Join Early Retirement Today

Has anyone experienced a sensory deprivation tank?
Old 12-12-2015, 10:03 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Has anyone experienced a sensory deprivation tank?

There's a business nearby that offers this. Having done some deep relaxation exercises, for $50 an hour I'm thinking of giving it a try.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2015, 11:27 AM   #2

I guess I'm still mentally scarred by that old "Altered States" movie and tales of John Lilly communicating with space aliens. Just stay off the Ketamine and you should be fine, I guess.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 12:59 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think a lot of us worked in what amounted to a sensory deprivation tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 01:17 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgal View Post

I spent too much time in too many data centers that were that way. No clue what time or day it might be. Strange people and stranger rules.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 03:36 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yup...I spent over seven years in Riyadh.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 03:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
There's a business nearby that offers this. Having done some deep relaxation exercises, for $50 an hour I'm thinking of giving it a try.
No way. Didn't you ever see that episode of Twilight Zone "Where is Everybody"? It'll drive you insane.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:55 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A facility near us is offering a deal on GroupOn we've been looking at. Also thinking of giving it a try.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:58 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Not me, lived that way for over forty years and am going to stay retired.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 03:59 PM   #9

John Lily and LSD .. I would like to try it, because sense deprivation can increase your sense perception beyond the physical states. You may experience extra-sensory perception on the astral level and contact other beings. I've have psychic experiences and clairvoyance visions in the past. I'm going back to opening my third eye once I retire. I closed it since it can be a distraction, especially if you see headless ghost floating around.

Old 12-12-2015, 04:05 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Oh, yeah. I once worked on a massive, immersive software/hardware project, the sort of thing where one starts dreaming in code and running simulations in ones head. Induced number-form and grapheme-color synesthesia were the fun results.

I'm better now. I retired.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 04:33 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I want to do it! If you go, let us know how it is. I've looked at the place nearest to me, but too chicken to pull the trigger. It sounds way cool!!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:34 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
I guess I'm still mentally scarred by that old "Altered States" movie a ....
Hah! That movie is the first thing I thought of! One of my all-time favorite movies, but I'm certain most people would hate it. I was just in the right frame of mind (that might mean 'stoned' to some, but no, I saw it straight/sober) at the time, and it just struck me a certain way.

There was just something about getting totally in touch with your primal being that I though the movie portrayed pretty well. Also scared the stuff out of me - I can't imagine tripping on mushrooms, let alone combining that with a sensory deprivation tank.

So if anyone is interested, see if you can find the movie on Netflix or somewhere - but don't blame me if you hate it, you probably will! You've been warned!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I spent too much time in too many data centers that were that way. No clue what time or day it might be. Strange people and stranger rules.
My career was on the opposite end of the spectrum, stuff going on all around me. So after retiring I started looking into yoga and meditation. I probably should have done it 20 years earlier -- it would have taken a bite out of my liquor bills back then.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:33 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My career was on the opposite end of the spectrum, stuff going on all around me. So after retiring I started looking into yoga and meditation. I probably should have done it 20 years earlier -- it would have taken a bite out of my liquor bills back then.
Actually I like the notion. Please post your experience if you decide to check it out.

We're enjoying the new found benefits of healthy diet and exercise, wish we'd done it years earlier. Amazing how many illnesses we don't have anymore.

I'm probably at the point where meditation might be an interesting venture. I am pretty sure I wouldn't have gotten much out of it before as I was wound much too tightly.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:30 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

If I understand correctly this is what is also called a float tank. They come into and out of popularity from time to time. I first used one in the 70s. They are fun, though I came to wonder just how good the filtration and cleanliness were, mostly from stories a woman friend told me.

Ha
Old 12-13-2015, 06:05 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Can't you just pop some LSD and skip the tank?
Old 12-13-2015, 08:48 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Taking acid does not result in sensory deprivation! Or so I've heard...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:47 AM   #18

Floated a bit in the 80s. Tried it again last year. Two target customers, the 'explorers' and jocks in physical training looking for deep muscle relaxation. It's amazing when I hear a noise and figure out its my eyelashes. And my body would unwind and relax muscles I didn't know were tense.
Try it, you need to go two or three times to get past the initial boardom .

Old 12-13-2015, 09:58 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Have done it several times and would welcome the opportunity to do it again. If you have a meditation practice, or want to jump-start one, it's especially ideal. You're floating in only a few inches of water (with hundreds of pounds of Epsom salts in it) at body temperature in total darkness, so there's a sense of your body just "dropping away" which makes it easy to focus on mental activities. That's why elite athletes often watch videos while in these tanks to train in techniques for their disciplines, but inventor John Lilly (yes, he of "Altered States") intended them as a tool for inner exploration.

Lilly did indeed drop LSD inside said tanks, but not recommended unless you have his background and training (and probably not even then). A wiser idea is to float and then have a massage right afterwards. Your body will already be more relaxed than after a typical massage just from being in the tank.
kevink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:35 AM   #20

Thank you Kevink and yakers. The tanks are indeed filled with a high-salinity solution to increase buoyancy. I was thinking about trying it for the deep relaxation but I could also see where it could enhance visualization. Glad to hear your experiences were positive. I think I'll set up an appointment this week.