Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-18-2015, 09:13 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
I am so sorry to hear this. I remember when those terrible stories came out. My condolences.
Thanks,

They paid to put down both cats (total kidney failure) but no other costs. I think they included a $10 coupon for IAMS cat food.

OP, I would never eat cat food (or feed it to a cat)
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2015, 09:44 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Thank you for your comment Fermion. What happened to your cats is just so tragic.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:13 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
IAMS murdered both of our cats due to melamine which was added to fool sensors into thinking more protein was in the food.

So, no, I wouldn't eat cat food.

Sorry to hear about this... it is terrible when a pet dies early...

I never had heard this.... and IAMS has been recommended to us by a few people...

Looked at a Wiki and IAMS was not listed... are you sure they were part of the problem?

Edit to add... seems it was also put into the human food chain....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 01:02 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Very sorry, Fermion.

As i recall, and i have five cats now and have rescued, rehabilitated, and trained as therapy animals several cats, and a couple dogs, over the past 25 yrs, that every major cat food manufacturer was affected by the powdered melamine scandal. The common source was a company in China that packaged the stuff as cheap protein powder. I was extremely fortunate in that since my cats at the time ate only dry food (some dry products had it too but not nearly as many lines as the wet food lines) none were affected. I do know Petco has pledged to stock only foods with North American sourced ingredients ever since this happened. A yr or so after the pet food scandal, there were some deaths of human babies in China as the stuff got put in baby formula there too. After that, an executive from some co there was executed, and have not seen any more melamine stories since.
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 01:14 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
I buy canned tuna fish when it is on sale for 50cents/can. It's cheaper than the canned cat food.

Non-catfood tuna is really awful to feed cats as anything more than an occasional treat. Besides the fact that it is lacking in essential nutrients, it can cause serious health issues:

Tuna doesn’t have adequate amounts of vitamin E and this may lead to a condition called steatitis (also known as yellow fat disease). Tuna has a very strong taste and smell so many cats can become addicted to it. Veterinarians refer to them as “tuna junkies.” The problem can be serious because these tuna junkies may refuse to eat anything else. The other problem with a steady diet of tuna is that there’s a risk of mercury poisoning.

But as far as the OP's question, I ate dry catfood when I was 6 years old. I remember thinking my cat was crazy because it tasted really gross.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:24 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cats need taurine and don't get it (or enough) in human canned tuna. It is good for an occasional treat but not on a regular basis. My cats can only eat a tiny amount or they barf it up. I think regular tuna is just too rich for them, or they love it so much they gobble it down.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 05:00 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
However, I am sure the pet food is not made from the prime cuts, it is all the leftovers and organs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I thought that's what they used to make hot dogs.
Nope, scrapple, yum!

Not a cat owner but have fed friend's kitties when they are away. I'm wondering what wet cat food the OP is feeding their cats because the stuff my friend feeds their cats stinks.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 05:49 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Nope, scrapple, yum!

Not a cat owner but have fed friend's kitties when they are away. I'm wondering what wet cat food the OP is feeding their cats because the stuff my friend feeds their cats stinks.
Just a cheapo Purina (Friskies) or Cat Feast stuff. To me it kind of smells like mixture of fish and liver.... I am from Japan and to me, dried squid stinks (You might even vomit smelling that if you aren't used to it...)
Old 12-19-2015, 06:09 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I never see adds for kitty spices or marinades, so it's likely bland food from icky sources.
Cats have very few taste buds compared to humans.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:36 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Cats have very few taste buds compared to humans.
I heard they cannot taste sweet. That is utterly tragic.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:55 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Then, why were mine so crazy about ice cream? They were just OK about milk, so the answer wasn't "because ice cream has milk in it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I heard they cannot taste sweet. That is utterly tragic.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:36 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Then, why were mine so crazy about ice cream? They were just OK about milk, so the answer wasn't "because ice cream has milk in it."
Interesting...I have no idea why your cats are crazy about ice cream while not crazy about milk. I was watching Cats from Hell and they give quizzes and one of them was about what taste cats cannot taste and the answer was sweet (if I remember it correctly.)

I just google it to make sure and there are lots of articles about cats having no sweet taste buds.

Quote:
It has been known for a while (2005) that all cat species lack a functional Tas1R2 protein, one part of the sweet receptor (other part is Tas1R3). Cats happen to be obligate carnivores – they only eat meat – so they don’t need to crave carbohydrates – they get enough from metabolizing the compounds in the meat.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:49 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

I interviewed at Hills Science Diet plant years ago. They had a taste panel set-up that they said they tested everyday for quality, so I guess that brand is ok for humans?

I never worked there, so never tried it
Sasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:54 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasset View Post
I interviewed at Hills Science Diet plant years ago. They had a taste panel set-up that they said they tested everyday for quality..
WOW. Really? A human taste panel?
Old 12-19-2015, 08:29 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I just google it to make sure and there are lots of articles about cats having no sweet taste buds.
It makes sense. Think about what cats eat in the wild - not much in the way of sweet there. So why bother with sweet taste buds.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:33 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankiesGirl View Post
Non-catfood tuna is really awful to feed cats as anything more than an occasional treat. Besides the fact that it is lacking in essential nutrients, it can cause serious health issues:

Tuna doesn’t have adequate amounts of vitamin E and this may lead to a condition called steatitis (also known as yellow fat disease). Tuna has a very strong taste and smell so many cats can become addicted to it. Veterinarians refer to them as “tuna junkies.” The problem can be serious because these tuna junkies may refuse to eat anything else. The other problem with a steady diet of tuna is that there’s a risk of mercury poisoning.

But as far as the OP's question, I ate dry catfood when I was 6 years old. I remember thinking my cat was crazy because it tasted really gross.

It is interesting that one of my cats will NOT eat any human tuna at all...

The other one might eat a small amount, but what she wants is the water it is packed with....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:39 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
I doubt you would get sick. However, I am sure the pet food is not made from the prime cuts, it is all the leftovers and organs. Not so appetizing to me.
<shrug> Sounds like the recipe for bologna
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:41 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Looked at a Wiki and IAMS was not listed... are you sure they were part of the problem?
Yes, it was the IAMS wet food in the little foil pouches that was contaminated with the melamine. We also fed them IAMS dry food (which was not contaminated to my knowledge). My wife was even more upset because she felt she had personally poisoned our cats (2 and 4 years old) by feeding them the wet food even as they were starting to seem ill (she thought it would cheer them up).

Didn't mean to divert the original topic. It has been a long time now but we have not been able to have cats since.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:26 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I tried a taste of it once, and now know why cats lick their genitals. It's to take away the taste of the cat food.
And, you know this how?
Old 12-19-2015, 10:05 AM   #60

All the major American companies use human tasters. I read this book on animal behavior "Zoobiquity: What Animals Can Teach Us About Health and the Science of Healing", which was really interesting. They test the food on expert human tasters so the tasters can identify little taste nuances with the ingredients they put in to get them. The animals can only tell the company in general whether they will eat it or not, but not WHAT makes it tasty. Also the smell and look of the food is for the human feeder, not the pet. The smell --- LOL --- I hold my nose every day when I spoon that stuff out.

The book said the same thing about cats not tasting sweet.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote