Have you switched Phones?

.... I may try another Android phone again at some future time.

After my faithful four year old Samsung S4 suffered from far too many drops on our tile floors, I replaced it last year with a very inexpensive (Black Friday ~ $100) Moto G4. The performance has been excellent and on par with much more costly android phones. The only potential downside to this model is it lacks a magnetic sensor so no compass apps will work (doesn't impact GPS apps).

Not a problem for me as I'm generally directionless anyhow...

See my separate thread on Pixels. Upgraded from Samsung Galaxy S3 to LG V30. Quite the difference.

I've had both IOS and Android and prefer Android because there is a wider variety of models.

I recently got a new Sony XZ1, replacing an older Sony that has been a workhorse. This new one has dual sim cards making international travel simple - pop in a local sim card and you're good to go. I was going to wait another year to replace my old Sony but they just released a new model and as with iPhone, the audio jack was removed. Deal breaker for me. That, and a $100 price drop on release of the new model was the catalyst for replacement now.

. ...I replaced it last year with a very inexpensive (Black Friday ~ $100) Moto G4. The performance has been excellent and on par with much more costly android phones. ...

+1 here.... our Moto G4 phones have been excellent at a fraction of the cost of the latest and greatest... best phones that we have ever had.

See my separate thread on Pixels. Upgraded from Samsung Galaxy S3 to LG V30. Quite the difference.

I realize anyone can get a lemon but both DW and I have owned LG phones (different models) that proved to be unreliable. But we really like their front-load washers! :)

I've changed brands of phones and operating systems many times. Started with Motorola windows phone, then HTC Android phone. Then Lumia Windows 8 phones (2). Now have had LG twice in a row, plus an LG tablet. At work I had a blackberry (2) and then Iphones (2). Right now, I'm not sure there is a stark or dramatic difference between the phones and manufacturers.

But of all of these, I like the LG product and environment the best. Although there was that rebooting glitch that one time. But everything else has been fine. [I have a V30 now]

I realize anyone can get a lemon but both DW and I have owned LG phones (different models) that proved to be unreliable. But we really like their front-load washers! :)
Like their fl washers & dryers too - and their TV's, and their fridge. May get their dishwasher next time - if there is one. Not crazy about the Bosch we have.

...I replaced it last year with a very inexpensive (Black Friday ~ $100) Moto G4. The performance has been excellent and on par with much more costly android phones...

+1 here.... our Moto G4 phones have been excellent at a fraction of the cost of the latest and greatest... best phones that we have ever had.

+2

DW and DMIL both have Moto G4s and they are quite happy. It's a great value for a midrange Android device. I prefer more cutting edge performance and features. Latest device is a OnePlus 3T. I got it 14 months ago. It cost around $400 but same specs (or better) compared to the flagship Samsung/Apple/Pixel devices at the time selling for $700 and up.

I'm seriously looking at moving to Google Fi as a provider, for a number of reasons. The phone choice is limited, but they have an inexpensive Moto X which seems perfect, although a little weak in the camera department.

I just switched from the Nexus 5X to the Moto X4 on Fi. My Nexus was starting to show signs of the infamous LG boot loop after 20 months of use, and Google gave me a $95 credit for trading it in before it completely died, which brought the net cost of the Moto down to $155.

I'm quite liking the Moto so far, though I do miss the way the Nexus has the fingerprint sensor on the back instead of on the front as the Moto does; also the power and volume buttons are switched on the Moto, so I'm still pressing vol up every time I mean to hit power. The Moto is fast, and it takes a micro SD card if you need to expand storage beyond 32G. I've read some negative reviews of the camera, but as a non-photo geek it's been good enough for me so far.

If you do switch to Fi, make sure to get a referral code from someone who uses the service and save $20 for each of you. Private message me if you don't already have someone and I'll send you my code.

When we retired, I had a Samsung Android and DW had a Motorola Startac flip phone. After a couple of years, DW wanted an iPad (the first retina display). Then she wanted an iPhone so she could automagically synchronize. So I bought an iPhone 4S from craigslist for $100.

(We sold the flip phone on craigslist for $40!)

Fast forward and DW has a new iPad and an 8Plus. I have her cast off 4S and iPad. All the connectivity is automatic. Being a former IT guy, I really like the fact that everything just works because I am retired.

Coincidentally, all our friends have Apple. But an old friend from college is an Android bigot. Whereas we just use our stuff. KISS

I still use my Win7 laptop but another buddy say that everything can be done on an iPad. So when the time comes. I will migrate my spreadsheets and docs to the iPad.

I upgraded from a 4 year old Moto X to a Pixel 2 in January to facilitate a switch to Project Fi. The feature I like best on my new $550 phone is the location of the fingerprint sensor on the back. It is a design that every phone should copy. But, other than being faster and having a better camera, it's still just a phone so I am struggling to be happy about the price that I paid for it.

I don't like the XL sized phones, so if i could redo my decision today I would buy either a Nexus 5 or a first gen Pixel. Either one would have to be used. I feel like a new phone is worth around $300 or so because they just are not significantly better than our old phones. What happened to Moore's law? Why aren't new phones twice as fast and half the price of old phones?

Regarding Apple versus Android, the main reasons for using Android are the wider choices (phones and apps) and relatively lower prices whereas with Apple, if you're already using their ecosystem, then it's probably easier to stay put. Also, as someone mentioned earlier, if you like having the latest phone, then Apple's resale value is a big benefit.

FWIW I own an Android phone, iPad Air, Dell Win7Pro laptop, and MacBook Air. I like each one for its uses, and I will give props to Apple for the quality of their iPads. If anything happens to my Air, I will definitely replace it with another iPad.

Love my top-load high capacity LG He washer, too! Best washer I ever had.

So far so good with my free LG phone. No problems at all. If any develop, I haven't lost a cent since CricketWireless gave it to me for free (thanks for that tip, BTW!)

Back
Top Bottom