Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Has there been any meaningful music since the 70's???
Old 01-06-2006, 12:34 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Nice avatar, Flipstress.
The photo came up for my 56% celebrity look-alike per the link that () posted.* I look nothing like him, but he was sexy, warn't he?

Don't know much about him (Econ degree, really?) but do like the Stones' music although they were not as popular as the Beatles were when and where I grew up.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2006, 01:27 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I second Talking Heads.. U2..

I think the "problem" lies in the fact that there isn't a monolithic media delivery system anymore. While everyone might concede that "The Pina Colada Song" isn't "great" music.. everyone (over 40) knows it.

The fragmentation of American pop culture means that a band with 1000 or 10,000 fans gets to have a CD or an MP3, and can hear podcasts and so forth tailored to their own tastes. Which is good, on the one hand...

On the other hand, there's no vast communality to it. The public-at-large is much less likely to be aware of the 'biggest' new hit in certain scenes, unlike 20-30 years ago...

The same thing is happening with news (everyone used to listen to Uncle Walter; now the stage is shared with the likes of* John Gibson.. brrrrrr..), the same thing is happening with movies (who actually goes to the theatre, what with DVDs, Net Flix, pay-per-view, etc.?)..

It's hard to say if there are or aren't any worthwhile new groups out there.. we used to be force-fed the stuff until it became a de facto hit. Now unless you make a big effort to tune in and sift through it all, you won't notice.

Old 01-06-2006, 01:27 PM   #23

Actually, there is an exception to my characterization of rock from the 1970s as being rock's "golden age"

http://www.i-mockery.com/shorts/starwars-xmas/
(please excuse the popups) -- make sure you scroll down the page a bit...
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 02:03 PM   #24

Mick Jagger attended the London School of Economics, one of the most, if not the most ,prestigious Institution in the world.

He is not stupid.

Bob Marley, definitly.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:01 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well...

Joe Walsh with James Gang, and his first couple of solo efforts were good; then he started doing whatever you wanna call it, tripe. Get a copy of James Gang Live.

Same for Mark Knopfler...

One word: Jazz. Saw Al DiMeola recently; that mofo can play a geetar.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 06:07 PM   #26
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm still trying to come up for air after hearing Rush, Kansas, and the Eagles in the same sentence as Pink Floyd.

Although I don't understand Icelandic, I listen almost exclusively to Sigur Ros nowdays.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:10 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Rush... nahhhhhhhhhh

Early Kansas and Eagles were good.

Not Floyd, though.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 10:42 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm a music lover. For Christmas, a friend gave me one of those tiny iPod Nano players that plays downloaded music from your computer or off the internet. So far, I have downloaded about 150 selected songs from my (and my friends' and relatives') collection of about 60 CDs, that are all stacked up here next to my computer.

It's a very diverse selection and includes almost everything from classical, rock & pop to new age, jazz, and easy listening. To me, it's all meaningful. But I do notice that a lot of the stuff I like is from the 1980's and prior to that. Artists like Sinatra, Streisand, Ronstadt, Abba, Eric Clapton, Gene Pitney, Eagles, Roy Orbison, The Doors, BeeGees, Mama & Papas, Santana, etc.. And more recent ones like Enya, k.d. Laing, Andrea Bocelli, Sarah McLachlan, etc.

But, in my opinion, I thought the Beatles were the greatest. I don't seem to get tired of hearing their music. Guess I am just showing my age, too.

Anyway, getting back to the Nano iPod - I brought it to my sister's on Christmas day. It is a 2 gig with flash memory and holds a maximum of 500 songs. My 17 year old nephew was there with an older model iPod (with a hard drive), and he had 1,593 (!) songs on his. I listened to some of the stuff he had, and I just couldn't get into it. It was all of this new stuff, and it didn't have any "meaning" to me at all. Although he did find one that he thought an "older" person would like, and I did (surprisingly).

An aside: One of the best performing stocks on the NASDAQ in 2005 was SNDK (Sandisk), which makes the flash memory for Nano Ipods and similar such consumer electronics. Wish I had bought it (Sandisk, not the iPod) at the beginning of the year.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:50 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
You guys are just getting old!* *
I have to agree. There has always been good music. There still is. It isn't always the music that is the greatest commercial success. Get out. Go to some night clubs. DW and I try to get out at least once a week. There is quite a bit of talent out there.