Join Early Retirement Today

Happy Thoughts!
Old 07-29-2007, 05:00 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Happy Thoughts!

I spend most of my weekends w/ my parents, they like to play/watch the kiddos, i get a little break and relax. Well, I have noticed how much those two complain about each other, then I noticed how my mind naturally finds things wrong (w/ situations, people, friends)...and I want to re-wire my brain to see the positive more/and first.

So on that note, thought it would be nice to hear what makes others happy. Something brighten your day? Let's make a little happy oasis here... perhaps someone will share something that made them happy and as a happy result, you will notice it the next time in your life...

mine for the day: my toddler learned how to say "happy" and has been saying it several times a day in her slow, careful way...i realized it was a consequence of happy feet (she will also do the dance, which increases the cute/happy factor)...and that makes me smile...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2007, 05:46 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Lots of things make me happy however, I am working on not letting other people make me unhappy. That helps.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:04 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

We bought Hellogoobye's newest CD and have been dancing around the house.

I also bought the dog some $1 dog toys at Target and he and I have been playing with them.
Webzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 06:19 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Gabe said his name for the first time today. Up until now he's just been "ME!", and i'm happy about that!

Every time the barney "I love you" song comes on, I get a hug and a kiss. Which somewhat offsets the horror of watching barney.

Toddlers seem to create a heck of a lot of happy moments...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 06:47 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

My daughter sent me the picture from her ultrasound just looking at my future grandbaby makes me extremly happy !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 07:57 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I'm always happy after I go to the gym. That's not a thought process, but for me the condition of being happy results from both physical and mental input.

Time to unwind alone helps, too.

As for thought processes, thinking about ER, planning for it, and looking forward to it helps.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 08:17 PM   #7

congrats moemg! and gabe too...
Old 07-29-2007, 08:46 PM   #8

Fishing.

Simple as that. I can be at ease, but it's still man vs. wild, so I can feel like I outsmarted Mr. fish if he lands on my hook. The challenge and the reward. But, even if I don't catch much, my defense mechanism can say "that's why they call it fishin' ".

-CC
Old 07-29-2007, 09:32 PM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Enjoying silence and solitude.
The cat in my lap.
Watching the birds and squirrels.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:39 PM   #10

Watching Romeo and Casanova (my cats) taking a nap together curled up on the bed.
Watching them run around chasing each other and their tails.
Looking at a blank canvas and thinking of the possibilities.
Sitting in the dark with some candles lit and some sandalwood incense...watching the flames flicker and dance.
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:10 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

We have this super sweet little old lady, pushing 90 years old that eats in our store 2-3 times per week. No matter how bad a day we are having, or how mean the general public is being that day, seeing that sweet little face always just makes our day. She just lights up the place when she comes in
Bigritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:21 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
I spend most of my weekends w/ my parents, they like to play/watch the kiddos, i get a little break and relax. Well, I have noticed how much those two complain about each other, then I noticed how my mind naturally finds things wrong (w/ situations, people, friends)...and I want to re-wire my brain to see the positive more/and first.
Boy, did that paragraph bring on a flashback. There's something wrong with a person who's only energized & vibrant when they're stridently bitching forcefully expostulating at you on something that you have a very hard time getting excited about. We're gonna have to introduce your parents to my parents-in-law so that everyone can complain happily ever after.

When our kid was in elementary school she had no end of things to complain about. (It's her way of discharging all that adolescent energy.) At bedtime we used to make her tell us about three good things that happened today or else we'd hardly get any sleep that night. Now she comes home to deliver the "Bad news, good news" routine.

When I'm getting grouchy it's time to go surfing. Luckily I do it often enough to mostly avoid getting grouchy...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Boy, did that paragraph bring on a flashback. There's something wrong with a person who's only energized & vibrant when they're stridently bitching forcefully expostulating at you on something that you have a very hard time getting excited about. We're gonna have to introduce your parents to my parents-in-law so that everyone can complain happily ever after.

When our kid was in elementary school she had no end of things to complain about. (It's her way of discharging all that adolescent energy.) At bedtime we used to make her tell us about three good things that happened today or else we'd hardly get any sleep that night. Now she comes home to deliver the "Bad news, good news" routine.

When I'm getting grouchy it's time to go surfing. Luckily I do it often enough to mostly avoid getting grouchy...
my mom
:confused: my dad

sometimes i tell them - like if we're sitting down for a meal that if they can't say anything positive, they can't talk - it's usually a quiet meal.

but also - it's constant! and around me and the kids - i don't want my kids to have the same wiring as me...

but i have to say - in keeping the positive note - they are wonderful grandparents to the kids and support the heck out of me and i am grateful for that...
Old 07-30-2007, 02:22 AM   #14

I have found this blog very helpful to change my mood and to learn feeling happy more often:
The Happiness Project
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:49 AM   #15

I too come from a family that has a complaint about everything and everyone.

I find myself constantly trying to rewire the connections - especially when there are a host of those daily annoyances going wrong (like today - bank canceled debit card for some reason, sewer pump needs to be replaced ASAP!). Just this morning, I was reiterating the mantra: "positive thoughts only!"

As for what makes me happy: a good workout always leaves a lingering good feeling, but otherwise: a walk in the woods, curled up with a good book and a cup of tea if the weather is bad/cold, laughing with my family, walking the dog and watching her run with glee at simply being able to run, and other similar simple pleasures. Also, having new experiences, working in the garden, getting my projects done.

The key is being able to do these things at a leisurely pace, rather than the usual hurry, quick, gotta get is done because I've got 12 other things to do in the next hour.

Hey, wait, that sounds a lot like my ER list
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:02 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Crossing off another week in anticipation of the end of the year (tentative retirement date).
Old 07-30-2007, 01:59 PM   #17

I enjoy watching people at festivals (balloons, beer, crawfish, wine, crab, music, etc...) Families out to have fun, young people, kids playing with bubbles, older folks holding hands, all ages hanging out, dancing, and eating....Americana at its finest.

The majority of attendees are there to enjoy life....simply heartwarming!
Old 07-30-2007, 02:12 PM   #18

I'm just a happy kind of person I guess.....not too much gets me down or unhappy! My feet hitting the floor in the morning makes me REALLY happy!!! If I want an extra dose of "happy", I go out in the gardens and enjoy the flowers, bees, butterflies, birds, and whatever else happens along. Last night I sat out there until there quite late, and gazed at the stars....and the airplanes flying over....or was it UFOs?!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:42 PM   #19

Doing anything with the family. Sitting in MCI with DD on our way to Colorado Springs. 1 day work and 3 days play (Pikes Peak, rafting trip, downtown conerts). Boarding calls, gots to go
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:02 AM   #20

Just got back from excellent mini vacation in san diego...shamu, pool and the beach - just what the doc ordered!

Something that was quite a good bonus and fostered some happiness? the "hospitality" beer at sea world! hehe happy kids, happy parents... ha