Has there been any meaningful music since the 70's???

I'm still trying to come up for air after hearing Rush, Kansas, and the Eagles in the same sentence as Pink Floyd.

Although I don't understand Icelandic, I listen almost exclusively to Sigur Ros nowdays.

Rush... nahhhhhhhhhh

Early Kansas and Eagles were good.

Not Floyd, though.

I'm a music lover. For Christmas, a friend gave me one of those tiny iPod Nano players that plays downloaded music from your computer or off the internet. So far, I have downloaded about 150 selected songs from my (and my friends' and relatives') collection of about 60 CDs, that are all stacked up here next to my computer.

It's a very diverse selection and includes almost everything from classical, rock & pop to new age, jazz, and easy listening. To me, it's all meaningful. But I do notice that a lot of the stuff I like is from the 1980's and prior to that. Artists like Sinatra, Streisand, Ronstadt, Abba, Eric Clapton, Gene Pitney, Eagles, Roy Orbison, The Doors, BeeGees, Mama & Papas, Santana, etc.. And more recent ones like Enya, k.d. Laing, Andrea Bocelli, Sarah McLachlan, etc.

But, in my opinion, I thought the Beatles were the greatest. I don't seem to get tired of hearing their music. Guess I am just showing my age, too.

Anyway, getting back to the Nano iPod - I brought it to my sister's on Christmas day. It is a 2 gig with flash memory and holds a maximum of 500 songs. My 17 year old nephew was there with an older model iPod (with a hard drive), and he had 1,593 (!) songs on his. I listened to some of the stuff he had, and I just couldn't get into it. It was all of this new stuff, and it didn't have any "meaning" to me at all. Although he did find one that he thought an "older" person would like, and I did (surprisingly).

An aside: One of the best performing stocks on the NASDAQ in 2005 was SNDK (Sandisk), which makes the flash memory for Nano Ipods and similar such consumer electronics. Wish I had bought it (Sandisk, not the iPod) at the beginning of the year.

justin said:
You guys are just getting old!   :D

I have to agree. There has always been good music. There still is. It isn't always the music that is the greatest commercial success. Get out. Go to some night clubs. DW and I try to get out at least once a week. There is quite a bit of talent out there. :)

Back
Top Bottom