Join Early Retirement Today

Has anyone on this forum put a metal roof on their house?
Old 11-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Has anyone on this forum put a metal roof on their house?

After dealing with a mysterious leak on my 10 yr roof that was supposed to last 25 years, I have been looking into putting one of these on. They have been starting to pop up around town. I have talked to a few owners and they like them. The 50 year warranty intrigues me (but no one has had it that long to verify)along with the tax credit and savings on utilities and home insurance. I have found a well referenced person who installs them with quality products and I am surprised they are just as cheap as an asphalt shingle job is here ($6500 for complete job for a 1500 sq. ft home). Anybody like or regret their decision?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I don't have one but would big hail dent them like it would a car?

pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nor have I, but I'd be curious about the noise during a hard rain...
Old 11-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
Nor have I, but I'd be curious about the noise during a hard rain...
The people I have talked to do not notice the sound at all. They had theirs installed over the top of existing shingles, so that may allow enough buffering to occur to prevent the noise. I have read that the 24 gauge metal is very resistant to hail. Of course if it comes down in sizeable chunks I would think all bets are off. The cheap 29 gauge metal available at commercial hardware stores is very susceptible to hail storms from what I have read.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have used the thin, corrugated galvanized stuff on a cabin, and I think the rain noise is a little like fine music.

I would want to research whether your particular climate needs special treatment prior to actually applying the metal, and would definitely use a type without exposed fasteners.

In my neck of the woods, roofs are usually composition, which is about the best bang for the buck here at least. Any material can leak and cause trouble if not installed correctly or maintained, so beware any outrageous claims based on material.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #6
Administrator

I have never had a metal roof, and have two concerns about buying one.

(1) I live in hurricane country, and have heard that hurricane force winds can tear off the metal and create a formidable missile slamming into other parts of one's home or nearby homes during a hurricane. Don't know if this is true or not.

(2) According to this link, the average time living in a particular home is 13 years. I have already lived in my home for 11+ years, so a 50-year roof seems like overkill to me. Also, if I am still alive in 50 years I would be 115 years old....

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
I have used the thin, corrugated galvanized stuff on a cabin, and I think the rain noise is a little like fine music.
I agree.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I've seen some of the standing seam metal roofs around here, and while they seem very practical, I've never cared for the look. Too industrial and stark for my liking.

Then I saw the ones in this link:

http://www.metalroofing.com/

I like the alternative ones, tile, 'natural', shake, slate, etc. I don't know if those are more expensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

(2) According to this link, the average time living in a particular home is 13 years. I have already lived in my home for 11+ years, so a 50-year roof seems like overkill to me. Also, if I am still alive in 50 years I would be 115 years old....
But it can add value when you sell. Buyers don't need to factor in a roof replacement in X years.

-ERD50
Old 11-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #9

We have metal roofs on our cabin and barns in Wi.

the cabin roof is very well insulated and you can't hear rain at all. The barns have no insulation and a minor rain sounds like it is really coming down.

When we build our house up there it will have a metal roof. We like the way they look,
Old 11-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
They had theirs installed over the top of existing shingles.
On my route, this is what I've seen - installation over existing shingles. One almost Kelly green , one bright blue and a brown. I'm not a big fan of the blue or green.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #11

Cabin..................

[/URL][/IMG]
Old 11-04-2013, 08:41 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I've seen some of the standing seam metal roofs around here, and while they seem very practical, I've never cared for the look. Too industrial and stark for my liking.
I have one of these on my former house. Had it about 10 years. Excellent roof in every sway. I loved the way snow just slid off. Every years with heavy snows a few people in my small community would get badly injured climbing up on the roof to shovel off snow and avoid collapse.

Regarding sound, I loved it. I grew up listening to hard Southern rains on a tin roof right outside my bedroom. Mine was installed after cedar shakes were pulled off, and plywood sheathing applied.

If you do it, I would consider running any chimney up the side of house, and having no piercings of the roof. You will never have a leak.

Ha
Old 11-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

We've got metal on part of the roof, and shingle on the majority. It looks great. The house is over 5 years old. When I go out the upstairs balcony and look down on the metal it looks brand new. Not even any significant dirt. I guess is washes off whenever it rains. We're on the coast, and there's a fair amount of salt in the air at times. No build up. Sadly, I can't really hear the rain or hail on it, but I used to love the sound at my grandmother's house many years ago.

Around here, after about 10 years the fungicide wears off of normal shingles, and mold starts to build up, creating black streaks. I doubt we'll get anything like that on the metal.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #14

Thats a great post about the snow sliding right off. Dose not take too much sun for the roof to be clear of snow.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I live in the Tx hill country. I inherited my folks house, they at lived there 16 years in 2002 and replaced the roof twice due to windstorms. I persuaded my father to put a metal roof on (cost about 2.5x a traditional roof). If you are willing to not have the insurance pay for dents (that don't leak) you can save 20% off the insurance due to the roof. Since the metal roof was put on, a storm came thru and all the neighbors had to put new roofs on but the metal roof just kept on chugging. With a 1% deductable (which is required in Tx) that started with a savings of 1/2 of the difference in 2002. then add the difference in insurance about $300 per year and over the 12 years the roof has just about paid for itself. It is a standing seam roof, and I do believe it also reduces the AC load in the summer.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:00 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
I live in the Tx hill country. I inherited my folks house, they at lived there 16 years in 2002 and replaced the roof twice due to windstorms. I persuaded my father to put a metal roof on (cost about 2.5x a traditional roof). If you are willing to not have the insurance pay for dents (that don't leak) you can save 20% off the roof. Since the metal roof was put on, a storm came thru and all the neighbors had to put new roofs on but the metal roof just kept on chugging. With a 1% deductable (which is required in Tx) that started with a savings of 1/2 of the difference in 2002. then add the difference in insurance about $300 per year and over the 12 years the roof has just about paid for itself. It is a standing seam roof, and I do believe it also reduces the AC load in the summer.
I hadn't checked on actual insurance savings, but I knew there was one. 20% yearly reduction would be almost $200 a year in savings for me. The standard answer I hear on utility savings is 20% summer, 10% winter. That could be $200-300 yearly savings also. Throw in the nearly $500 tax credit, it wouldn't take too many years for the savings to pay for the $6500 roof cost. Concerning a previous poster comment, my roof and most of my neighbors are 10 years old. We are all starting to have those black streaks now. I didn't know what that was until now.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:29 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I metal roof on this year. The look takes some getting used but I like it.
They are well insulated and the rain is either the same or more quiet than with my shingle roof. Another advantage is is super easy to attach PV panels to a metal roof, you can just use clips instead of drilling holes.

The cost was about 30% more than a good quality roof and perhaps 50% more than cheap roof.

I wasn't aware that tax credits were possibly available I'll have to check into that.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:44 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
After dealing with a mysterious leak on my 10 yr roof that was supposed to last 25 years, I have been looking into putting one of these on. They have been starting to pop up around town. I have talked to a few owners and they like them. The 50 year warranty intrigues me (but no one has had it that long to verify)along with the tax credit and savings on utilities and home insurance. I have found a well referenced person who installs them with quality products and I am surprised they are just as cheap as an asphalt shingle job is here ($6500 for complete job for a 1500 sq. ft home). Anybody like or regret their decision?
I have a similar problem with a 13 year old roof that was supposed to be a 35+ shingle that never sealed properly so the shingles lift and develops leaks that are difficult to find the origins.

I thought of a metal roof but we have some old and very peculiar roof situations with half the roof in Homosote (an insulation sheeting kind of like dense cardboard over an exposed beam ceiling) and the other 1X6 decking.

Our home is the same sq. ft. and $6500 sounds like a really good price. I have been quoted much higher prices. Can you give a little more detail on the type (standing seam, V, etc.), guage of metal, tear off shingles or instal over existing roof, use furring strips or lay directly on the shingles, Manufacturer, etc.?

Cheers!
Old 11-05-2013, 06:16 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Then I saw the ones in this link:

Residential Metal Roofing Resources | Metal Roofing Alliance | Metal Roofing Information

I like the alternative ones, tile, 'natural', shake, slate, etc. I don't know if those are more expensive?
That's good to know. We may be having to replace the roof in the distant future and I'd wondered if they made metal roofing that looked like asphalt shingles. The HOA covenants require an asphalt roof but since the HOA here is pretty reasonable they'd probably approve one of those if it maintained the same appearance.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #20

Does a metal roof affect cell service? MiFi service?

Kindest regards.