Join Early Retirement Today

Have spiders formed a Union?
Old 10-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Have spiders formed a Union?

I've been noticing a pattern in their appearance in my condo: first one, small; next one, slightly bigger; next one, a whole lot bigger; fourth one, gigantic.

I killed #3 this morning - so I'm expecting a wolf spider in my bed tonight.

This is the 3rd or 4th time I've noticed this pattern.

It's a truly scary world when spiders begin to organize against humans.

And what would that union be: ACLU (Association of Creepy Little Uglies) or UAW (United Arachnids of the World).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
Administrator

You do realize that the warmer the climate, the more spiders, right? If/when you might move south to the tropics, there may be a few more to deal with.

As I recall from many years ago, one knows that one has acclimated to Hawaii when awakening with a giant spider walking across your face doesn't bother you enough to do anything about it....

Edited to add:

Those organized spiders sound scary! Luckily the ones down here are just roving marauders, so far.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
I've been noticing a pattern in their appearance in my condo: first one, small; next one, slightly bigger; next one, a whole lot bigger; fourth one, gigantic.

I killed #3 this morning - so I'm expecting a wolf spider in my bed tonight.

This is the 3rd or 4th time I've noticed this pattern.

It's a truly scary world when spiders begin to organize against humans.

And what would that union be: ACLU (Association of Creepy Little Uglies) or UAW (United Arachnids of the World).
I remember a friend who talked about spider web patterns and spiders organizing against humans but he'd been smoking too much of the wacky tobacky.

Or, maybe it's this
Old 10-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Yuck!

Reminds me of the time I lived in Mexico and was recovering from a bout with typhoid fever. I was very weak but managed to make it down to my boyfriend's room and just crashed on his bed. When I woke up, there was a tarantula about 6 inches from my nose!!!

I ran out of the room and straight up several flights of stairs to my quarters - it was the fastest I'd moved in 2 weeks.

Turns out he had killed it and mounted it - I was just so tired when I got to his room that I missed seeing it sitting there on the bedside table.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting as I was just talking to my wife this morning that it seems we avoided the usual September spider invasion in the northwest this year. Now the weather patterns up here were odd this year so maybe it is just delayed, but normally by mid September we are buried in spiders for a couple of weeks. Then the majority disappear (I am assuming eaten by birds, etc) and we have just a few.

I don't mind spiders except those couple of weeks because they spin webs between your car and the adjacent bush, or the house and the walkway, and you are ALWAYS walking into them. Drives me crazy as for the next half hour I am sure I have some spider on me!

But as I said we seem to have avoided the whole infestation this year. My pest control guy did give my wife some good advice though--he mentioned to keep your porch lights off and if won't attract the spiders. It makes sense, the light attracts moths, etc and they are a draw to spiders as a food source.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

As long as they do not bite me, I prefer them to the bugs they help control.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:19 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
You do realize that the warmer the climate, the more spiders, right? If/when you might move south to the tropics, there may be a few more to deal with.

As I recall from many years ago, one knows that one has acclimated to Hawaii when awakening with a giant spider walking across your face doesn't bother you enough to do anything about it....

Edited to add:

Those organized spiders sound scary! Luckily the ones down here are just roving marauders, so far.

Also, the warmer the climate, the more it seems that the flora and fauna are out to get you. Look at Australia.

And I don't know that I'd ever acclimate enough to accept ANYTHING walking across my face.

Funny story: I have a friend who doesn't have a lot of common sense. He became enthralled with geckos when we were in Rarotonga and would entice them into his room at night by opening his window and letting all sorts of bugs in. He got lots of geckos..... and he also got lots of gecko droppings all over his clothes, his bedding, and himself. He said he thought it was raining in his room at one point, but it was just the mo'o (geckos) heeding the call of nature. After that night, the windows stayed shut.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Also, the warmer the climate, the more it seems that the flora and fauna are out to get you. Look at Australia.

And I don't know that I'd ever acclimate enough to accept ANYTHING walking across my face.

Funny story: I have a friend who doesn't have a lot of common sense. He became enthralled with geckos when we were in Rarotonga and would entice them into his room at night by opening his window and letting all sorts of bugs in. He got lots of geckos..... and he also got lots of gecko droppings all over his clothes, his bedding, and himself. He said he thought it was raining in his room at one point, but it was just the mo'o (geckos) heeding the call of nature. After that night, the windows stayed shut.
Hilarious!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Funny story: I have a friend who doesn't have a lot of common sense. He became enthralled with geckos
I used to laugh in Saudi every time our cat, (who spent a lot of time hunting geckos but never seemed to catch onto their escape technique), would pounce on a gecko........the gecko's tail would separate from the body and the cat would, with front legs spread apart, have the severed tail under one paw and the rest of the lizard under the other................the nerves in the tail would then cause it to twitch and the cat would abandon the gecko and cover the tail with both paws.

At this point the gecko would depart.

The cat never wised up.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Every fall, crickets and beetles invade our basement, to be followed by an armada of large spiders.

The spiders always win Although the spideys are not exactly pretty, I'm on their side...crickets and beetles eat paper, fabric, and who knows what else; spiders only eat bugs!

Amethyst
Old 10-07-2011, 07:08 PM   #11

No, they are the IWW -- Incessant Web Weavers...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:32 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Union ? Not here in Wisconsin. Not anymore!