Join Early Retirement Today

Have you ever painted a table?
Old 05-31-2010, 10:10 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Have you ever painted a table?

I have a solid oak kitchen table that is looking a bit dated. I'm thinking about painting it a deep red but am not sure how it will come out. Another option would be to stain it a dark stain. Have you ever painted an already finished table? Any recommendations?
bank5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2010, 10:18 AM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
I have a solid oak kitchen table that is looking a bit dated. I'm thinking about painting it a deep red but am not sure how it will come out. Another option would be to stain it a dark stain. Have you ever painted an already finished table? Any recommendations?

I have painted several pieces of finished furniture . I paint them with a wood paint then I use a cloth and wipe a stain over the finished piece lightly ( I wipe off excess stain so it's only a real thin coat )to add an antiquing detail .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think staining is almost always a better option. I've unpainted a few pieces of furniture, and it's very difficult.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I think staining is almost always a better option. I've unpainted a few pieces of furniture, and it's very difficult.
Yeah, it's tough to tell how the red paint would turn out. I'm not in love with the table so if it's a disaster, I wouldn't mind get a new one. Maybe I'll just stain it though to play it safe.
bank5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:55 AM   #5
Administrator

You could try pickling it (also sometimes called liming).

Pickled Wood Furniture - Creative Home Arts Magazine
Old 06-12-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
Confused about dryer sheets

If you like the idea of seeing the wood grain then a typical stain would be fine, as long as you strip the paint from the table. If you're not concerned about being able to see the grain you might want to consider re-painting the table with another coat of paint or you could go with a solid stain. Solid stains have more pigment and are much closer to a paint in that you normally can't see the grain through them.

Either way you're going to have to sand the table down somewhat in order to create a "tooth" for the new finish to adhere to.
Oneida100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:35 PM   #7

A table was one of the first things I ever painted. With a really nice still life arrangement on it. Water colors. I think oils are great, but I just wasn't up to it at the time.

I've taken some good photos of tables, too.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:46 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
You could try pickling it (also sometimes called liming).

Pickled Wood Furniture - Creative Home Arts Magazine

Thanks for that link, Gumby. I posted something about pickled pine a long time ago, and didn't find many here that were into it. I love, love, love the look of a good piece done this way myself.
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:32 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Please don't paint a solid oak table, unless of course it's already painted...

But if you must, you need to use primer first, else the paint won't adhere well to the existing finish.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:36 PM   #10
gone traveling

Consider old-fashioned milk paint- nothing else is quite as durable. If you want it to look old timeless, paint it, distress lightly/sand through in a few places to simulate years of wear, then glaze with a darker stain, removing most of the glaze- leave it in nooks and crannies, seams, etc. Finish with a clearcoat. Then take it to Goodwill and go buy a new table. Enjoy the finished product.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:58 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you really want to know the ins and outs about finishes and furniture restoration/repair check out George Grotz book "The Furniture Doctor." Every cheap bastard LBYMer should have a copy.