Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Have you smoked marijuana, or even seen it?
I am 55 or older and yes, I smoked marijuana at least once at sometime in my life. 58 34.52%
I am 55 or older and no, I have never smoked marijuana but I have seen it in real life. 17 10.12%
I am 55 or older and no, I have never smoked marijuana and I have never seen it in real life. 5 2.98%
I am age 41-54 and yes, I smoked marijuana at least once at sometime in my life. 45 26.79%
I am age 41-54 and no, I have never smoked marijuana but I have seen it in real life. 18 10.71%
I am age 41-54 and no, I have never smoked marijuana and I have never seen it in real life. 2 1.19%
I am 40 or younger and yes, I smoked marijuana at least once at sometime in my life. 14 8.33%
I am 40 or younger and no, I have never smoked marijuana but I have seen it in real life. 2 1.19%
I am 40 or younger and no, I have never smoked marijuana and I have never seen it in real life. 6 3.57%
I don't fit into any of these categories for some reason but wanted to vote anyway. 1 0.60%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-24-2009, 05:30 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Post #14 in this thread http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ics-37878.html has the link to "Toking" with Lawrence Welk on YouTube. Seems appropriate here.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2009, 06:07 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ah the old days - recall being on a destroyer that had made port in Thailand. The Thais had marketing to sailor whims down pat. Big bottles of Sing Ha beer at the bars and bar girls ready on tap. Need smoke? The drill was to buy two cartons of duty free cigarettes, take a ride to a mystery location and drop off the cartons, come back after a beer and pay $20 and pick up one carton of sealed packs of smokes, 19 to the pack. There was something about that Thai tobacco that would kick a young off duty sailor's axx. Captain was pretty civilized - after we had done a month or so of coastal cruising and offloading of 5" rounds we headed for Japan - An officer came on the shipboard broadcast system and pointed out that Japan had zero tolerance for marijuana or other drugs and that dogs would most likely be coming on board. Fair warning. For the next few nights of at sea cruising the fantail was alight with little fireflies - and all scent went to the rear. Officers didn't go back there much, if they had the smokes would have been tossed. Don't recall that anyone was stupid enough not to heed the Captain's warning...
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:20 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
From what I remember of the 70's, it was the leaves that were smoked. I saw that show on CNBC too and I was surprised that it was the buds that were being harvested. That's probably why it's all so much stronger now.

Anyone else remember it that way? Or is my memory clouded.
It was always the buds that were in demand. The people on the bottom of the food chain got leaves, stems, and seeds.

Regarding the comments about people not having seen pot in the late 60s/early 70s, my impression is that pretty much everyone in my general age group (53 - 60) all started around '69-70. At least on the East Coast. Maybe a little earlier out west, a little later in flyover country. I started younger than most, but my friends who were 3-7 years older all started about the same time I did. I think that's about when it became generally available.

I am a bit puzzled by all the claims (nationally, not just here) by people who never smoked, saw, smelled or heard of it. They did a poll in my college in '76 as to how many people did drugs, and I believe it was like 65% did it fairly regularly, and 85% had at least tried it. Now it appears to be more like 20/40%. I can't believe all those pot smokers died young. Of course, I have an old friend who's wife was a virgin when they got married. So I guess if you can become a virgin again, you can get a clean slate on drugs too.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:14 PM   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post

Based on the numbers to date, about 1/3 of the people who responded are either liars, complete geeks nerds social misfits or live in special Utah communities.
Or perhaps they didn't grow up in North America... People in the US and Canada are more likely to have experience with Marijuana than people in other countries.

Adult lifetime cannabis use by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:58 AM   #85
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
A little off the point: the other day I averted my eyes at the sight of an impromptu street store. Four or five people were standing around a library drop box, using the top as a table. As I passed by, one of the guys had a large overcoat open, saying, "....and this is crack." Apparently I was too late to see the pot pointed out.

This sort of thing should be illegal!
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:44 AM   #86

I am in the 1/3 that hasn't smoked weed (plenty of cigars ... no pot). Lots of second hand smoke thou; had a college roommate was a bonified "pot-head". Woke to joint; skipped most of his classes; took a few hits before bed. Dropped out of school within a year (not there's anything wrong with that).
Old 09-25-2009, 08:24 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
I am in the 1/3 that hasn't smoked weed (plenty of cigars ... no pot). Lots of second hand smoke thou; had a college roommate was a bonified "pot-head". Woke to joint; skipped most of his classes; took a few hits before bed. Dropped out of school within a year (not there's anything wrong with that).
That guy should have stuck to the cell phone dope smoking plan. Evenings and weekends and you are good to go. Avoid that daytime activity.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:07 AM   #88

This anecdote is a bit of a diversion, but...

One of our best friends retired early while at the peak of his career. He was the head of the English department of the best public school in town, taught AP English, member of the college board, helped write and grade the the AP English test, college board mentor for schools trying to start AP programs, you get the picture. A new principal decided to make life miserable for him, and did. Stripped away most of his management authority and perks, gave him low performance reviews. He was angry and crushed. Couldn't take it. I think the last straw was when she forced him to accept the "C" student scion of politically influential family into the National Honor Society. Retired at the first chance, committing himself to a very shaky financial position. He copes by smoking - way too much IMHO, and it has been going on for years. I suppose it is permanent now. We see them about once a week for drinks and hors d'oeuvres at their place and then dinner out somewhere inexpensive. During the hour or so we are at their house, he excuses himself two or three times to go outside for a toke. (his SO does not allow him to smoke inside).

When we go on trips together and he has to go cold turkey, he definitely gets cranky, unhappy, and difficult. I suspect pot is his biggest expense. It kills me, but I can think of nothing do do. Apart from the illegality, I would rather see him smoke than drink. Sorry for the downer post, but life is like that sometimes.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:27 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

IP, we have one of those in our lives. It is very sad, and that is why most people who are relatively happy in life don't need these crutches to cope with everyday life. I know very few who are not on the "cellphone plan" (love that) who are high functioning in work or life or relationships.
It may be a downer, but it is all too true.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:00 AM   #90
Moderator Emeritus

UH is doing a different sort of study:
Quote:
Hawaii Marijuana Study: Subjects Needed: 18-45 years old. Volunteer for a brain research study at the University of Hawaii Department of Medicine. You may be eligible if you speak English and have used marijuana daily, or if you have used marijuana less than 5 times in your life. You will be paid for your participation and will be provided with pictures of your brain (you will receive a MRI). Strictly confidential. Please call 545-8974.
They're offering a whole host of opportunities to be a lab rat:
Volunteers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Four or five people were standing around a library drop box, using the top as a table. As I passed by, one of the guys had a large overcoat open, saying, "....and this is crack." Apparently I was too late to see the pot pointed out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
This sort of thing should be illegal!
Yeah, geez, everyone knows you're not allowed to use the drop boxes when the library is open!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:09 AM   #91

I have never had a good experience with marijuana. The few times I tried it (in my yoot) always lead to paranoia at best, and often a conversation with the Lord over the porcelain telephone.

This reminds me of something a dear departed friend said years ago in the midst of the AIDS crisis. "You know your party days are over when your drug of choice changes from MDA to AZT".
Old 09-25-2009, 11:47 AM   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
IP, we have one of those in our lives....
I had one or more of those in my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Yeah, geez, everyone knows you're not allowed to use the drop boxes when the library is open!
Wonder if the library gets a cut? I braved a much worse area to go see a favorite actor do a benefit. There things are more obvious, urine on the sidewalk, people passed out, pushers and pimps in charge pacing the block; saw a young cop and an even younger rookie. First cop says, "I love this beat, it's like the wild west."
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:59 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of the library, I just got an email that the new Dan Brown book I reserved is in. Guess I will fire up a joint and read about bizarre conspiracies in the revolutionary days.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:05 PM   #94
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Speaking of the library, I just got an email that the new Dan Brown book I reserved is in. Guess I will fire up a joint and read about bizarre conspiracies in the revolutionary days.
Glad I'm not the only one. I went over to the vBulletin Reading Forum to see their comments, no one there will admit to reading it. I'm about half way thru, thought it would be interesting to read about D.C.

I don't think this is a spoiler: As usual, I disagree with his take on the meaning of a particular piece of art but maybe by the end he'll come around to a better interpretation.

You have a point there, the book needs something to go with it, nah, I'll just go with white wine.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:00 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

IP.... I hope you do not have any children who sees your friend...

I have never taken pot in any form... and I got rid of decided to go my own way from the people who did smoke...

The last time I had to do this was with one of my friends in laws... we went to one of their kids party and the husband and a bunch of his friends decided to go outside and partake... I did not know this until later... but told my friend I would never go back to his sisters house... no reason for me to get busted because someone wants to smoke the weed...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:18 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
IP.... I hope you do not have any children who sees your friend...

I have never taken pot in any form... and I got rid of decided to go my own way from the people who did smoke...

The last time I had to do this was with one of my friends in laws... we went to one of their kids party and the husband and a bunch of his friends decided to go outside and partake... I did not know this until later... but told my friend I would never go back to his sisters house... no reason for me to get busted because someone wants to smoke the weed...
Nope. No children, and he is very responsible and extremely discreet. If you met him you would never guess. He is aware it is a problem. We worry about him nevertheless, but have been friends for more than 20 years, long before this addiction began, so we mainly keep quiet and worry. He is a lovely person, and a valuable friend. He knows not to bring it to our house or in a car when we are along. Our friendship does not include our taking on undue legal risks, although I suppose there is some risk of us being included in a bust if the cops raided his house while we were there and he was outside taking a toke. Life is complicated (for me anyway). There are problems and conundrums for which satisfying solutions evade me.

That said, please understand that I completely respect your views.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:16 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Yes I did. However I never exhaled.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:06 PM   #98
Moderator Emeritus

A few more voters than in this prior marijuana poll, but somewhat similar results: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ana-19755.html

Note the number of people who still take a toke now and then.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:11 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Wow...that was before I joined. I had to vote just to see the results...
Old 09-25-2009, 07:22 PM   #100
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
A few more voters than in this prior marijuana poll, but somewhat similar results: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ana-19755.html

Note the number of people who still take a toke now and then.
Guess the two polls had pretty radically different slants, hmm?

I decided to post a poll to find out how many people had actually seen marijuana in person, and some others thought that would be a good idea.

Also, a secondary interest (of mine, only) was in the age groups and I was really surprised that those under 40 seemed to have had less exposure to marijuana. Maybe that is because they were born after 1969. They completely MISSED the 1960's!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote