Have tattoos peaked?

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I think so. First, I am seeing more and more very middle class looking maybe a little chubby women sporting extensive tattoos; maybe fully covering both calves, or one entire shoulder. Nothing will turn off the hipsters faster than having Old Navy shoppers adopt their form of rebellion.

Tattoo parlors were formerly found only on seedy portions of seedy streets. Now they are in suburban strips malls.

Third, there has been a long evolution from a time (my boyhood) when lower class men, sailors, pool hall habitués, and oilfield roughnecks wore tattoos. I remember seeing a few on women, and they were a strong statement of serious rebellion. (This I could pick up from how other people reacted.)

Now, women are more likely to be tattooed than men. No matter how much of a feminist you are, this is not a prestige enhancing shift.

But my final evidence was hearing a young couple talking in the seat behind me on the bus. The woman had some truly odd ideas, like she claimed to have seen one of the Blue Angels parachute out of his plane over Lake Washington and the plane crashing during the SeaFair airshow last weekend. The guy very reasonably argued that this was impossible without them having seen anything about it on TV. He was respectful, after all she was a pretty young woman, but he was trying to bring her up to speed in more or less reasonable ways of thinking.

Next he announced that they had been invited to a pool party at the bank where he worked. Then they proceeded to fret for miles about how she might avoid baring her tattoos, without looking totally strange. She wasn't even offended that he thought it was not good to show them, more distressed at the embarrassment possibly coming her way.

That's it for me, I’m short tattoos Monday AM!

Ha

Do some people actually believe that tattoos are attractive?

Is there a way to invest in tattoo removal services?

Third, there has been a long evolution from a time (my boyhood) when lower class men, sailors, pool hall habitués, and oilfield roughnecks wore tattoos.

My mother (born 1921) had an older brother who was in the navy. Back in the '60s she would ask: "Did anyone ever get a tattoo while sober?"

because they're butch (or punk if you're into that). my partner had one of a snake coiled around a knife which was stabbed through a rose and he had the arm to pull it off. i can handle one or two on a hot muscled bod but i'm not into wallpaper.

also i never was into those tribal bands. if it's not interesting enough to pin on a wall, why would you pin it into your skin.

i recently had a tattoo talk with my 18-year old nephew and was surprised that he didn't seem at all interested in inking himself as his older cousins have. so maybe that fashion bubble has popped as well.

Both of my daughters (39 -twins) and their spouses are tattoo free, and I've always been thankful for that. Hopefully the fad will have passed before my 4.5 yr old granddaughter has to deal with the peer pressure. She does have good role models, though....

Its art. Some people like art.
It's third rate art at best and sometimes even traced onto the subject from a catalog.
Barbed wire or a superman logo on someones arm is not art. Are body piercings art too?
Personally I liked it better when it was mostly cons and criminals sporting tattoos.

It's third rate art at best and sometimes even traced onto the subject from a catalog.
Barbed wire or a superman logo on someones arm is not art. Are body piercings art too?
Personally I liked it better when it was mostly cons and criminals sporting tattoos.

I never really thought to grade what kind of art it was ..lol. Id say body piercings are also art. The skin is canvas like any other medium :)

I never really thought to grade what kind of art it was ..lol. Id say body piercings are also art. The skin is canvas like any other medium :)

Is paint by numbers art?
Is this art?

prisontattoo05.jpg

prisont33.jpg

Its art. Some people like art.

There is a very pretty Asian barista at my favorite coffee shop who has a nice monochromatic bamboo tatt on her left shoulder. It looks like a very nice silk screen.

I have trouble with a lot of red in a tatt. A few days ago I was walking up Pine Street behind a woman with tatts on both legs with a lot of red, and it was disconcerting. Overall, body art is more pleasing to me if it does not remind me of bleeding.

Ha

There is a very pretty Asian barista at my favorite coffee shop who has a nice monochromatic bamboo tatt on her left shoulder. It looks like a very nice silk screen.

I have trouble with a lot of red in a tatt. A few days ago I was walking up Pine Street behind a woman with tatts on both legs with a lot of red, and it was disconcerting. Overall, body art is more pleasing to me if it does not remind me of bleeding.

Ha

Yeah, you can find some that look terrible. Then again there are some really neat ones :) Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

You tell me. You seem to be the expert on what is art. :)
I am no expert at all, but I do not understand how tattoos can be considered art. If I took magic markers and drew something on my face would it be art?

I am no expert at all, but I do not understand how tattoos can be considered art. If I took magic markers and drew something on my face would it be art?

Why dont you do that. Then post a picture for me. Ill let you know :)

Is paint by numbers art?
Is this art?

prisont33.jpg

Eh, probably. But the canvas sucks.

I almost got one when I was 18. We got half in the bag and drove to Rhode Island because they'd do them there at 18 but I think you had to be 21 in MA. Something like that. My buddies went first and I sobered up before they got to me.

Never minded a small tasteful tattoo on a woman. Not particularly thrilled with half-arm tats or some huge work all over the place. I met an absolutely gorgeous woman and all went well until later in the evening when she showed me the humongous tattoo that a very generous pair of underpants wouldnt have quite completely hidden. From the belly button to about 1/4 the way down the thigh, 365 degrees, 24x7, front and back. Gross. :p

Plus it was just a mass of roses and thorns. I was a little scared of the thorns.

Eh, probably. But the canvas sucks.

I almost got one when I was 18. We got half in the bag and drove to Rhode Island because they'd do them there at 18 but I think you had to be 21 in MA. Something like that. My buddies went first and I sobered up before they got to me.

Never minded a small tasteful tattoo on a woman. Not particularly thrilled with half-arm tats or some huge work all over the place. I met an absolutely gorgeous woman and all went well until later in the evening when she showed me the humongous tattoo that a very generous pair of underpants wouldnt have quite completely hidden. From the belly button to about 1/4 the way down the thigh, 365 degrees, 24x7, front and back. Gross. :p

Plus it was just a mass of roses and thorns. I was a little scared of the thorns.

I agree about a small tasteful tattoo on a woman (or man); it seems that some people don't know when to stop.

I have seen the same phenomenon locally with respect to lawn ornaments.

But thats not magic marker..
I bet he wishes it was.O0

My nephew just graduated from High school and plans on attending college in the fall. He had an open house and recieved quite a bit of money given with the intent of him using it for school. He took that money and went out and got a tattoo that covered his back. If people knew how he wasted the money they would have never given it to him. I know and will never help him financially again. He only gets a card for his birthday from now on.

The other day I stopped at a Burger King and the kid in the drive up window had tattooed leapard spots from his fingers to his shoulders. I thought this job is about as far as this kid is going in life.

By the way I dont have any tattoos. Its still art though. Whether someone thinks its tasteful, looks like **** or whatever opinion you have :) Ive seen stuff done by the great painters I think looks like puke but its art. ;)

Back
Top Bottom