Have You Been Snubbed?

I haven't been snubbed yet. I've gone into luxury car dealers and McMansion model homes nosing around while dressed like a slug, and I've received better treatment from these upscale sellers than I do from those selling things that I can afford.

Gee I dunno, I've read quite a lot about the 2015's, and I'm just not sure that is a car for a girl. On the other hand, Toyota has some nice wheels..:D:D;);)

Have to say my husband's 1995 Corvette Indy Pace is a "girl" car. He loves it. I call it the "Barbie Doll" car.

This happened to me, too, when I went new car buying back in 1991. The Mazda dealer wasted a few hours of my time one afternoon with their nonsense. I walked out.

Is that a typo or did you really let a dealer waste "a few hours of my time"?

Story about "Rompin' Ronnie" Hawkins, Arkansas expat who's spent most of his life in Toronto, and mentor to 'The Band'........I worked with a feller who had been moonlighting as a bouncer at the time, and who said he was one of two guys who accompanied Ronnie on this escapade:

Earl McRae: Last Boogie in Sturgeon Falls

The stories were outrageous and often true, one of the more famous being about the time he bought his Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud. He walked into the dealership in Toronto dressed in jeans, cowboy boots, a windbreaker, and with hair to his shoulders. He walked up to the car and kicked the tires. The sales, man was horrified. "How much?" asked Hawkins. "I doubt if you can afford it," the salesman sniffed. "This RR on the front here, guess that stands for Rock 'n' Roll, right?" The salesman nearly collapsed. "Is that dashboard real wood?" Hawkins asked. "Of course it's real wood," snapped the salesman. "Is there a termite warranty?" asked Hawkins. The salesman was edging him toward the door. "I'd sure like this Rock'n' Roll car, I'll be back later."

He went to Honest Ed's discount store, got a shopping bag. Then he went to his bank, withdrew $18,500 cash. Then he went back to the dealership. The salesman turned white when he stomped in. "How much is this Rock'n' Roll car again?" he persisted. "Eighteen thousand, five hundred," the salesman sighed wearily. "Fine," said Hawkins, "I'll take 'er." He dumped the bag of money on the floor. The salesman's jaw dropped, his eyes popped. "Tell me," said Hawkins to the sales manager, who had come running up at that point, "how much commission would your salesman normally get on this deal?" The sales manager swallowed hard. "About $1,500," he said. "Good," said Hawkins, "then I'll just take back $1,500." He reached down, scooped it up and moments later drove the Rolls out of the showroom.

Shortly after graduating from college and starting our new engineering jobs ($$$), DH and I walked into an upscale department store dressed, well, like New College Grads on the weekend. I can't remember what we were shopping for, but when two $10/hour clerks took one look at us and turned their backs, we just laughed at them and walked out. :LOL:

I've never had a problem with service at the nice jewelry stores, even when I was a penniless college student. I guess they're smart enough to know that even if you can't afford it now, you may be able to in the future, and they want you to remember them well. But now I feel kinda bad for misleading them, since I don't have a single piece of jewelry over ~$150, except my class ring. :blush:

Is that a typo or did you really let a dealer waste "a few hours of my time"?

I did not know that Mazda dealer was wasting my time until, after spending a few hours at the dealership, taking a test drive, and waiting for the salesman and manager to huddle over my counteroffer and having the manager accept it originally, the salesman told me, "My manager made a mistake, he wants another $800 for the car (his original offering price)."

THAT is when I realized they were just playing games with me so I walked out. Until that moment, I thought all of my negotiations were going to pay off and I would get my car at my price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Story about "Rompin' Ronnie" Hawkins, Arkansas expat who's spent most of his life in Toronto, and mentor to 'The Band'........I worked with a feller who had been moonlighting as a bouncer at the time, and who said he was one of two guys who accompanied Ronnie on this escapade:

Earl McRae: Last Boogie in Sturgeon Falls

Late FIL always dressed like he wanted to. Comfortable sometimes tattered clothes, if the sleeves of a favorite shirt were bad just cut them off.
Back in the 70-90s when he went car shopping he'd dress down, but had his pockets full of new $100 bills. If anyone started giving him bs he'd just pull out a wad of cash and thumb through it. Suddenly how he dressed became less important.

That's one of the (few) great things about shopping here in the Bay Area. Most of the salespeople I've encountered don't care what you look like. They know a prospective customer could be dressed in ratty clothes, but could still be a multi-millionaire able to buy anything in the store several times over.

I walked into one of the high-end car dealerships on Van Ness in San Francisco not long ago (Bentley dealer) dressed in my weekend getup of high-top Converse, jeans, some old shirt, baseball cap, and a week-old beard and was practically treated like royalty. No way I could afford anything in that store, but they didn't know that. As far as they knew, I was just another tech millionaire maybe looking to drop a few hundred thousand on a new car.

I rather like this approach...wear what I want, and keep them guessing.

I did not know that Mazda dealer was wasting my time until, after spending a few hours at the dealership, taking a test drive, and waiting for the salesman and manager to huddle over my counteroffer and having the manager accept it originally, the salesman told me, "My manager made a mistake, he wants another $800 for the car (his original offering price)."

THAT is when I realized they were just playing games with me so I walked out. Until that moment, I thought all of my negotiations were going to pay off and I would get my car at my price.

We had that happen, too. In our case I even had the price in writing ahead of time, and in small print they said that was the price with all applicable rebates. After they handed us the keys and had the contract with a price increase in front of us to sign, they said applicable rebates meant active military duty and some other program that only applied to a small number of potential buyers so, we didn't qualify for their initial quote.

We told them they actually had the best price even with the increase, which was true, but we were concerned about their ethics and honoring warranty work, so we were going to leave and instead buy the same car for a higher price from a dealer that had given us an honest price quote upfront.

I guess they're smart enough to know that even if you can't afford it now, you may be able to in the future, and they want you to remember them well.

I still remember a Ford dealer's staff being polite to this HS kid coming in once in a while to [-]drool[/-] just look at the cars. No way was I buying a car then, but 5 - 8 years down the road might be a different story.

This was also the dealership that donated the cars to the HS driver's ed program.

I never did buy a Ford, but if I'd been in the market for one that would have been my first stop.

We told them they actually had the best price even with the increase, which was true, but we were concerned about their ethics and honoring warranty work, so we were going to leave and instead buy the same car for a higher price from a dealer that had given us an honest price quote upfront.
Wow, talk about sticking to your principles, unlike Groucho Marx.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Maybe that no one in a job like that has posted here yet tells us something about people in those jobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I also once went to another dealer and paid a slightly higher price due to a downright shitty sales experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Wow, talk about sticking to your principles, unlike Groucho Marx.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them, I have others." - Groucho Marx

We ended up buying a different make and model. Just wanted to pull their chain a bit for wasting our time and gas to drive out there. :)

When my son got his first career job after college he needed to buy a car. We had bought our used Camry from a Toyota dealer so we went back there. He had researched the Yarises and even rented one for a week and was ready to buy a new one, even though I explained how a used car was a better deal. He had a hefty down payment and a good income and he's not a car fixing kind of guy so he was set on getting new.

So we went in together and a salesman found us. My son said he was shopping for a Yaris and the salesman looks at me and says, "he's going to need you to cosign." I said, "No, I will not cosign, he's doing this on his own." My son is short and yes, he looks young. The salesman asked where he worked and what he earned, my son had his pay stub with him and the salesman looked at it and said, "Nope, you don't need a cosigner."

Toyota had a nice rebate for recent college grads and he may have also gotten a promo interest rate for recent grad financing. M son knew what he wanted in terms of color and trim and had time to wait for the right car so he picked it up a week later. He got a 5 year loan and paid it off in 15 months. He lives close to his work and his car is now 7 years old with 26,000 miles.

Maybe that's not really being snubbed. It was more of feeling like the guy looked at us and decided ahead of time that the buyer wasn't going to meet their qualifications.

"He got a 5 year loan and paid it off in 15 months. "

You raised your son well!

Thanks! He didn't like having debt. He's still debt free and lives on just about 50% of his take home pay. He's the one I go to for investing advice.

BTW, he's turning 30 next week! I must be really old.

When working for megacorp, we had a customer who would buy the opposite of whatever we recommended. So we started to delicately suggest that our newest products, although well-made, would not be suitable for them for a variety of reasons.

Pretty soon, they had all our latest stuff, and we would marvel at how they made it all work.

Meanwhile, we never let on to megacorp what our strategy was but we did get all the sales awards.

Back
Top Bottom