all that hard. Only in graduate school that I really had to study when dealing with advanced engineering subjects like Optimal Control Theory, Digital Signal Processing, Random Processes and Estimation Theory, Error Correcting Codes, etc...

So, I did not have a Math degree, but had a taste of the stuff, and knew a bit more than the typical engineer. However, my knowledge is far short of what would be needed to read Wiles's proof of Fermat's Conjecture, a riddle that persisted for nearly 400 years until proven true in 1993.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:51 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

My biggest scare in college when I was getting one of my engineering degrees was ending up taking Differential Equations in the math department. I was one of two engineering students in a room of 20+ math majors. What a ride that was.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:02 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I've always looked to redefine the problem to something I could deal with i.e. what do I really need to accomplish here. That is one thing about the real world I like. But I really do respect the pure math types that can go directly at the tough problems and solve them.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:11 PM   #31

Happy Pi Day

Wow - I used pi almost every day of my working life and had no idea that there was a pi day. I guess it's not that big of a deal anymore - pi is buried in computer programs and calculator functions to the point where people don't need to know the numerical value anymore.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:18 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

If you are on the East Coast it's now (12:18am EST) the Ides of March, no more pi day.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:31 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Pi Day

At SXSW in Austin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tumblr_n2effdJWFr1tuxxlxo1_1280.jpg (231.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 03-15-2014, 09:29 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Wow! Eating this yesterday was a real challenge!

How To Successfully Bake A Cherpumple Cake In Honor Of Pi Day – Consumerist
Old 03-14-2015, 10:08 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

And today we celebrate another Happy Pi Day!!

If one uses the American system of dates 3.1415

And if one watches the clock 3.1415926 at 9:26 AM
Old 03-15-2015, 11:37 PM   #36
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Next year will be IMHO just as much of a special "PI" day as this year because 3.1415926 will easily round to 3.1416.

Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote