Join Early Retirement Today

Has the Lebron James frenzy taken over tv in other parts of the country?
Old 07-11-2014, 11:00 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Has the Lebron James frenzy taken over tv in other parts of the country?

I cant watch anything here in Cleveland without seeing Lebron ads, commercials, teasers and stories. ESPN is now discussing Lebron and Lebron only for the last 2 hours.

Is it like this everywhere else...or am I in a bubble here in OH?

Many of you know I was/am an avid Cavs fan and really lived and died with that team 6-7 years ago. I've been bitter ever since, but I do commend him for the way he handled this. I think this is the only way he could have secured himself a lifelong legacy....he's going to be a Cleveland legend regardless...but if he wins the hardware in OH this has to be one of the best sports stories ever

Go CAVS
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2014, 03:06 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

The only coverage I saw in the San Antonio paper was in the comic section where a cartoon showed Lebron weighing his Cavs team members, trying to figure out if he could carry them to the playoffs...

EDIT: This did show up today... Spurs seek new HVAC manager for AT&T center
Old 07-12-2014, 03:20 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I cared enough to glance at the article in SI. It's big enough for a short piece on NBC evening news, but seeing grown men cry with happiness was a bit much for me. He's not going to win on his own though it would be a good story if he does.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:01 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I thought the Spurs won the NBA.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:49 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

It was all Lebron on the tvs at the sports bar where we had lunch on Friday. Crazy.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:14 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Thank goodness for this news about ball players. It has added some interest and meaning to my pathetic, dull, worthless existence. Life is worth living again.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:34 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

One of the downsides of 24 hour sports stations is the need find something to fill that 24 hours with. Prepare to see the coverage last throughout the weekend.

The move makes sense. He doesn't have anymore to prove in terms of being a champion. Bringing a championship to Cleveland will be worth multiple times more to his legacy than additional championships anywhere else; and even if he doesn't he will get credit for trying.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:10 PM   #8

Hi thefed,

You know I'm just up the road from you in Cuyahoga Falls. Yes, the atmosphere is totally Lebroned for the past few days. I'm barely interested in sports (although I've been enjoying the Indians) so it all seems way out of perspective. But then, it's all good news and NE Ohio sure can use some good news.

I don't follow basketball but a few years ago I did ushering for Univ of Akron and some of that was for basketball games at the JAR (local name for James A Rhodes arena on U of A campus). The most exciting event for me that year was a Cleveland Cavaliers scrimmage game. It was right after Lebron had been on the summer Olympics team and Akron's mayor presented Lebron with the key to the city. His GF was there along with his Mom, who is almost as well known in these parts for her own escapades....

I was in the lower stands, just a few steps above the floor, so I had a great view and he was humble and grateful and really showed his love for his hometown. I didn't really know what a "scrimmage" was until I realized that there were Cavaliers playing on both sides, I recognized the really tall bald guy (Z) and the other one with the floppy hair.

Great game, plenty of points and lots if good showmanship and fun. Talking to folks in my section it sounded like the tickets were given to groups for sharing and appreciation. That's why it was in Akron.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:25 PM   #9

Best player I ever saw - Oscar Robertson.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:11 PM   #10
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
The only coverage I saw in the San Antonio paper was in the comic section where a cartoon showed Lebron weighing his Cavs team members, trying to figure out if he could carry them to the playoffs...

EDIT: This did show up today... Spurs seek new HVAC manager for AT&T center
They better turn up the AC at CAVs arena or the king might cramp up
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:07 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

It was the #1 lead story on Dianne Sawyer at 6:30 PM here in Boston and ran for about 5 minutes.

After that...let's see...they talked about the attackes in the Gaza Strip, the mess in Iraq, Bengazi...y'know, the less important stuff. So good that we have our priorities straight!
Old 07-13-2014, 09:00 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
I cant watch anything here in Cleveland without seeing Lebron ads, commercials, teasers and stories. ESPN is now discussing Lebron and Lebron only for the last 2 hours.

Is it like this everywhere else...or am I in a bubble here in OH?

Many of you know I was/am an avid Cavs fan and really lived and died with that team 6-7 years ago. I've been bitter ever since, but I do commend him for the way he handled this. I think this is the only way he could have secured himself a lifelong legacy....he's going to be a Cleveland legend regardless...but if he wins the hardware in OH this has to be one of the best sports stories ever

Go CAVS

Without question...If he can deliver just one title to Cleveland he will join the other 2 all time great sports legends in Cleveland...
Jim Brown and Johnny Manziel. Seriously though what a class act. His biggest crime in life is going on tv to say he is going to play basketball in Miami 4 years ago. Came right out of high school as a celebrity and has been nothing but a role model for success. I wish him well. I also agree, Fed, that even if he doesn't win one, his legacy is secure if he stays put.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:28 PM   #13

Yawn.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:07 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Le bron............ who
Old 07-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #15

What's a le bron?
Old 07-13-2014, 06:22 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
What's a le bron?

I think that's a new Cadellac model that's been in the news.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:01 AM   #17
Dryer sheet wannabe

Unless Lebron is personally mailing me a dividend from his earnings I couldn't care less.
bobafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:18 AM   #18
gone traveling

Hope he can steer clear of Justin Beiber, unlike Manziel.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:54 AM   #19

The Spurs won the NBA. Tim Duncan won another championship, his 5th. Why talk or care about Lebron?

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:02 AM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
What's a le bron?
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
I think that's a new Cadellac model that's been in the news.
You sure it isn't a Chrysler - the one with the 'fine Corinthian leather' interior?