Have spiders formed a Union?

Nuiloa

Recycles dryer sheets
I've been noticing a pattern in their appearance in my condo: first one, small; next one, slightly bigger; next one, a whole lot bigger; fourth one, gigantic.

I killed #3 this morning - so I'm expecting a wolf spider in my bed tonight.

This is the 3rd or 4th time I've noticed this pattern.

It's a truly scary world when spiders begin to organize against humans.

And what would that union be: ACLU (Association of Creepy Little Uglies) or UAW (United Arachnids of the World). :eek:

You do realize that the warmer the climate, the more spiders, right? :D If/when you might move south to the tropics, there may be a few more to deal with.

As I recall from many years ago, one knows that one has acclimated to Hawaii when awakening with a giant spider walking across your face doesn't bother you enough to do anything about it....

Edited to add:

Those organized spiders sound scary! Luckily the ones down here are just roving marauders, so far. :)

Last edited:
I've been noticing a pattern in their appearance in my condo: first one, small; next one, slightly bigger; next one, a whole lot bigger; fourth one, gigantic.

I killed #3 this morning - so I'm expecting a wolf spider in my bed tonight.

This is the 3rd or 4th time I've noticed this pattern.

It's a truly scary world when spiders begin to organize against humans.

And what would that union be: ACLU (Association of Creepy Little Uglies) or UAW (United Arachnids of the World). :eek:
I remember a friend who talked about spider web patterns and spiders organizing against humans but he'd been smoking too much of the wacky tobacky.

Or, maybe it's this The Giant Spider Invasion (1975) trailer - YouTube

Yuck!

Reminds me of the time I lived in Mexico and was recovering from a bout with typhoid fever. I was very weak but managed to make it down to my boyfriend's room and just crashed on his bed. When I woke up, there was a tarantula about 6 inches from my nose!!!

I ran out of the room and straight up several flights of stairs to my quarters - it was the fastest I'd moved in 2 weeks.

Turns out he had killed it and mounted it - I was just so tired when I got to his room that I missed seeing it sitting there on the bedside table. :facepalm:

Interesting as I was just talking to my wife this morning that it seems we avoided the usual September spider invasion in the northwest this year. Now the weather patterns up here were odd this year so maybe it is just delayed, but normally by mid September we are buried in spiders for a couple of weeks. Then the majority disappear (I am assuming eaten by birds, etc) and we have just a few.

I don't mind spiders except those couple of weeks because they spin webs between your car and the adjacent bush, or the house and the walkway, and you are ALWAYS walking into them. Drives me crazy as for the next half hour I am sure I have some spider on me!

But as I said we seem to have avoided the whole infestation this year. My pest control guy did give my wife some good advice though--he mentioned to keep your porch lights off and if won't attract the spiders. It makes sense, the light attracts moths, etc and they are a draw to spiders as a food source.

You do realize that the warmer the climate, the more spiders, right? :D If/when you might move south to the tropics, there may be a few more to deal with.

As I recall from many years ago, one knows that one has acclimated to Hawaii when awakening with a giant spider walking across your face doesn't bother you enough to do anything about it....

Edited to add:

Those organized spiders sound scary! Luckily the ones down here are just roving marauders, so far. :)

Also, the warmer the climate, the more it seems that the flora and fauna are out to get you. Look at Australia.

And I don't know that I'd ever acclimate enough to accept ANYTHING walking across my face.

Funny story: I have a friend who doesn't have a lot of common sense. He became enthralled with geckos when we were in Rarotonga and would entice them into his room at night by opening his window and letting all sorts of bugs in. He got lots of geckos..... and he also got lots of gecko droppings all over his clothes, his bedding, and himself. He said he thought it was raining in his room at one point, but it was just the mo'o (geckos) heeding the call of nature. After that night, the windows stayed shut. :LOL:

Also, the warmer the climate, the more it seems that the flora and fauna are out to get you. Look at Australia.

And I don't know that I'd ever acclimate enough to accept ANYTHING walking across my face.

Funny story: I have a friend who doesn't have a lot of common sense. He became enthralled with geckos when we were in Rarotonga and would entice them into his room at night by opening his window and letting all sorts of bugs in. He got lots of geckos..... and he also got lots of gecko droppings all over his clothes, his bedding, and himself. He said he thought it was raining in his room at one point, but it was just the mo'o (geckos) heeding the call of nature. After that night, the windows stayed shut. :LOL:

:LOL: Hilarious!

Funny story: I have a friend who doesn't have a lot of common sense. He became enthralled with geckos
I used to laugh in Saudi every time our cat, (who spent a lot of time hunting geckos but never seemed to catch onto their escape technique), would pounce on a gecko........the gecko's tail would separate from the body and the cat would, with front legs spread apart, have the severed tail under one paw and the rest of the lizard under the other................the nerves in the tail would then cause it to twitch and the cat would abandon the gecko and cover the tail with both paws.

At this point the gecko would depart.

The cat never wised up.

Every fall, crickets and beetles invade our basement, to be followed by an armada of large spiders.

The spiders always win :) Although the spideys are not exactly pretty, I'm on their side...crickets and beetles eat paper, fabric, and who knows what else; spiders only eat bugs!

Amethyst

Back
Top Bottom