Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-27-2008, 04:47 AM   #21

We're having a "lite" Thanksgiving this year. Since there's just the two of us we put a chicken in the crock pot and plan on some rice, potatoes, veggies and that's about it. Then I go to work at 5:00 pm for four hours, that was the trade-off for getting the last five days off.

On the plus side, and this is huge for us, is that we are DONE with the work on FIL's house that has been going on since last April. We spent the last five days painting the kitchen, installing new closet doors, all new outlets and switches in the kitchen, trim done in white enamel, and had all new windows installed in the house. It's been a part-time job since then, not a week went by that we weren't over there doing something with the house. When one SIL gets the remaining bathroom done it goes on the market. It'll be interesting to see how that pans out.

My two sisters moved to DE so it just wasn't practical this year to go see them, and one SIL took the FIL to SC to get him out from underfoot while the work was going on. Gotta love it when a plan comes together!

So we're going to enjoy having a quiet time at home, satisfied with a job well done.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2008, 10:26 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congrats to you Walt! Now, you just have a few more weeks until motorcycle time.....

Old 11-27-2008, 05:41 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Well Thanksgiving has gone from 5-6 to 3. The 20 lb bird I am cooking is definitely overkill. Glad my sister, her hubby and I all love Turkey.

Happy TD to all the forumites.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:49 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Mmmmmm, mmmmmm, gooood!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 06:53 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

we are stuffed, and beyond stuffed. and stuffed some more. all i ate before dinner was a yogurt.
there are now ziploc bags full of turkey in the freezer and some nicely sliced white meat in the frig for covered turkey sandwiches tomorrow.
hint - if you have sliced turkey breast, wrap each portion in plastic wrap individually and place in a ziploc. for dark meat, use a ziploc and just enough gravy to cover the meat. it will not get freezer burned. stuffing goes into sandwich ziplocs by single portion size. i use these baggies all year for a quick and dirty meal.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:07 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
we are stuffed, and beyond stuffed. and stuffed some more. all i ate before dinner was a yogurt.
there are now ziploc bags full of turkey in the freezer and some nicely sliced white meat in the frig for covered turkey sandwiches tomorrow.
hint - if you have sliced turkey breast, wrap each portion in plastic wrap individually and place in a ziploc. for dark meat, use a ziploc and just enough gravy to cover the meat. it will not get freezer burned. stuffing goes into sandwich ziplocs by single portion size. i use these baggies all year for a quick and dirty meal.
Same here....only no pre-dinner yogurt....had a salami sandwich for an early lunch. We did a 10# bird for the 2 of us....waaaay too much food! We're keeping out enough of everything for another meal (probably Saturday), and all the rest is now in the freezer for around Christmas or New Year's Eve....super-easy big dinner!

We were joking that next year we're doing frozen dinners popped in the microwave!

Uh-oh....I hear noise in the kitchen! Must be almost pumpkin pie time!!!
Old 11-27-2008, 07:10 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Uh-oh....I hear noise in the kitchen! Must be almost pumpkin pie time!!!
WAAAAAAAAYYYYYY ahead of ya - already had my pumpkin pie. but darnit, you made me think about maybe a tiny little sliver for seconds. somebody duct tape me to the chair!
Old 11-27-2008, 07:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
WAAAAAAAAYYYYYY ahead of ya - already had my pumpkin pie. but darnit, you made me think about maybe a tiny little sliver for seconds. somebody duct tape me to the chair!
We each had a slice for breakfast....old family tradition....but didn't have any at dinner time. We sat down after dinner, to 'digest', and took the 'Triptophan Express' to La-La Land! The train returned to the station after about 2 hours...just in time to meet the 'Pumpkin Special' arriving on Track 1.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:16 AM   #29

turkeyday images

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:24 AM   #30

Looks good, Lazy!!! Makin' me hungry again!
Old 11-28-2008, 09:29 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I will never be hungry again...

Twenty-ish people at my sister's, with enough food for an army, as my mom would say. Afterwards, the guys watched football (ho hum), and drank, while the gals planned their Black Friday assaults (ho-ho-ho-hum), and drank...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:54 AM   #32

i'm with hf on that one. hungry again? oy! i still haven't eaten yet this morning & probably won't eat again until i go out with some visiting cousins tonight. i've always loved thanksgiving but once a year such abundance is plenty.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 02:41 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Lazy, reminds me I forgot to put the olives out. Of well, they'll go well with a sandwich today.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:54 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Lazy, I really love your pictures! How cool to have Thanksgiving dinner by the pool. Guess that's one of the perks of living in a warmer climate.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:02 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Happy Thanksgiving to everybody ! We were away in Washington,DC for the holiday so no cooking for me but also no leftovers which is my favorite part .
Old 11-29-2008, 12:37 PM   #36

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I was busy cooking and cleaning. We had a 19 lb turkey, mashed potatos and gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce, cranberry salad, sweet potato casserole, deviled eggs, green beans, corn, rolls, pumpkin pie and cool whip and cheese ball and crackers for before and after. There was 6 adults that ate. My almost 5 month old granddaughter drank her bottle. I have a small bag of turkey in the freezer, my son-in-law took some turkey back home with him and I am using the rest tonight in a Turkey Vegetable Soup. I cut back on the quantity of food this year and it is almost gone.