Join Early Retirement Today

Have You Been Snubbed?
Old 06-27-2014, 02:55 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Have You Been Snubbed?

I found this an interesting concept - the worse salespeople treat you when shopping for high end merchandise, the more you want it.

Luxury Brand Lovers Are Secretly Masochists, Study Suggests : Mental Health : Counsel & Heal

Quote:
New research reveals that rejection actually boosts desire for brand affiliation. Customers who visit high-end boutiques are more actually more likely to purchase and display items when snobby salesclerks have snubbed them.
"Our research highlights the fact that we are profoundly attuned to social threats and are driven to buy, wear, and use products from the very people who are disrespectful to us," study authors Morgan K. Ward of Southern Methodist University and Darren W. Dahl of the University of British Columbia, wrote in the study.
Maybe this explains why no one waits on me at the Porsche dealership.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
...the worse salespeople treat you when shopping for high end merchandise, the more you want it.
Reminds me of this place:
Quote:
Frost Bros. was a high-fashion retail chain based in San Antonio, Texas. The retailer opened its first store in 1917 at 217 E. Houston Street in Downtown San Antonio. Frost Bros. was known for quality personal service, including name recognition, purchase preferences, and personal shoppers. Their customer service was on the same level as Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue, and Nordstrom. Frost Bros. filed for bankruptcy protection in April 1988...
Frost Bros. was legendary for the 'frostiness' of their sales staff.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:26 PM   #3

Sometimes if you're in a high end store (Porsche or Mercedes dealership for example), you're more likely to get good service if you dress down like you don't care, rather than try to look like you can afford their products.

I knew a guy who owned two Rolls-Royces (drove them himself, too) and I never saw him in a necktie.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:42 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I found this an interesting concept - the worse salespeople treat you when shopping for high end merchandise, the more you want it.

Luxury Brand Lovers Are Secretly Masochists, Study Suggests : Mental Health : Counsel & Heal
L B Y M to you too. That's how I spell ell u ex u are why and the reverse psychology poo poo does not work on me.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:46 PM   #5

I saw that article or one similar and that surprises me. When I get snubbed in any store I just leave and never go back.

Of course I can't say that you'll find me in many luxury brand stores anyway....
Old 06-27-2014, 04:07 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
.............Of course I can't say that you'll find me in many luxury brand stores anyway....
My idea of luxury is shopping Costco instead of Walmart.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:12 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Hey, if you can go shop at all, it's a luxury no matter where.

Me, I only stay at home and BS on the forum.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:15 PM   #8

I guess I "snub" the sales person as I rarely want their help.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:42 PM   #9

I would take my business elsewhere if I had a rude sales person. We order high end trucks and corvettes. The former corvette dealer treated me like I was stupid and kept trying to sell me on a car he had in stock. He told me a little girl like myself couldn't handle a ZR1. Similar with the truck dealer. I got the corvette I wanted at a different dealer and made sure I went back to the other dealer so he could see the corvette.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:51 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
......... I got the corvette I wanted at a different dealer and made sure I went back to the other dealer so he could see the corvette.
Yea, but didn't it really make you want to own a Corvette?
Old 06-27-2014, 05:22 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I saw that article or one similar and that surprises me. When I get snubbed in any store I just leave and never go back.
Same for me. I usually feel very uncomfortable in luxury stores (clearly I don't belong). I did go to Tiffany's recently to buy a bauble for DW and they were very nice even though I did not look like much.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I did go to Tiffany's recently to buy a bauble for DW and they were very nice even though I did not look like much.
I suspect the experienced sales folks in high-end stores realize that the high-end spenders don't have to give a damn what they look like when shopping.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:27 PM   #13

Quote:
+1
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:28 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I think the psychology is the VIP mentality and it's human nature to want what we think we won't get. How often on an add we see "for sale, last one."

The feeling probably goes back to growing up looking for a BFF
Old 06-27-2014, 05:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Yea, but didn't it really make you want to own a Corvette?
It made me want to go someplace else to buy the corvette that I wanted. Not what he thought I could afford or handle. Just wanted to make sure he saw the commission he lost from the "little girl".
I'll be ordering 2015 corvette this Fall. I'll make sure I take it back there as well!

Don't mess with little girls!
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:15 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I always feel vaguely uncomfortable in high end stores and hotels, like I do not belong. The fishmonger's son has no business walking into a Baccarat retail store.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Don't knock costco out of the luxury business. I was there today and there was a bottle of booze that was $5k. What does that work out per shot? Pretty darn luxurious. (It was in a locked cabinet). I never noticed it because I don't peruse the expensive end of that aisle.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:38 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Don't knock costco out of the luxury business. I was there today and there was a bottle of booze that was $5k. What does that work out per shot? Pretty darn luxurious.
Was the checkout clerk snobby?
Old 06-27-2014, 07:49 PM   #19

Quote:

Maybe this explains why no one waits on me at the Porsche dealership.
While there may be some in the "bourgeoisie" that will want luxury items more if they are snubbed, I don't quite think that most of the well-heeled will walk into a store like Tiffany or Coach, get what they feel is poor service, and suddenly walk out.

Most of the ultra luxury brands only have one store per city, so it's either that store or nothing. And if someone blowing their money on a status symbol like that is in the mood to buy, they're doing it because they want that brand. IMO, that drive for that brand isn't going to be tempered by the quality of service they get.

They will of course complain about the service to their friends and on Facebook...but I doubt it will temper their demand for that product.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Was the checkout clerk snobby?
LOL - nope. But then again, I had the $21 kirkland branded vodka.... (A really big bottle and now on par, pricewise, with Skyy... my former go to inexpensive vodka.)
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote