Join Early Retirement Today

Haw Haw Haw...truly creative...
Old 04-17-2004, 03:10 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Haw Haw Haw...truly creative...

Hows this for a nice piece of spam? And its so exciting! I *always* wanted to be "Mr. Sir."

Subject: Nigerian Astronaut Wants To Come Home
Dr. Bakare Tunde
Astronautics Project Manager
National Space Research and Development Agency (NASRDA)
Plot 555
Misau Street
PMB 437
Garki, Abuja, FCT NIGERIA

Dear Mr. Sir,

REQUEST FOR ASSISTANCE-STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL

I am Dr. Bakare Tunde, the cousin of Nigerian Astronaut, Air Force Major Abacha Tunde. He was the first African in space when he made a secret flight to the Salyut 6 space station in 1979. He was on a later Soviet spaceflight, Soyuz T-16Z to the secret Soviet military space station Salyut 8T in 1989. He was stranded there in 1990 when the Soviet Union was dissolved. His other Soviet crew members returned to earth on the Soyuz T-16Z, but his place was taken up by return cargo. There have been occasional Progrez supply flights to keep him going since that time. He is in good humor, but wants to come home.

In the 14-years since he has been on the station, he has accumulated flight pay and interest amounting to almost $ 15,000,000 American Dollars. This is held in a trust at the Lagos National Savings and Trust Association. If we can obtain access to this money, we can place a down payment with the Russian Space Authorities for a Soyuz return flight to bring him back to Earth. I am told this will cost $ 3,000,000 American Dollars. In order to access the his trust fund we need your assistance.

Consequently, my colleagues and I are willing to transfer the total amount to your account or subsequent disbursement, since we as civil servants are prohibited by the Code of Conduct Bureau (Civil Service Laws) from opening and/ or operating foreign accounts in our names.

Needless to say, the trust reposed on you at this juncture is enormous. In return, we have agreed to offer you 20 percent of the transferred sum, while 10 percent shall be set aside for incidental expenses (internal and external) between the parties in the course of the transaction. You will be mandated to remit the balance 70 percent to other accounts in due course.

Kindly expedite action as we are behind schedule to enable us include downpayment in this financial quarter.

Please acknowledge the receipt of this message via my direct number 234 (0) 9-234-2220 only.

Yours Sincerely, Dr. Bakare Tunde
Astronautics Project Manager
tip@nasrda.gov.ng

http://www.nasrda.gov.ng/
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Haw Haw Haw...truly creative...
Old 04-17-2004, 04:49 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wow, those African astronauts make a pretty good living. $15M over 14 years of work means he's making something like $600K/yr and 8% interest. Must be due to the high cost of living in space.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 09:53 PM   #3

TH, did you actually get that email? I thought it was a joke, a satire of the Nigerian 419 scam. I saw it on The Register:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04/16/cosmic_419er/

I didn't think anyone was actually sending it out. That's too funny. What's sad is that somebody somewhere may fall for it.

For those who don't know what the Nigerian 419 scam is, here are a couple of links, the second being a site dedicated to baiting and scamming the scammers, usually humorously.

http://www.419eater.com/html/419faq.htm
http://www.419eater.com/

(These links are down at the moment, probably due to Slashdot.org linking to them, but they will probably be back up Sunday.)
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 10:05 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I didnt get it as spam...just as a forward with a wink...

If I remember right, 419 is the code section of nigerian law that deals with scams like the original nigerian fraud spam...

Made me laugh my butt off though. Anyone got some spare butt reattachment hardware?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 04-18-2004, 04:41 PM   #5

Reminds me of the old joke about a baby born
with a golden screw in his navel. When they
removed the screw his ass fell off. He, He,

Charlie
charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 07:12 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

You know, that sounds good.

I need a golden screw.
8)
Old 05-02-2004, 12:30 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

Dear Dr. Tunde,

Thank you so much for this opportunity to participate in this international-interspacial event.

I will be wiring you the requested funds via my other computer (Commodore 64). It is a bit slower that my current Dell model, but you should receive it within 14 years.

Thanks for your patience.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote