Join Early Retirement Today

Happy Valentine's Day
Old 02-13-2004, 09:06 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Happy Valentine's Day

If you're married, have kids, or are simply in love, I think you'll be touched by these words.....

Several lines of evidence support a role for oxytocin and vasopressin in complex social behaviors, including parental care, sex behavior, and aggression. Recent studies in a monogamous mammal, the prairie vole, suggest an additional role for both peptides in the formation of pair bonds. Central administration of oxytocin facilitates and administration of an oxytocin antagonist inhibits partner preference formation in female prairie voles. Conversely, vasopressin facilitates and a V1a receptor antagonist inhibits pair bonding in males. A potential cellular basis for these effects is the species-specific pattern of expression of oxytocin and V1a receptor in reward pathways of the prairie vole brain. At a molecular level, comparative sequencing of the oxytocin and V1a receptors reveals species differences in the promoter sequences that may guide regional expression in the brain. Transgenic mice created with the 5' flanking region of the prairie vole oxytocin receptor gene demonstrate that sequencing in this region influence the pattern of expression within the brain. The unique promoter sequences of the prairie vole OTR and V1a receptor genes and the resulting species-specific pattern of regional expression provide a potential molecular mechanism for the evolution of pair bonding behaviors and a cellular basis for monogamy.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Happy Valentine's Day
Old 02-14-2004, 03:55 AM   #2
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

I was certainly touched!

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 07:52 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The modern version of candy is dandy but liquor is quicker?

Anywise - I'm glad it wasn't just the calander and my undergrad Chem. degree that impelled todays flowers, candy and opal pendant.

Glad to know the chemicals in my brain still work on the right genes/receptors.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 08:44 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks a lot Wab, I had to go take a cold shower first thing in the morning after that.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote