Join Early Retirement Today

Have you ever called 9-1-1?
Old 05-31-2017, 05:19 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Have you ever called 9-1-1?

Many years ago I called 911 when my MIL fell and cracked her head open.

But what if someone passes away unexpectedly in their sleep?

LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2017, 05:24 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Are you in a big hurry for an answer to your question? Hope you didn't have an unpleasant surprise this AM...

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:27 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

No surprise that I know of, but college-age son sleeps 'til noon. And I wouldn't be posting here if I found someone dead … I would be tweeting.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:28 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

911 would be my call.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:43 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Moments after being involved in a high speed collision I dialed 911. I was stumped by the "Do you really want to dial 911?" prompt from my cell phone. Fortunately a good Samaritan was on-scene and made the call.

As to your second question, no, if someone passes away unexpectedly in their sleep I don't believe they would be able to dial 911.
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:48 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

MIL lived w us for 8 years. Called 911 maybe 4-5 x for falls in which we felt it unsafe for us to get her up (even though she weighted <100#). Ah, don't miss those days.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:00 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I vaguely remember calling 9-1-1 several years ago. I can't remember what for (I think it was a car accident-not mine), but I was in a rural area and 9-1-1 asked me for the address. There wasn't an address and I had a hard time getting them to understand it.

A few days ago I came upon a car/deer accident. A lady was in the road ditch consoling/hugging the dear and asked me to call 9-1-1. I didn't think 9-1-1 was necessary - I called the sheriff.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:11 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes - when I were visiting my mum and her ticker started acting up. She got pale and weak with cold sweats.

And it was good I did - she got a heart attack a few hours later - laying in her bed in the emergency heart ward.
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:18 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

One must always consider their ability, willingness and need to dial 911.

For most people the need to dial 911 would constitute a Really Bad Day (RBD).
Old 05-31-2017, 06:24 AM   #10

I've called 911 several times and for different reasons. Once to report a fire, once to report a really bad traffic accident that I witnessed and once to call for an ambulance. In all cases, response times were was amazing.

If someone passes away in your home (as in the OP question) you should call 911 as soon as possible (when you recognize it.) I've known a few families where someone has died at home. In my state, if you "suspect" someone has died at home and call 911, they send an ambulance "just in case" and to verify the death and the police to start the "initial" investigation.
Car-Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:25 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I called the sheriff.
How did you know the sheriff's phone number? In our location, it is practically impossible to reach law enforcement without dialing 911. Their number is not in the phone book nor painted on their vehicles.

@H20Dude, I only had to call 911 one time for my MIL.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd View Post
As to your second question, no, if someone passes away unexpectedly in their sleep I don't believe they would be able to dial 911.
Car-Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:55 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
How did you know the sheriff's phone number? In our location, it is practically impossible to reach law enforcement without dialing 911. Their number is not in the phone book nor painted on their vehicles.

@H20Dude, I only had to call 911 one time for my MIL.
I googled the county sheriff and got the phone no from his website. Then I called the office and talked to the dispatcher.

Wow - I didn't know that some law enforcement agencies didn't publish their phone numbers.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:00 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Bucket list item?
Old 05-31-2017, 07:12 AM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I googled the county sheriff and got the phone no from his website. Then I called the office and talked to the dispatcher.

Wow - I didn't know that some law enforcement agencies didn't publish their phone numbers.
The sheriff's non-emergency number is well-known in these parts, largely because you have to call to notify them when you will be doing any outdoor burning. Most folks living out here in the puckerbush have to do some occasional brush cutting, then dispose of it by burning. $500 fine if the fire dept shows up and you haven't called it in beforehand.

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:17 AM   #16

Our most vivid call was when one of our sons was 10 and had a bad asthma attack and his inhaler didn't seem to be helping. I'll never forget the look in his eyes as we waited for what seemed like forever. It was a look I never want to see again.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:37 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I've called a number of times, once when I hit a deer in Montana; once when I saw someone driving towards me, onto a highway off-ramp. Most recent was when my neighbor's house alarm was going off for long enough that it was obvious that they weren't around.
Maenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:39 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have called 911 many, many times in my former work life. A couple of times in personal life, once for witnessed car accident and once for DD illness/asthma.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:45 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Perhaps google something like "houston police dispatch"

How to Contact HPD

• Dial 9-1-1 to report an emergency.
    Helpful information on using the 9-1-1 Emergency Number.
  • Dial (713) 884-3131 to request non-emergency police service for locations within the city limits of Houston. If you live outside the jurisdiction of the Houston Police Department and have a problem or situation that requires police service, please contact your local law enforcement agency.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:50 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

DW accidentally called 911 once back in the pre-cell phone days when your fingers were used to dialing 9 to get an outside line at work. She realized her mistake and tried to hang up before the call was placed. A few seconds later, the phone rings - checking to see if someone called 911. DW is mortified, explains it was a mistake, apologies profusely.

About 10 minutes later two officers show up at the front door. Just checking to make sure things were OK. Was DW being forced to claim everything was OK by me? Am I being difficult? Have I been drinking? So the officer decides he wants to interview DW alone, so I got to go outside with the other officer and sit in the back of his squad car.

Of course all was OK, and it was all cleared up in 5 minutes or less. But that was the day the new neighbors got to see me in a police car. Good times.

Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote