Join Early Retirement Today

Have enough for 4% SWR
Old 04-06-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Have enough for 4% SWR

Hello All! Happy Easter to those who celebrate this holiday. And Happy Spring to everyone else!

I write to share some personal happy news. As of last month, I have accumulated a nest egg that would give me 4% SWR if I quit right now. I will work an additional 2 to 3 years to bring that down to 3% SWR before I ER. I do NOT include the value of home in portfolio, only what's at Vanguard and Fidelity, etc.

Also, I have paid off my mortgage (sent Wells Fargo a check for $41K) this month and have zero car payments. I charge everything on a credit card to earn miles or hotel stays, etc. but I pay the entire balance at the end of each month to avoid paying any interest. I have zero debt. Feeling pretty great! Just would like you all to be happy with me!
Retire2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #2
Confused about dryer sheets

Very happy for you and Happy Easter as well
noggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations!!!

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Congrats, that is one of life's real milestones! I take it you're under 65 (like man of us) based on your WR target. Happy Easter.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations! A wonderful accomplishment.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #6

Great job. It's a lot easier to go to work on Monday knowing your FI
Old 04-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Great job, can't wait till we're there.

Happy Easter!
Old 04-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations!!! Nice work.

You say you would have a 4% WR if you quit now and are hanging in there to reduce it.

In my case, my WR will decline later on when I start a pension and again later on when I start SS. So in your case it may be that you 4% WR will decline later on if you have other income streams coming on line. If so, you may be more comfortable than you think.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #9
Administrator

That is a great position to be in - congratulations, and Happy Easter
Old 04-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations! I am happy for you.

Have a great Easter.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:30 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire2014 View Post
I write to share some personal happy news. As of last month, I have accumulated a nest egg that would give me 4% SWR if I quit right now. I will work an additional 2 to 3 years to bring that down to 3% SWR before I ER. I do NOT include the value of home in portfolio, only what's at Vanguard and Fidelity, etc.
Congratulations!

Serious request: could you update this post quarterly to share your thoughts on "Just two to three more years" versus the level in your BS bucket?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:11 AM   #12
Dryer sheet wannabe

Congratulations!!!!
Hope to be in your place soon!
heikejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:01 AM   #13

My understanding is that the 4% is a fairly safe withdrawal rate and covers all of your expenses. If your house and car(s) are paid off, you are much safer right now than the rule of thumb 4% suggests. Why wait to get to 3%? I say pull the cord right now!
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:10 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Congrats, that is one of life's real milestones! I take it you're under 65 (like man of us) based on your WR target. Happy Easter.

Hi Midpack -- I am 51. I hope to get to 3% SWR by age 54.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:11 AM   #15
Administrator

Retire2014, congratulations on your achievement.

Reducing your WR from 4% to 3% means you need to increase your portfolio by 1/3 after inflation, which many would find challenging. Is this coming mostly from stepped up contributions or are you expecting oversized investment returns as well?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:13 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
My understanding is that the 4% is a fairly safe withdrawal rate and covers all of your expenses. If your house and car(s) are paid off, you are much safer right now than the rule of thumb 4% suggests. Why wait to get to 3%? I say pull the cord right now!
Hi Utrecht, I really like your way of thinking, especially on Sunday nights when setting the alarm for the Monday commute to w*rk. The only reason I want to go for 3% is because I will have to buy my own health insurance. I am not eligibe for any retiree health benefits. But on really bad days, I can remind myself that I can pull the plug at any time and will not be living out of a cardboard box. I do feel much "safer" after reading your comment. Thank you.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:18 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
You may be overlooking an important variable.

4% is the classic safe WR based on a 30 year retirement. At 65, 4% is indeed considered safe. At 55, most would consider 4% WR pretty aggressive, lower probability of success. Many consider a 3-3.3% WR indefinitely sustainable, IOW you could retire at almost any age unless the future is markedly worse (real returns) than the past...

Given the OPs age target, I'd say it would be wise to shoot for 3% or so. YMMV

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:21 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Retire2014, congratulations on your achievement.

Reducing your WR from 4% to 3% means you need to increase your portfolio by 1/3 after inflation, which many would find challenging. Is this coming mostly from stepped up contributions or are you expecting oversized investment returns as well?
Hi Michael,

You are correct with your math. That is what I've calculated as well. I need to increase my portfolio by a 1/3. I do not factor ANY investment returns in my calculation; the increase will come purely from savings. I have no mortgage and no car payment. I cook nutritious delicious meals at home for myself. My hobbies are inexpensive: yoga, and hiking w/ my dogs, and bicycling the many trails in and around Washington DC. Hence, I have a lot of money leftover each month to buy into more funds at Vanguard. I am assuming zero percent return from investments between now and 2014. That said, I also do not factor in any major market downturn between now and 2014 either. Thank you for your comment.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Is SS factored into your 4%? In other words, is the withdrawal your living costs minus SS or is it just your living costs?
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:28 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Congratulations!

Serious request: could you update this post quarterly to share your thoughts on "Just two to three more years" versus the level in your BS bucket?

Hi Nords,

Were you really being serious about quarterly update of thoughts on the "2 to 3 more years?" I would be happy to but 2 to 3 more years is such a long time that I worry I'd be a nuisance to Forum members if I provide update quarterly. I think there are many on this Forum who are living in the 2-to-3-more-years mode.