Join Early Retirement Today

Harriet Christian ~ New McCain Supporter
Old 05-31-2008, 06:55 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Harriet Christian ~ New McCain Supporter

This 2 minute rant by a very irate Hillary supporter could be a harbinger for things to come in the Dem party.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2008, 08:04 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

She seems a little grumpy.

It's a sad thing, but if (against good advice) BHO were to name Hillary his running mate and he were to win the election, the Secret Service would need to hire more agents. There would be the KKK/skinhead whackos, then there would be the NOW/etc crowd (like this lady). Then there's Bill.

I wonder if it's possible to make money with a stock play on plexiglass?
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 05:58 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Despite her whackiness - I wonder if she may be right to a degree.

How many Hillary fans are so embittered that they just might find McCain a more palatable alternative to Obama?

I think Florida will be McCain's for the taking. Don't know that much about Michigan.

Were I a Democratic Party official I don't know if I wouldn't be pushing for the party to move to a closed "Primary" system before 2012 with no "superdelegates".
Old 06-01-2008, 09:39 AM   #4

I find it disturbing that they wont count them all. I wouldn't doubt a few Hillary supporters vote for McCain or abstain because they are ticked off.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:23 AM   #5
Administrator

Old 06-01-2008, 10:36 AM   #6

And Democrats wonder why Bush got elected 2 times
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:50 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

She seems to me like someone who is having a nervous breakdown, and was unfortunate enough to come unglued and totally "lose it" while the cameras were rolling. While I think her rant seems to be partially the result of emotional instability, I also think that Clinton supporters are completely justified in concluding that the DNC is treating their candidate unfairly. I also think Obama supporters would be justified in feeling that their candidate is being patronized, and that he can and should win on his own and not be treated as though he couldn't. After all, he IS the leading Democratic candidate and probably would be even if Florida and Michigan are counted, from what I understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
I find it disturbing that they wont count them all. I wouldn't doubt a few Hillary supporters vote for McCain or abstain because they are ticked off.
I wouldn't doubt it either. As a disaffected Republican who is not happy with John McCain and was hoping for some choice, I am horrified with the way the DNC is splintering and destroying their own party and any chances for either Democrat to win this election. All McCain has to do is sit back and smile while the Democrats self-destruct.

What Democrats are doing just isn't in the spirit of fair Democratic voting practices. They can't just cancel out the votes of citizens in these states. We might as well be living in a tyranny if votes don't count.

I have been thinking that maybe the best approach would be for the DNC to punish the Florida and Michigan Democratic party leaders, but not punish the voters. Maybe that could be done by fully counting Florida's and Michigan's votes, but to require that these be provided in absentia and that all or most of their delegates would not be allowed to attend the convention. After all, being a delegate to the national convention is a big deal for some people.

Then in the long run, I think the U.S. should maybe consider an open primary like we have in Louisiana when voting for state positions like Governor. Here, all candidates run and that means several with each party affiliation. Even though I'm registered Republican, I can vote for a Democrat or any candidate I want to vote for in the primary. If none win 50% or more, then the top two have a run-off and everyone can vote in the run-off, too. If the run-off is between two Democrats or between two Republicans, then so be it. This system seems a whole lot more fair and seems to give more power to the voters.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:04 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

She looks like a problemed child.
It does point out what you have to do if you want to get covered by the press.
Reserved, considered by reasonable people do not get attention.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:05 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What Democrats are doing just isn't in the spirit of fair Democratic voting practices. They can't just cancel out the votes of citizens in these states.
Yea, you have a point there W2R. Seems like the party that proclaims that "every vote needs to be counted" has morphed into the party that proclaims that every vote is really only 1/2 a vote. A disturbing trend that would be very interesting if tried in the general election.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Old 06-01-2008, 11:10 AM   #10
Administrator

Old 06-01-2008, 11:10 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Yea, you have a point there W2R. Seems like the party that proclaims that "every vote needs to be counted" has morphed into the party that proclaims that every vote is really only 1/2 a vote. A disturbing trend that would be very interesting if tried in the general election.
Also, I don't really understand how they can assume that any vote not for Hillary is for Obama in Michigan, just because he wasn't on the ballot. What a mess. Maybe the DNC should penalize the Florida and Michigan Democratic parties by requiring that THEY pay for a new primary in their states.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:20 AM   #12
Administrator

Old 06-01-2008, 11:29 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The Rules Committee was more than generous to both Clinton and the two states.
Are you implying that they short-changed Sen Obama?

Old 06-01-2008, 11:52 AM   #14
Administrator

Old 06-01-2008, 12:40 PM   #15

Those states flouted the rules and the angry voters should take it up with the local apparatchiks.

I voted in the Democratic primary from abroad. Strangely OUR votes only count as 1/2 votes also!! Not really pleased with that, myself, but that was the way it was set up from the outset. So these 'rogue' states should not really be complaining..

I think what would be fair is to create several batches of primaries, either by random selection or by region, and have these 'batches' cycle through 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, Nth so that all states eventually get to be first/last over several election cycles. I don't know why the primacy of NH is so all-important.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote