Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Meadbh

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Last edited:
I must be getting old. Most of my friends are going out partying tonight and i'm staying home to rest up for my long weekend at work.

I was in Ireland last weekend. I spoke to a few people about Paddy's Day and the general conclusion, among middle-class people anyway, is that it's a great time to be out of the country. Apparently domestic violence figures spike considerably and the gutters of downtown Dublin tend to be full of urine and vomit.

Thanks Mead, that was cute!

I took a bouquet of daffodils in a vase with a green ribbon tied around it to my aunt today when I visited her in her foster home. She liked them. :)

Happy St Patrick's Day to you. I was born on St Patrick's Day, have a little bit of Irish in me and my favorite color is green, so I really like St Patrick's Day. I would really love to go to Ireland someday, but based on BigNick's comment, I would go sometime other than St Patrick's Day.

If I am really in the mood I'll get out my copy of The Commitments for St Pat's, but this evening I went with Age of Innocence. At least Daniel Day Lewis has dual English-Irish citzenship, so I didn't wash out completely.

Ha

Today is my DH's birthday. He plans to retire at 60 and was grinning and telling his sister "only 3 more years!" She busted his bubble by reminding him that he is 56 today...not 57. :uglystupid:

DW and I got a new GD today, well the 17th. I had to look long and hard for something orange to wear to greet her.:D

Thanks, Moemg. I am not named Patty or Erin either, but I do like the name Erin.

SarahW, tell your DH not to be in too much of a hurry. Time goes by so quickly. It seems like yesterday that I was in my 20's and in the blink of an eye, I am now 58. Enjoy today.

We are no Irish, but we always have corned beef for the occasion. Missed it yesterday, so we are having it for dinner today.

An Irish person I worked with told me that it was not a big festival in Ireland. I can't remember now where in Ireland she came from. Besides, it is Lent, so any observant Catholic will not be out partying.

I grew up in Ireland. It is the national holiday, just as July 4 is the national holiday in the US and July 1 in Canada. It is always a school holiday. There are parades in most cities and towns. Certainly, when I was a kid, these parades had nothing on the one in New York. I recall that people would abstain from their vices during Lent except for St. Patrick's day. In recent years, the holiday has become more commercialized and renamed as St. Patrick's festival, and there are events during the entire week. There's even an app for that!

http://www.stpatricksfestival.ie/index.php/home

Back
Top Bottom