Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-13-2015, 11:01 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Taking acid does not result in sensory deprivation! Or so I've heard...
No, from Lilly's account it was the other way around -- sensory deprivation could lead to psychedelic experiences.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2015, 07:50 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
No, from Lilly's account it was the other way around -- sensory deprivation could lead to psychedelic experiences.
Yes, agreed, as I understand it. Free from outside stimulation, the brain starts "tripping"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:58 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Try it and let us know your experience.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:57 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a friend who loves it! He goes for 90 minutes every week.
He recommended it to his father who hated it and left before the first session was even over.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 06:54 AM   #25

#powerful float tank

Joe Rogan almost single handingly exposed everyone to sensory deprivation tanks. Theyve been around for a while but didnt become popular until the last decade.

My friend did it...he wasnt stoned at the time but he did say its pretty bizarre. Takes a little time to get comfortable with it but once you are there is a feeling of your body being suspended in air. Since the water temp is the same as your skin temp theres no distinction that water is even touching your skin.

He said he felt super relaxed when his session was over.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 07:22 AM   #26

Nope. No way.

Quote:
Red Chinese agent Wo Fat uses a sensory deprivation chamber to procure information from U.S. agents. McGarrett, head of Hawaii's state police force, poses as "control," possessor of the names of other agents. He allows himself to be captured and placed in the chamber; will he be able to withstand the torture?

reference: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063046/
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:43 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgal View Post
I think a lot of us worked in what amounted to a sensory deprivation tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
It is interesting how many seconded this. +1

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 12-17-2015, 11:20 PM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado

I actually looked into buying a couple of these and starting a business here in my local area with these! My area is going through a whole eco and "enlightenment" phase where everyone seems to be trying to get more in tune with themselves or their bodies. I'm not totally sold on the lifestyle or the idea of it but if people are paying good money to undertake in the activity then it could be a great idea.

I ended up shying away though due to my feelings that this may be one of the fads or thing of the year. I would have hated to lease a building and buy the float tanks then the whole movement lose pace. I could only imagine owning a couple big saltwater tanks that i have to explain to my future children what I was thinking while they question me on my sanity and ask why I would think people would want to be locked in the dark... Haha

Personally, I think it would be an interesting experience and something to at least try once. I could imagine it would be tough on someone who is claustrophobic or something of that nature. Either way, give it a shot!

Joe Rogan's interview where he speaks about their use is a bit extreme for me but interesting none the less!
Blaineatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 05:23 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In the 80s float tank places in LA were cheap and easy to find. Now they are hard to come by, much nicer and more expensive. One suggestion I think is important is to try it two or three times (unless you absolutely can't stand the first experience). The old places would not play music or training tapes (bring your own) until I had done three floats. You get to hear you heart clearer than with a stethoscope, breathing, even eye blinks. You can really unwind the body and that can open the mind as well. Just try it a few times, what have you got to lose? And then you will have a new topic for discussion at parties. I liked it a hell of a lot more than sky diving.