Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-18-2015, 04:21 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Had pickled herring on a cracker at Costco today. Not at all sure catfood is worse.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2015, 04:32 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

No cat so never had a need to buy it. I do have a dog, but never ate his food. He eats some of mine however and never got sick.

Old 12-18-2015, 04:56 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you really want to try it:

https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/hum...g-and-cat-food

These are human food grade pet foods you can eat if you want.

http://blog.sfgate.com/nwzchik/2006/...eats-dog-food/
Old 12-18-2015, 05:09 PM   #24

weren't there ads in 1983 about elderly folks eating cat food and the Social Security amendments or did I just dream that up?
Old 12-18-2015, 05:28 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

The "Old People Having to Eat Dog Food" meme has been around since at least the 1970's, because I remember people making cracks about it. Of course now it's "seniors" instead of old people.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
weren't there ads in 1983 about elderly folks eating cat food and the Social Security amendments or did I just dream that up?
Old 12-18-2015, 05:30 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
As I recall it was dog food, not cat food. One time, when we had cat, there was what looked like a piece of cookie on the cutting board. You know where this is going...It was nasty!
Old 12-18-2015, 05:35 PM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
If you really want to try it:

https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/hum...g-and-cat-food

These are human food grade pet foods you can eat if you want.

Dick eats dog food - NWZCHIK
Thanks. After giving this some thought, I think I'll pass. Maybe it has something to do with living in New Orleans. The food here is just too good to turn down in favor of cat food, even human grade cat food.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 05:41 PM   #28

IAMS murdered both of our cats due to melamine which was added to fool sensors into thinking more protein was in the food.

So, no, I wouldn't eat cat food.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:48 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Of course now it's "seniors" instead of old people.
It's still "old people" around here. What's wrong with that?
Old 12-18-2015, 06:03 PM   #30

Thank you all for your posts. Some posts were down right hilarious (It needs salt LOL!)!!!! This discussion is making me lean toward not taking the plunge to taste my cat's wet food, although the food does smell good to me (even the seafood falvored ones.....) I was totally leaning toward trying it until the mentioning of melamine (Fermion, I am very sorry to hear what happened to your kitties. I remember the incident from a few years ago.). I may still try it (lick it and spit it out), but I am losing the courage more and more...Like Amethyst, I bet a lot of kids have tried it one time or another though.

The only thing I've tried so far is when my last cat needed a potassium supplement which my vet prescribed, I tasted it since it wasn't just white, but it had flecks of brown stuff in it. The brown stuff was bonito flakes. It was kind of tasty (tasted just like the bonito granulated flakes you get at a Japanese market...)
Old 12-18-2015, 06:33 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

My cat has food allergies, so he eats a special single ingredient prescription cat food that costs more than any of my food! I couldn't afford to eat his food!
Old 12-18-2015, 06:44 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
I buy canned tuna fish when it is on sale for 50cents/can. It's cheaper than the canned cat food.

Nope, canned cat food can be as cheap as 33 cents.... I buy for about 45 cents....

I do not like the cheap tuna... buy Albacore.... more expensive but better...
Old 12-18-2015, 06:44 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

The high end canned stuff? Paté. Serve with crackers and maybe some Kraft.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:48 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I'd never eat cat food.

But I've nibbled on dog Milk Bones several times before giving them to our dogs, to tease them and irritate DW. Not surprisingly, they don't have much taste...
Same here.... but only ate dry... believe it was Milk Bone....

Also, dry cat food is VERY cheap... some wet food is VERY expensive... like over $1 for a 3 oz can...

As to wet food, both our cats kinda lick the gravy and eat some of the meat... but let most of t dry out... DW started to feed an outdoor cat and it will eat any left overs that our cats do not... plus, it loves chicken bones...
Old 12-18-2015, 07:26 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Keep in mind who pays for cat food? The manufactures know what people think looks good to eat and that few people will actually taste the food. Now what do cats naturally eat and how might that taste? Certain small rodents come to mind, large bugs, few sparrows, maybe some small fish. I never see adds for kitty spices or marinades, so it's likely bland food from icky sources.

No thanks! I'm not eating any.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:34 PM   #36

I tried a taste of it once, and now know why cats lick their genitals. It's to take away the taste of the cat food.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:35 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

I buy my old cat those little cans of Fancy Feast. Pieces of meat in a gravy. For the grilled turkey, main ingredients are turkey broth, turkey, turkey liver, and meat byproducts. It looks sort of appetizing although I don't want to taste it. Probably bland as I doubt they put salt in it. There is no warning on the can concerning whether it is safe for human consumption so I'm sure it is safe.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:37 PM   #38

I have never eaten cat food. I could never get past the smell of it.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:40 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
IAMS murdered both of our cats due to melamine which was added to fool sensors into thinking more protein was in the food.

So, no, I wouldn't eat cat food.
I am so sorry to hear this. I remember when those terrible stories came out. My condolences.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:54 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

I've been to a few tuna canning plants in Puerto Rico doing operations assessments. Lots of nice, freshly packed tuna in those cans for human consumption. The stuff that won't qualify as sale grade food ends up being either beat to death in a ball mill to make fish meal (bones, scales, etc) or classified and processed into cat food (the soft waste). No, you don't want to eat canned cat food.