Join Early Retirement Today

Hats
Old 07-15-2006, 08:15 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hats

http://hearthereeverywhere.blogspot....7/03/hats.html
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Hats
Old 07-15-2006, 08:31 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

DH (G**g doesnt want me to use his name) wears the baseball cap. Almost all the time. Even in the house.

I have taken to wearing scarves some days. Don't have to fix my hair.

I like hats. Would like a straw hat for the sun.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:40 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

One word about hats: Tilley.

I own four of them. I wear them all often. I love Tilley hats. Used to be you could only buy them in Canada, but now they are all over.

If you like a very high quality product, owners' manual with a sense of humor, and a high but not outrageous price, check them out.

My oldest one is about 20 yrs old. Washed a million times. Good as new, other than increasingly funky look.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 10:03 AM   #4

as she aged, mom took to wearing wide brimmed hats to keep the florida sun off her face.

i like hats but i still have a full head of thick curly hair (nya nya-gloating) and i don't like to get hat hair. if i sported a shaved head or had straight hair probably i'd wear one. in the 70s i was big into visors and sunglasses (rose colored of course).

what strikes me is all the older, especially, balding guys wearing baseball hats. hate to break it to ya but a hat is not hair and a hat turned backwards does not take off 30 years.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 10:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa

Great hats, but I mostly wear them for kayaking. Comfortable & durable.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:59 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Remember when a gentleman would remove his hat when entering a building?* Wearing a hat indoors was bad manners.* The elementary school principal would enforce this rule in the school entrance lobby every morning.* Those were the days when a detail of students would be assigned to lower and properly fold the US flag if it started to rain. That was before it became customary to desecrate the flag by dragging it through all sorts of weather on the antenna of an automobile.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1032.JPG (24.7 KB, 118 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb IMG_1032.JPG_thumb (31.2 KB, 0 views)
Non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 11:48 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'd fear a hat that came with an owners manual.

River rat hat for kayaking. Big straw sombrero for working in the yard in 100 degree weather. Straw hat for golfing that has gone blessedly unused since my dad finally figured out that i have absolutely no passion for the game. Which for some reason takes all the fun out of playing with me.

Some golfers just get steamed when you dont care that you lost your ball, hit it in the water or took 5 putts and still didnt sink it. What really makes them mad is just picking up your ball when you get near the green and putting it in your pocket and saying "give me a 12"...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 12:19 PM   #8

Quote:
That was before it became customary to desecrate the flag by dragging it through all sorts of weather on the antenna of an automobile.
..or by writing on it.

ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 12:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa

I own four of them. I wear them all often. I love Tilley hats. Used to be you could only buy them in Canada, but now they are all over.

If you like a very high quality product, owners' manual with a sense of humor, and a high but not outrageous price, check them out.

My oldest one is about 20 yrs old. Washed a million times. Good as new, other than increasingly funky look.
Thanks for the tip of the hat Rich

I'm going down to Gander Mountain this week and get one - good sun protection and their insured against loss, too!
Old 07-15-2006, 01:30 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
I'd fear a hat that came with an owners manual.
Yes, CFB, this is one fearsome hat. Be afraid, be very afraid of a Tilly .

You would enjoy the owners' manual. It is a tongue-in-cheek deal that's pretty funny to read. Next time you pass a hat shop or outfiitter store see if you can find one.

BTW, a Tilly might improve your gold score.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:05 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Holy cow...$70 for a hat?

I just paid $6.50 for a new hat at walmart... :P

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:06 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Yeah, and I'll bet you have to figure out on your own how to use it.

Old 07-15-2006, 02:10 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I did, but after the first incorrect try I got it right. Which isnt bad considering the number of options.

My sons been very helpful in these matters though. Everything is first tried out to see if its a hat by putting it on his head, then its tested to see if its a phone by putting it to his ear and saying "hello?".

Last week when I let him into the bathroom for a minute he put my wifes birth control pills on his head, then to his ear with the 'hello?'. I told him he better put those down before he suddenly ceased to exist...
Old 07-15-2006, 02:11 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If youda bought a Tilly to begin with, you wouldn't have needed a new hat. Value: $6.50

If you wouldn't have needed a new hat, you would have been spared a trip to Wally World: Value: Priceless

Buy a Tilly, or aren't you man enough?

Old 07-15-2006, 02:16 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

But this is only my third "walking hat" I've ever bought, so I've still got more than forty bucks in the "future hat purchase fund". My last two cost $2.99 and $3.99. I spent big bucks on this one.

Then theres those free Emigrant Direct hats.

I have to drive past the walmart to get to anything or anywhere else. Its at the end of the access road that leads to my subdivision. Although i will say that it seems that almost everything I've bought at wallyworld falls apart a lot quicker than stuff I've bought at other stores.

Perhaps I'm stepping into troubled waters here, but I didnt see anyone on the tilly site that looked particularly 'manly'....
Old 07-15-2006, 02:34 PM   #16

Was it Mark Twain that said - The hat makes the man - people without a good hat have little or no influence in society..
Quote:

Old 07-15-2006, 02:38 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Thats me!

So does expensive = good?

What about Men Without Hats?
Old 07-15-2006, 02:42 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Perhaps I'm stepping into troubled waters here, but I didnt see anyone on the tilly site that looked particularly 'manly'....
Like my wife said when she bought me my first pink dress shirt 10 years ago, "it takes a man to wear a pink shirt." One of these days, I'm gonna wear that sucker. Unless I retire first.

Here's the owners manual for the Tilley.

Old 07-15-2006, 02:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoTheMystic
Was it Mark Twain that said - The hat makes the man - people without a good hat have little or no influence in society..
Back long ago when there were a few independent entertainment entrepreneuers (i.e., pimps) that still wore the old "super-fly" style of clothing I had an occasion to have a discussion with one such attired flesh-peddler. His purple fuzzy hat was sitting on my dash with his personal belongings stuffed inside as he sat behind the cage in the backseat.

"Officer, I appreciate it if you wouldn't abuse my hat like that."

I thought I might be doing you a favor. This style is history man. How can you wear a hat like that?

"Officer, I can tell you are lacking any fashion sense. When you own a fine hat like that, you don't wear it, it wears you."
Old 07-15-2006, 02:58 PM   #20

Lots of hats in the Southwest. Archaeologists almost all have a broad brimmed straw hat. Cloth or felt is too hot and the hat needs to have some character -- dents and broken strands, maybe even a hole or two. If you showed up at an excavation with a Tilley, the other archaeologists would probably burry you and the hat in the backfill.

When DW and I go out dancing in the evenings I have a couple of felt Stetson's to choose from. Baseball hats just don't cut it in this sun.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote